Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Revenge of the Mummy Refurbishment (Late 2022)

10 hours is generous.

EPA has the park opening at 8 most days and they start cycling around an hour before park open. Universal closes on average around 9PM most of the year now and there's also many private events that the ride is rented out for. HHN specifically puts a lot of stress on it as the park operates from 7am to 2am on HHN days. Granted I believe rides close around midnight during HHN, but still, that's about 18 hours that Mummy is pumping during an HHN day from 7:00a-Midnight (considering they have to opening early for cycling).

I'd use 12 hours for the average amount it's operated per day and that's at minimum. Especially considering that even on days the park closes at 8 or 9, the ride is easily putting in 12-13 hours of cycling.
Oh, I know the Six Flag numbers are a tinge inflated and the Universal numbers are undersold. This doesn't even account for cycling differences (Six Flags will typically run only or (max) two trains at a time, whereas Universal... yeah.

The overall point being the age of attractions at seasonal parks cannot compare with year-round theme parks.

One of the big differences between Disney and Universal is that Disney will take down their signature rides for a few months for refurbishments. That extends their lifetimes. Universal can rarely afford to do that.

What would you say the reason is for this operational difference?

What would you say the reason is for this operational difference?
Options and interests in the daily guest experience.

If Mummy goes down... how many comparable, family thrill attractions are available at Universal? Gringotts is the closest (which isn't comparable and still new), but apart from that there isn't one. Which means if Mummy goes down for a six month refurb, that's six months of very unhappy guests.

Comparatively, if Tower goes down for six months, Disney will just point people to RnRC. Or, since the majority of guests hold park hoppers, point them to Space Mountain, or Splash Mountain, or Big Thunder, or Test Track, or Mission Space, or Expedition Everest...

See?

Options and interests in the daily guest experience.

If Mummy goes down... how many comparable, family thrill attractions are available at Universal? Gringotts is the closest (which isn't comparable and still new), but apart from that there isn't one. Which means if Mummy goes down for a six month refurb, that's six months of very unhappy guests.

Comparatively, if Tower goes down for six months, Disney will just point people to RnRC. Or, since the majority of guests hold park hoppers, point them to Space Mountain, or Splash Mountain, or Big Thunder, or Test Track, or Mission Space, or Expedition Everest...

See?
For me, this is why F&F should have been a family launch coaster. If Mummy or Gringotts goes down (even for technical difficulties) it feels there is a hole in the park

Rode it a number of times when I visited. Effects were hit and miss. Sometimes Imhotep didn't pop out of coffin and it was just a projection. Sometimes he popped out but mouth didn't move while he talked so he was basically Garfield. Sometimes everything was working. Not sure what some complaints were before about treasure room being too bright, it seemed fine to me.

It's a fun coaster. Some parts do seem a little cheap (especially the turntable scene, and the coaster parts in general with images of soul being taken or whatever the heck is supposed to be going on) but it's still a fun ride.

Rode it a number of times when I visited. Effects were hit and miss. Sometimes Imhotep didn't pop out of coffin and it was just a projection. Sometimes he popped out but mouth didn't move while he talked so he was basically Garfield. Sometimes everything was working. Not sure what some complaints were before about treasure room being too bright, it seemed fine to me.

It's a fun coaster. Some parts do seem a little cheap (especially the turntable scene, and the coaster parts in general with images of soul being taken or whatever the heck is supposed to be going on) but it's still a fun ride.
They send cars through too quickly IMO

Personally, I elect they build that "thesis" ride that's a Universal version of the Great Movie ride.

This would basically be my dream replacement (assuming Universal did it right). Little in Universal's recent track record at USF would indicate to me that they'd envision much value in a ride dedicated to history/the past, but I'd love to see it if ROTM had to go.

Better still be there in 5-6 years when my family plans to go again :) Best family thrill ride imo. Being in the dark, the cool effects with fire etc, anticipation of the launch and the drop where you can lose your stomach for a split second make it better than Hagrids imo. It doesn't get any better than screaming "oh $#@%" while sitting beside my son and wife during the descent after the lauch hill!

I live in North Carolina and right now the only 3 things that would bring me back to Universal Orlando are Mummy #1, Hagrids #2, and Dudleys/Jurassic #3.

I was pro screen rides because before 2 weeks ago the last time I had been was 20+ years ago and I loved bttf but after this recent vacation it seemed all the screen rides were not as good and basically the same and not worth the bad side effects I got from the scopolamine patch.

Also can someone please tell me what SLOP stands for?

Last edited:
Better still be there in 5-6 years when my family plans to go again :) Best family thrill ride imo. Being in the dark, the cool effects with fire etc, anticipation of the launch and the drop where you can lose your stomach for a split second make it better than Hagrids imo. It doesn't get any better than screaming "oh $#@%" while sitting beside my son and wife during the decent after the lauch hill!

I live in North Carolina and right now the only 3 things that would bring me back to Universal Orlando are Mummy #1, Hagrids #2, and Dudleys/Jurassic #3.

I was pro screen rides because before 2 weeks ago the last time I had been was 20+ years ago and I loved bttf but after this recent vacation it seemed all the screen rides were not as good and basically the same and not worth the bad side effects I got from the scopolamine patch.

Also can someone please tell me what SLOP stands for?
SLOP stands for Secret Life of Pets based on the movie of the same name. :thumbsup:

I have always wondered why Uni’s refurb schedule is so thin compared to Disney’s, especially because it’s always seemed that Universal has more capacity on average in their parks than Disney does.

Is it just that they don’t see it as a priority, or is it a fear that guests will put off trips if they take things down for a while, or is it something else?

EDIT: I just saw @Legacy ’s post explaining the answer to this, nevermind! I don’t really agree with the company’s logic, as the Hogwarts Express can easily take you over to Hagrid’s if Mummy is down, or ET if Cat in the Hat is, and so on, but hopefully this is something that changes with Epic Universe.

I have always wondered why Uni’s refurb schedule is so thin compared to Disney’s, especially because it’s always seemed that Universal has more capacity on average in their parks than Disney does.

Is it just that they don’t see it as a priority, or is it a fear that guests will put off trips if they take things down for a while, or is it something else?

EDIT: I just saw @Legacy ’s post explaining the answer to this, nevermind! I don’t really agree with the company’s logic, as the Hogwarts Express can easily take you over to Hagrid’s if Mummy is down, or ET if Cat in the Hat is, and so on, but hopefully this is something that changes with Epic Universe.
What if that person only got a one-park ticket? That's why it matters.
If Mummy closes, I'll have to change my tag line. :eek:ut:

Id have to change my NAME.
Or, now here me out, you don't change them in honor of a ride you enjoy.

Or, now here me out, you don't change them in honor of a ride you enjoy.
Don’t worry, I’d never actually change my name. It’s my favorite ride of all time it’s never going to leave my brain. Riding this at least once for all 10 days this coming April just Incase I’m not back until EU. My record for amount of mummy rides per trip is 15, I plan to break that.

It's funny. I remember the tepid initial response to Revenge of the Mummy when it debuted in 2004. Many criticized the reliance on the lengthy preshow footage (much of which isn't even really accessible anymore!) to understand the plot of the attraction, the lackluster/baffling ending, the overall short length, and the "cheap" cut outs on the coaster portion. Many felt it paled in comparison to KONGfrontation.