The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 48 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the forum!

So it's an interesting idea and it's good sussing, but there is the King thing and HHN doesn't tend to bring movies back the year after unless they made $300m or something. As far as box office goes, Pet Sematary was certainly a decent success, but not really enough to call it a huge, zeitgeist capturing hit like A Quiet Place, Us, Get Out, The Conjuring or IT.

Wrt The Shining, I believe there actually was a bit of legal trouble with The Shining. Stephen King's lawyer apparently contacted Universal and asked that they take King's name off the promotional material, hence why it was called "Stanley Kubrick's The Shining" in all the promotion. Afaik, the rights to PS actually reverted to King this year, so all maze stuff has to go through him.

The Shining is more associated with Kubrick at this point. When people think of The Shining, how many think of hedge animals, wasp nests, croquet malets, etc.? Most of the most famous imagery/quotes/scenes from the film aren't even in the book ("Here's Johnny," "all work and no play," blood elevator, "come and play with us Danny", Hallorann's death, heck I'm pretty sure "Redrum" isn't played upon as much).

Creepshow I'm guessing is more associated with Romero.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darko
The Shining is more associated with Kubrick at this point. How many people associate The Shining with hedge animals, wasp nests, croquet malets, etc.?

Creepshow I'm guessing is more associated with Romero.

While I could see Creepshow more related towards Romero..lest we forget, that quite a few of the stories featured from the Hollywood maze, were stories that were written by King for when the original film came out. I doubt that just because it's directed by Romero, that King's word doesn't have some say in that.

While I could see Creepshow more related towards Romero..lest we forget, that quite a few of the stories featured from the Hollywood maze, were stories that were written by King for when the original film came out. I doubt that just because it's directed by Romero, that King's word doesn't have some say in that.

I've heard they didn't use Jordy Verill because it starred King. Could've easily shipped some of the costumes from Seeds.

I've heard they didn't use Jordy Verill because it starred King. Could've easily shipped some of the costumes from Seeds.

I can be corrected, but I believe Murdy or Chris Williams has spoken in comments with fans of an interest towards continuing Creepshow for Hollywood, so it could've been more of holding off until seeing if Creepshow resonates.

__

The point I'm making lies in that, I do have to wonder if Creepshow got a high enough of a public reception to earn interest in continuing to use King for HHN. And in doing so, they have to now talk to King on subjects such as his likliness. It could lead into the potential of Pet Semetary or IT, depending on how far the conversations could go for.

Have lurked for a while. This is my first post. Hi everyone. I have a good theory on this I think, but there's one thing holding me up.
* This picture is called The Fairy Fountain
* The Fairy Fountain is also the name of a side quest in The Legend of Zelda
* Zelda happens to be the name of a freaky side character in Pet Semetary (both original and remake this year)
* Pet Semetary did relatively well at the box office AND it's so recent that it won't be out of mind
* Paramount owns Pet Semetary. Not sure if that's good or bad, but at least it's not Disney.

So I will guess Pet Semetary. The only thing holding me up about it is that it is a Stephen King which obviously brings issues. But they were able to bring The Shining a couple of years ago, so who knows?
Good post.

This is the amount of thought needed to figure out this year’s clues. If not more, still. The solution will be a defined connection of dots, keyed to specific details...

In both directions—clue to solution and solution to clue.

Remember, I’m operating in the opposite direction as everyone else. I’m looking for threads that flit out from what I’m hearing, sometimes from reading wikis or googling trivia about the solution.

Good post.

This is the amount of thought needed to figure out this year’s clues. If not more, still. The solution will be a defined connection of dots, keyed to specific details...

Remember, I’m operating in the opposite direction as everyone else. I’m looking for threads that flit out from what I’m hearing, sometimes from reading wikis or googling trivia about the solution.

For the 30th anniversary, this is exactly how it should be. :D

Reactions: WasabiRyo and Darko
Good post.

Thank you Legacy. I find puzzles like this pretty entertaining. Just wondering, do you ever tell anyone if their guess is correct or not, or if they're on the right path? Or is it left open-ended? Thanks again Legacy.

