Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Free Guy

Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
Directed by Shawn Levy, the film stars Ryan Reynolds, Taika Waititi, Jodie Comer and Joe Keery. The movie is rumored to be sort of a Video Game-version of The Truman Show.

Footage from this movie was shown at NYCC over the weekend, although unfortunately has not yet been released publicly. It's being received very positively so far. This clip introducing the cast (featuring Green Lantern jokes) was released, however:

A good description I heard someone use for the trailer is Wreck-it Ralph meets The LEGO Movie. Watching the trailer again, that seems pretty accurate if those two merged in live action form.

So while Dune just got moved, a new trailer was dropped for Free Guy today, still claiming a December 11th date. I can't imagine theaters will be open to support a release though, especially if WW84 and other movies change dates.

So while Dune just got moved, a new trailer was dropped for Free Guy today, still claiming a December 11th date. I can't imagine theaters will be open to support a release though, especially if WW84 and other movies change dates.

Perhaps they're planning on a Bill and Ted like situation--of releasing the film in Drive Ins and outdoor theaters, and then releasing it on digital services? I can't imagine a Mulan situation is in their mind right now--and it'd be a way of doing both sides.

Perhaps they're planning on a Bill and Ted like situation--of releasing the film in Drive Ins and outdoor theaters, and then releasing it on digital services? I can't imagine a Mulan situation is in their mind right now--and it'd be a way of doing both sides.

By December, most outdoor theaters around the country are closed due to cold temperatures.

Like Mulan, this was not a cheap movie and Disney just lost a lot of money on that digital move. This was at least $150-175M from what I remember. I doubt they want put their eggs in the digital basket again so soon.

I’m glad Disney isn’t throwing this film out to die in May. I feel like this film could potentially be the start of a franchise (and it had a huge budget if I remember correctly) and it looks like a good time and with Ryan Reynolds starring, I’m definitely interested.

So this trailer gives away too much, but oh well.

Love the feeling of it being a cross between The Truman Show and Wreck-It Ralph, but really, I just hope this movie winds up being as good as I want it to be, which is a fun time at the movies.