Cats (2019 film) | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Cats (2019 film)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Well... and none of the songs from the stage are Oscar eligible. So...

That's the big reason. You often see big-screen musical adaptations go this route to pad their potential Oscar nomination haul. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but in this case, even if the movie bombs/isn't well-received, the Academy is probably going to be unable to resist the idea of getting Taylor Swift on stage to perform the song during the broadcast. I'll be stunned if the song isn't nominated, whether it's any good or not.

Thinking on a new song, I kinda hope it’s quality enough to shift into the stage version. Victoria, as is, is one of the few cats without a solo—something that always struck me as odd since was presented as our liaison when entering the world of the Jellicles.

“You Must Love Me,” which was added to the movie adaptation of Evita, turned into a high point for the show. It feels lesser without the new song. I can see “Invisible Ghost” doing something similar.

I’m just surprised that cats is even being made.

Doesn’t everyone know it’s a fake show that’s completely made up on the spot? (Kimmy Schmidt reference)

In all seriousness, cats is of the weirdest broadways ever. Almost no one has read all those silly cat short stories. It’s basically like watching Seussical the musical if you didn’t know who Dr Seuss was and never read any of his stories.

Here’s hoping they bring some coherence to this story and an actual plot. For that, it couldn’t be anything like the broadway show. They certainly have the cast to show a compelling story.

Last edited:
Well... the show has a plot. It’s just extremely abstract and not directly stated.

Basically, the cats are vying to be reincarnated into a better life. Old Deuteronomy is the judge, which is why Macavity kidnaps him in the second act.

Well... the show has a plot.
Does it, Legacy? Does it?

I prefer Webber’s other masterpiece, Starlight Express. Also known as “Cats... but with trains.”

Cats gets all the credit. It was experimental and a massive gamble. And it even had tons working against it (Judi Dench, no Tim Rice, dance musical, etc). So the fact it was a success is a great story in my eyes. But plot? Agree to disagree. :)

Reactions: PenguinCowboy
Ehh, I watched the first trailer enough times that this didn't really bother me. I think that's the issue with the film is the fact that with CGI you go to uncanny valley. However I think the sets look incredible.

The faces arent even that bad, but the combination of cat bodies with human like feet and standing is super freaky lol.
When they walk around they look like freaky mutants lol.