Thank you Legacy. I find puzzles like this pretty entertaining. Just wondering, do you ever tell anyone if their guess is correct or not, or if they're on the right path? Or is it left open-ended? Thanks again Legacy.
In the past, I have. I’m not planning to do a lot of it this year, as it’s caused misinterpretations of things (where people assumed my liking a post meant it was correct instead of just a good post).

For example (and because you’re new and I appreciate that your guess helped me bring up a topic I’ve meant to), I will say “Pet Semetary” is not the solution to this clue.

The vagueness around that statement (which implies Pet Semetary could be the solution to another clue) would, previously, cause people to immediately assume Pet Semetary is the solution to another clue. My vagueness is intentional, sure, but only because I don’t want to unequivocally squash ideas. The mis-assumptions are frustrating, though.

Also, for clarity’s sakes, Pet Semetary is not the solution to the first clue either.

I can be corrected, but I believe Murdy or Chris Williams has spoken in comments with fans of an interest towards continuing Creepshow for Hollywood, so it could've been more of holding off until seeing if Creepshow resonates.

__

The point I'm making lies in that, I do have to wonder if Creepshow got a high enough of a public reception to earn interest in continuing to use King for HHN. And in doing so, they have to now talk to King on subjects such as his likliness. It could lead into the potential of Pet Semetary or IT, depending on how far the conversations could go for.
So based on the wait time and me taking a lot of first timers to Hollywood it wasn't super popular but also not a fail. I heared a lot of bad things about KK while showing a few first timers around. As well as GB. So I would say despite low waittimes Creepshow was recieved ok

In the past, I have. I’m not planning to do a lot of it this year, as it’s caused misinterpretations of things (where people assumed my liking a post meant it was correct instead of just a good post).

For example (and because you’re new and I appreciate that your guess helped me bring up a topic I’ve meant to), I will say “Pet Semetary” is not the solution to this clue.

The vagueness around that statement (which implies Pet Semetary could be the solution to another clue) would, previously, cause people to immediately assume Pet Semetary is the solution to another clue. My vagueness is intentional, sure, but only because I don’t want to unequivocally squash ideas. The mis-assumptions are frustrating, though.

Also, for clarity’s sakes, Pet Semetary is not the solution to the first clue either.

Ah I understand. I haven't followed very much in past year's so I wasn't sure how this all worked. So everyone will basically put up there best guesses and we'll find out when the houses start getting announced? Should be like a pool or something for whoever gets one right lol. Thanks Legacy.

Let's change topics.

New clue.

51OuKEYbu7L.jpg

Okay, since I swung and missed on the first, I am going to take another swing at this.

* The Fairy Fountain was painted by John Lavery and was first shown in 1888 at the Glasgow International Exhibition.
* I can't make any connections between anything directly horror-related and "The Fairy Fountain" or "John Lavery".
* However, the year 1888 was a very prominent year for one of the most famous mass murders of all time - Jack The Ripper.
* Jack The Ripper, of course, killed most of his victims in London. However, it appears it also murdered a lady named Mary McKenzie in Glasgow (so the year "1888" and the place "Glasgow" are the connections to the painting Legacy posted in my theory).

* So, I have 2 guesses:
1-It's a reference to Jack The Ripper (which could make an amazing house) OR
2-The victim (Mary McKenzie) is the key, and it's maybe a reference to Bloody Mary since it's an anniversary year

That's all I can come up with for tonight. Forgive me if this is too far out there or stupid. Trying to have fun with it.

EDIT/ADDITIONAL INFO: Courtesy of @OhHaiInternet95 for making the connection from my Jack The Ripper guess further: "I'm probably wrong, but Jack the Ripper = Body Collectors = Terra Cruentes? A TC house would undoubtedly include them, since that's where they started and they were the most iconic thing that year."

....I hadn't made this connection in the slightest. So it could be a Body Collectors sequel OR possibly a Terra Cruentus house/zone/or (wishful thinking) icon reveal. This makes a TON of sense now because I felt good about my dot connection to JTR, but it felt unfinished until @OhHaiInternet95 chimed in.

Last edited:
So based on the wait time and me taking a lot of first timers to Hollywood it wasn't super popular but also not a fail. I heared a lot of bad things about KK while showing a few first timers around. As well as GB. So I would say despite low waittimes Creepshow was recieved ok

@HHNManics or @Freak might be able to correct me on the subject, but I think when we chatted with Murdy at the midpoint of the final night, Creepshow was actually getting a rather positive buzz from the GSATS.

