Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DHS)

I don’t want to see it fail. I want to ride it ASAP. But if there’s no AP previews, CM previews, or soft opens, and it opens to trouble, of course people will comment—and comparisons to Hagrid are inevitable.

For the record, I by no means was I attempting to single you out!

I just get sense from the tenor of some parts of this discussion that there are some folks that would rather see hardcore Disney fans have to eat some crow than see the ride actually open and function well.

Supposedly the grand opening ceremony is gonna be something fairly flashy, whether the ride works or not. Stunt performers hired and rumors of drones.
I’m assuming this will be for media, days in advance, and not the day of? I know some reporters are going earlier in the week for media days, but they’ve been pretty selective on who and no plus-ones.

I’m assuming this will be for media, days in advance, and not the day of? I know some reporters are going earlier in the week for media days, but they’ve been pretty selective on who and no plus-ones.
That seems to be how Disney does their “Grand Openings” these days, so probably.

For the record, I by no means was I attempting to single you out!

I just get sense from the tenor of some parts of this discussion that there are some folks that would rather see hardcore Disney fans have to eat some crow than see the ride actually open and function well.
I would greatly enjoy the former, but not at the expense of the latter.

I would greatly enjoy the former, but not at the expense of the latter.

There's nothing wrong with the instinct of wanting to see some hypocrisy exposed, but even the most die-hard Universal fanatic should want Rise of the Resistance to be successful, both for Disney as a company and purely on its merits as an experience.

Every theme park fan, whether we lean towards Disney or Universal, should want as many great rides as we can get, wherever we can get them.

There's nothing wrong with the instinct of wanting to see some hypocrisy exposed, but even the most die-hard Universal fanatic should want Rise of the Resistance to be successful, both for Disney as a company and purely on its merits as an experience.

Every theme park fan, whether we lean towards Disney or Universal, should want as many great rides as we can get, wherever we can get them.
Couldn't agree more --

When’s media day?
According to vloggers, it's the day before. According to print media, it's the 2nd and 3rd. Sooo, my guess is, there will be different media events/previews for the three days leading up to the opening. Not clear whether they will have a chance to ride or not, or, when an opening ceremony would be.

According to vloggers, it's the day before. According to print media, it's the 2nd and 3rd. Sooo, my guess is, there will be different media events/previews for the three days leading up to the opening. Not clear whether they will have a chance to ride or not, or, when an opening ceremony would be.

I don’t think Disney knows who’ll ride yet.

Well, on the flip side, a failed attraction (or series of failed attractions) can shake a company’s design methodology of its complacency. Look at the F&F debacle, which effectively halted multiple screen-focused products in their tracks so Uni could go back to the drawing board.

Now, Disney (on the surface) hasn’t had the track record of over reliance on a delivery method that Universal has. But Disney IS opening 3 trackless, screen-focused rides in a year—with two in one park. Throw in the comments about Disney “not understanding their IPs” based on the Marvel designs (which, screen based rides), and suddenly a subpar reception to Rise is an opportunity to shake a lethargy before it sinks in too deep.

I can't get over them being the size of a small SUV!

Aren't drones relatively cheap to operate and can follow a planned journey? I know they can be noisey but I'm surprised we don't see them used more.
Theme parks REALLY don't want anything flying overhead of the guests. Things like the Disney Springs drone show and the Hogwarts show in Hollywood specifically fly over areas without guests.

I guess Disney doesn't consider invited press to be "guests" though, so they do things like this, or the New Fantasyland dragon, over their heads at media events no problem.

Well, on the flip side, a failed attraction (or series of failed attractions) can shake a company’s design methodology of its complacency. Look at the F&F debacle, which effectively halted multiple screen-focused products in their tracks so Uni could go back to the drawing board.

Now, Disney (on the surface) hasn’t had the track record of over reliance on a delivery method that Universal has. But Disney IS opening 3 trackless, screen-focused rides in a year—with two in one park. Throw in the comments about Disney “not understanding their IPs” based on the Marvel designs (which, screen based rides), and suddenly a subpar reception to Rise is an opportunity to shake a lethargy before it sinks in too deep.

Possibly. But I fear the more likely scenario in Disney's case would simply be that they stop seriously/consistently investing in the parks for a lengthy period of time.