Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Hong Kong Disneyland $1.4 Billion Overhaul

I never understood why they built a copy of Disneyland's castle in the first place, especially after the Disneyland Paris castle which is a work of perfection and really set the bar.

Glad it's getting some love and actually I quite like the fact it's an amalgamation of lots of different princess castles.

My only thing with this land is that aside from the castle, none of this is anything we haven’t seen here at WDW as it’s just FEA and a redressed SDMT.

It's bound to be a bit different to FEA as it's designed from scratch rather than to fit an existing show building and ride, but as mentioned it's hard to get excited about anything but the land itself.

Frozen feels like yet another IP Disney doesn't really know what to do with.

EDIT: Just for fun (!) I had a look at the layouts of FEA and the sat image of HK Frozen. Maybe it's me but the layouts look different whichever way I rotate them.
Comparison.jpg

Last edited:
It's bound to be a bit different to FEA as it's designed from scratch rather than to fit an existing show building and ride, but as mentioned it's hard to get excited about anything but the land itself.

Frozen feels like yet another IP Disney doesn't really know what to do with.

EDIT: Just for fun (!) I had a look at the layouts of FEA and the sat image of HK Frozen. Maybe it's me but the layouts look different whichever way I rotate them.
View attachment 11227

It's going to be very similar, maybe a different load/unload set up for capacity. Also I don't think the coaster is SDMT.

It's going to be very similar, maybe a different load/unload set up for capacity. Also I don't think the coaster is SDMT.
The concept art they released for the coaster looks exactly like SDMT and Marni has said as much that it’s a rethemed clone.

Hong Kong Disneyland and Ocean Park to be closed from Sunday to help prevent spread of virus: CCTV

It’s was a rough 2019 for Hong Kong Disneyland and now this. This resort can never catch a break.
Plus, Major Civil Unrest and near collapse of tourism. I don't think this park will ever succeed. The expansions, while nice, are too late, and are at a park in the wrong location for the times. It's a shame since it has, perhaps, the most beautiful setting of any Disney Park.

Plus, Major Civil Unrest and near collapse of tourism. I don't think this park will ever succeed. The expansions, while nice, are too late, and are at a park in the wrong location for the times. It's a shame since it has, perhaps, the most beautiful setting of any Disney Park.
Is sad to agree with this. This isn’t like Disneyland Paris which, with enough investment, can become a park many countries go to and become profitable.

But the opening of Shanghai all but sealed HKDL’s fate. They’re no longer going to get the push from mainland China (we’ve already seen this). Shanghai will need more additions and even another park, and will likely continue to be successful. Hong Kong, on the other hand, should focus on scaling back and being a local’s park. I don’t see a positive outcome here.

From Robert Niles, Theme Park Insider, today.....On Hong Kong Disneyland closing due to virus......"Hong Kong Disneyland already was enduring a dismal year for attendance so - to be honest -the closure will mean attendance will drop from "almost nothing" to "actually nothing" for a while". .....Telling it like it is for sure

From Robert Niles, Theme Park Insider, today.....On Hong Kong Disneyland closing due to virus......"Hong Kong Disneyland already was enduring a dismal year for attendance so - to be honest -the closure will mean attendance will drop from "almost nothing" to "actually nothing" for a while". .....Telling it like it is for sure
Dis saves on staffing. How much of that park do they own? 50%?

From wiki:
"Majority-owned (53%) by the Hong Kong Government but managed by Disney",
and "and it is owned and managed by Hong Kong International Theme Parks. "

I’d imagine Disney would look for a buyer for HKDL.

OLC would be a logical buyer (if they want to expand internationally), but that scares me. I wouldn’t want HKDL’s financial mess to start impacting Tokyo.

I’d imagine Disney would look for a buyer for HKDL.

OLC would be a logical buyer (if they want to expand internationally), but that scares me. I wouldn’t want HKDL’s financial mess to start impacting Tokyo.
I don't know why anyone would want it with Hong Kong's future being so blurry.....plus, among the locals, it's not even the fav park, Ocean's is. All that money they're plowing into improvements and they'll never get a hint of a Return on Investment. Plus Japanese/Chinese animosity would probably also keep OLC away. Not counting it's (Hong kong Disneyland) a potential disaster business investment)

Building a 2nd park there would possibly be the biggest mistake in all of Disney's park history. I'm going to wager it never gets built.

Frozen should get them a little spike though. Are we still of the belief it's Frozen's version of Seven Dwarves Mine Train?