Okay, since I swung and missed on the first, I am going to take another swing at this.

* The Fairy Fountain was painted by John Lavery and was first shown in 1888 at the Glasgow International Exhibition.
* I can't make any connections between anything directly horror-related and "The Fairy Fountain" or "John Lavery".
* However, the year 1888 was a very prominent year for one of the most famous mass murders of all time - Jack The Ripper.
* Jack The Ripper, of course, killed most of his victims in London. However, it appears it also murdered a lady named Mary McKenzie in Glasgow (so the year "1888" and the place "Glasgow" are the connections to the painting Legacy posted in my theory).

* So, I have 2 guesses:
2-The victim (Mary McKenzie) is the key, and it's maybe a reference to Bloody Mary since it's an anniversary year

That's all I can come up with for tonight. Forgive me if this is too far out there or stupid. Trying to have fun with it.
I like you. You’ve got a good head on your shoulders.

* So, I have 2 guesses:

D-did we find our Legacy-decripter..? :what: :tease:

This one is really interesting. I wish I had thought about it before some others had gone down their respective paths, because I believe The Conjuring (or an "offshoot" of The Conjuring) is the correct path from what my head is telling me. I know some others have theorized The Conjuring already, so my apologies to those folks if I'm reiterating some of your notes.

* The clue is indeed the Coat of Arms for Francis Patrick Keough
* Francis Patrick Keough was born in Connecticut and was the Bishop of Providence, Rhode Island
* Lorraine Warren was born and died in Connecticut.
* The house that inspired The Conjuring is located in Rhode Island.
** So that's 2 connections to Francis Patrick Keough and The Conjuring

* Now, the fact that the clue itself is a coat of arms for a clergyman points me through The Conjuring and directly to The Nun (remember that Legacy warned us that the clues can lead to an answer that is simply another clue - The Conjuring could be the answer to part of the clue, but not the final answer).

* The Nun follows a Roman Catholic priest and a nun in Romania. Francis Patrick Keough was part of the Roman Catholic Church, so there is a general connection there.
* The Nun also has a very gothic feel to it. Coats of Arms generally have a gothic feel to them as well.
* The saying at the bottom of the Coat of Arms is "Maria Spes Nostra", which translates to "Mary, our hope". One of the more famous prayers in Roman Catholicism is "Hail Mary", which stems from that fact that Roman Catholics believe Jesus to be our savior (or hope). Mary Magdalene was the mother for Jesus in Roman Catholicism, thereby making her our hope and savior by the transitive property. So that's where the "Mary" part of the clue ties into the religious aspect which transcends The Conjuring through to The Nun.

* So, for me, the dual connection of Keough to The Conjuring through similar birth state to Lorraine Warren and the fact that he was the Bishop of a state which housed the inspiration to The Conjuring. Then, the religious aspects come into play to take it from The Conjuring to The Nun. The Nun also performed VERY well at the box office and, coincidentally, there is a sequel in the works right now that is scheduled to release this October.

Now, the fact that The Nun is a Warner Brothers film is an issue that I cannot explain away and makes me think this is off base. However, MAYBE the fact that the sequel is releasing at the end of October, Warner Brothers makes a deal with Universal to allow the property at HHN 30 which, in turn, will RAISE the profile of the release and Warner Brothers pulls in more money from the movie BECAUSE of HHN. That might be more off track, but there are enough connecting factors here for me to take the swing and guess The Nun as the final answer to this clue.

Last edited:
The Conjuring finally coming to HHN? I mean what you said really seems to stick, a good amount of time has passed that house could come to the event and with the new movie coming out, it definitely would give a lot of good PR for WB I'm sure they are probably not going to do another Horror Made Here event because I think they've come to their senses that they cannot reach the level that HHN has worked so hard to get to. I sorta did like the Conjuring series better than the Insidious franchise because the films take on the 70s and so forth, I've always loved films with 70s or 60s even further back and involving horror in the mix, those types of aesthetics and stuff, The Nun was up there as being one of those films I'd sit back and watch and take in the scenery, the films very eerie at times and the Nuns look very demonic, I hope Conjuring comes, would love to see the entire Conjuring Universe be given it's due.

Status
Not open for further replies.