Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Scoob! (2020)

Apr 4, 2013
Tampa
So, the trailer for what is intended to be the first film in the Hanna-Barbera universe is out. I love the idea of bringing all these old characters back to the forefront, but I fear they're rushing this and pulling a Dawn of Justice/Mummy by inserting too many characters. That, and the voice cast isn't exactly wowing me.

Incidentally, if this can beat the odds and be a hit (which will be a challenge given the slump Warner Animation Group is in), who has the rights to build a new Scooby Doo ride. Do Universal and Six Flags both still have them?

So, the trailer for what is intended to be the first film in the Hanna-Barbera universe is out. I love the idea of bringing all these old characters back to the forefront, but I fear they're rushing this and pulling a Dawn of Justice/Mummy by inserting too many characters. That, and the voice cast isn't exactly wowing me.

Incidentally, if this can beat the odds and be a hit (which will be a challenge given the slump Warner Animation Group is in), who has the rights to build a new Scooby Doo ride. Do Universal and Six Flags both still have them?

I don't think either of them..properly own the ride rights. Could be very wrong, but I think Universal would have to renegotiate.

Love the trailer, excited to see how it works out.

I have to say, it looks cute for sure, but I'm just really hung up on the fact they didn't even approach Matthew Lillard about the role of Shaggy; He had such a bond with the role, and frankly he and Casey are the only two Shaggys I have ever cared for. He just was so committed to the legacy of the role, it is a shame he wasn't tapped for it.

I'm sure Will Forte will do fine, it just will take some getting used to, I suppose

It looks cute for sure, but I am also not a fan of some of the voices. As mentioned above Shaggy......is terrible. If you don't have Matthew Lillard......don't do it. Also, Scooby has too many words. Him having full sentences is throwing me off, and the voicing is......bad. Im sure it will do well, but for me growing up with Scooby.....going to pass.

It looks cute for sure, but I am also not a fan of some of the voices. As mentioned above Shaggy......is terrible. If you don't have Matthew Lillard......don't do it. Also, Scooby has too many words. Him having full sentences is throwing me off, and the voicing is......bad. Im sure it will do well, but for me growing up with Scooby.....going to pass.

As far as Scooby, I talked with @Alicia about it, and it seems like something they're trying to do more and more now with the animated shows and straight-home films when it comes to Scooby's voice.

And as for not having Matthew Lillard, I find it funny considering the same thing happened for when he was first casted as Shaggy, for the original live action Scooby-Doo film. I'm willing to give Forte a chance.

I have to say, it looks cute for sure, but I'm just really hung up on the fact they didn't even approach Matthew Lillard about the role of Shaggy; He had such a bond with the role, and frankly he and Casey are the only two Shaggys I have ever cared for. He just was so committed to the legacy of the role, it is a shame he wasn't tapped for it.

I'm sure Will Forte will do fine, it just will take some getting used to, I suppose

I wish we knew why they didnt get Matthew a chance. Hes been with the character for so long.
I really wish we found out their reason for not getting him

Trailer looked wonderful for me

We're getting (sort of) a Blue Falcon movie. All you millennials with your heretical live-action Scooby Doo take your complaints about Matthew Lillard into a room somewhere, let us old Gen Xers revel in that. I wasn't sure anyone else alive even remembered who Blue Falcon was, let alone that he'd ever get a new movie.

We're getting (sort of) a Blue Falcon movie. All you millennials with your heretical live-action Scooby Doo take your complaints about Matthew Lillard into a room somewhere, let us old Gen Xers revel in that. I wasn't sure anyone else alive even remembered who Blue Falcon was, let alone that he'd ever get a new movie.

giphy.gif

I'm more excited for seeing how the heck they handle Dick Dastardly, as he's actually being included in the official castlist.

Since we're all here, I suppose now's a good time to link this post that allegedly leaks the plot of Scooby Doo (note that this came out before the trailers were posted, so there's evidence that they're true):

...And if they are true, yikes.

I thought they were hoping to restart the franchise with this movie? Releasing on streaming doesn't feel like a good way to do that but I'm not against the straight to streaming route in general. Anyone know what the movie budget was?

I thought they were hoping to restart the franchise with this movie? Releasing on streaming doesn't feel like a good way to do that but I'm not against the straight to streaming route in general. Anyone know what the movie budget was?
I can’t find anything saying what the budget was, but theaters are going to be super crowded so some things just have to go to VOD.

Maybe the movie wasn’t being received well and the decided a theatrical run wasn’t worth it? It’s too bad bc the voice cast is great.