Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Revenge of the Mummy Refurbishment (Late 2022)

Even then, there are numerous attractions of varying thrill and type in both parks, and neither park is no worse off than any of the Florida Disney parks in that respect.
I don’t think you understand. If a person has a one-park ticket and Mummy is closed, that’s it. If ET closes, there’s no other all-ages practical ride in Studios. If MIB closes, there’s no other mid-thrill family ride (that isn’t F&F).

Universal has only started leveling out with one-day, two-park tickets in the last few years. There’s still a large percentage of daily guests that only buy a one-park. For them, it doesn’t matter what’s in the other park. Because of that Universal looks at refurbishments based on parks, and not the resort.

Conversely, Disney has effectively gotten a point where the majority of daily guests are on park-hoppers.

Id have to change my NAME.
I'll have to change my pants

Also, would it be incorrect to say that if Mummy is shut for the day that overall park GSAT scores go down? It has to be one of the if not the highest rated ride in the park

I don’t think you understand. If a person has a one-park ticket and Mummy is closed, that’s it. If ET closes, there’s no other all-ages practical ride in Studios. If MIB closes, there’s no other mid-thrill family ride (that isn’t F&F).

Universal has only started leveling out with one-day, two-park tickets in the last few years. There’s still a large percentage of daily guests that only buy a one-park. For them, it doesn’t matter what’s in the other park. Because of that Universal looks at refurbishments based on parks, and not the resort.

Conversely, Disney has effectively gotten a point where the majority of daily guests are on park-hoppers.
I like that Universal still views its parks as two separate experiences.

Last edited by a moderator:

No, I understand, I’m just arguing that the parks have enough on their own as they are right now to justify a proper refurbishment schedule.

There are gaps in the Studios park when it comes to hitting all the demographics properly, to be sure, but ET is not the only thing younger kids can do, and Mummy isn’t the only thrill ride in the park, so if they shut one down for three months to spruce it up it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

It's funny. I remember the tepid initial response to Revenge of the Mummy when it debuted in 2004. Many criticized the reliance on the lengthy preshow footage (much of which isn't even really accessible anymore!) to understand the plot of the attraction, the lackluster/baffling ending, the overall short length, and the "cheap" cut outs on the coaster portion. Many felt it paled in comparison to KONGfrontation.

Yup! It’s why I’m always cautious when fandom people peg a ride as a failure off the get go. A lot of people move into the community growing up with the ride and it becomes popular and loved. My prediction is the next ride to get this is Fallon.

Yup! It’s why I’m always cautious when fandom people peg a ride as a failure off the get go. A lot of people move into the community growing up with the ride and it becomes popular and loved. My prediction is the next ride to get this is Fallon.
I saw this with me growing up with Hipogriff and Atlantis. Fully agree.

In fairness, I think all of these are very justified criticisms, but I think the idiosyncrasies of the ride have ended up making it a sort of cult favorite among theme park lovers - and the general public just enjoys "mummies + indoor coaster."

In fairness, I think all of these are very justified criticisms, but I think the idiosyncrasies of the ride have ended up making it a sort of cult favorite among theme park lovers - and the general public just enjoys "mummies + indoor coaster."
I think the ride has some adventurous charm with a little bit of cheese just like the movies

I can't wait for Fast & Furious Supercharged to get this treatment :lmao:

I rode it for the first time ever a little over 4 years ago. I thought it was fantastic. Same with all of my family and family friends I went with as well (all who had never been).

So no nostalgia here. I’m sure there are plenty like me. And to be honest, with all the screens in USF, I’ll bet that actually helps Mummy’s popularity and GSAT. So maybe when the park was more practical it wasn’t as “refreshing” as it is now.

I thought it was an instant classic from my first ride in 2004.

And I went into it very much with an arms-crossed, "prove it" attitude, since it had replaced my beloved Kongfrontation. Younger me came off Revenge of the Mummy in a much better mood then when he got on it!

I never rode Kongfrontation so I don't miss it. My mom and brother rode it once and said never again it was so cheesy. Rode Mummy for first time in 2010 and loved it. Still love it. A little silly and cheap looking at times but still a fun ride that ends too quickly.

Or, now here me out, you don't change them in honor of a ride you enjoy.

Don’t worry, I’d never actually change my name. It’s my favorite ride of all time it’s never going to leave my brain. Riding this at least once for all 10 days this coming April just Incase I’m not back until EU. My record for amount of mummy rides per trip is 15, I plan to break that.

Oh no - I'd never change my tagline. Mummy is my fav ride - which may or may not have to do with how much I love the movie.. :dance:
BREAK YOUR RECORD! Mummy deserves allllll the rides! :cheers:

giphy.gif

I frankly think Fallon is a fine ride. Is it a little cringe? Maybe, but I don't mind Jimmy Fallon, and the motion base is fantastic.

I don't even think it [F&F] will become a cult classic. It has no charm.

I mean, the only thing that gets me on once a trip is the promise of getting a wink from the Rock. If that's not charm, then I don't know what is. /s

I'm honestly just interested to see what the Studios will look like in 15 years time. It seems like potentially everything could be completely overhauled barring Diagon. It could be a completely different park if they really work at it post-EU.

I do get why people are upset, I feel like it's Disney said they were closing RRNC back before TSL or SWGE opened. Sure, there is still RRR/ToT for family thrill but they both serve different purposes.

I frankly think Fallon is a fine ride. Is it a little cringe? Maybe, but I don't mind Jimmy Fallon, and the motion base is fantastic.

I mean, the only thing that gets me on once a trip is the promise of getting a wink from the Rock. If that's not charm, then I don't know what is. /s
Best part of the whole ride