Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nintendo Switch

It’s a pokemon game. It’s what I expected and I’m having fun with it.
So it feels like the past releases. For me to get back in I was hoping for some kind of big leap forward now that the series is on console.

How do you feel about the National Dex?

So it feels like the past releases. For me to get back in I was hoping for some kind of big leap forward now that the series is on console.

How do you feel about the National Dex?

I mean, I've only played an hour. And it sounds like from your prior posts you've made up your mind on what this experience is like. I mean it's Pokemon; sure the graphics are way better with more polygons, better textures plus the animations are just way better thanks to the Switch hardware. There's lots of small quality of life improvements too with a better battle system. But in the end of the day's "it's just Pokemon". I'm not sure what else to say or for you to expect based on that. If you want a more in depth or advanced JRPG check out Persona which has you capturing Persona and battling with them.

I mean, I've only played an hour. And it sounds like from your prior posts you've made up your mind on what this experience is like. I mean it's Pokemon; sure the graphics are way better with more polygons, better textures plus the animations are just way better thanks to the Switch hardware. There's lots of small quality of life improvements too with a better battle system. But in the end of the day's "it's just Pokemon". I'm not sure what else to say or for you to expect based on that. If you want a more in depth or advanced JRPG check out Persona which has you capturing Persona and battling with them.
Well I only have a Switch and before I was simply reporting on the situation. I did want to hear what the game is actually like.

Didn’t find these until now but if this is where the story goes I am so freaking ready for this game :freak:
Part 1:

Part 2:

Last edited:
Regardless in the manner of S/S's quality, it's actually doing gangbusters; with the title being the best launch for the Nintendo Switch in Japan (along with high sales in the UK).

Pokemon Sword and Shield sold 1.36 million retail copies in first three days in Japan - Gematsu

UK Charts: Pokémon Sword and Shield post huge opening weekend sales | GamesIndustry.biz
Doesn’t really surprise me. There’s a lot more casual players for whom the issues others have aren’t an issue.

Awesome, GameFreak can continue to pump out glorified 3DS games!
Hm, didn’t think you’d be on that side.

Imo Game Freak should’ve partnered with Genius Sonority on this. They’ve had experience putting Pokémon on console with two games on GameCube and Battle Revolution on Wii. Even though they were obviously lower resolution and didn’t have open areas like routes and stuff I feel like the environments in Colosseum and Gale of Darkness looked a lot more like what you’d expect from Pokémon on a home console than what I’ve seen of Sword and Shield.

Awesome, GameFreak can continue to pump out glorified 3DS games!

So I'm 20 hours into Shield now and it's clear this just is a bad argument. There's lots in this game that wouldn't be possible on a 3DS and plenty of things that push the gameplay forward beyond "big pokemon". My favorites are the new gym concept with challenges, the wild area and the ability to challenge yourself with over leveled pokemon right away, the camping mechanic giving your team a HP/PP/EXP boost based on interactions and the curry mini game, less load times and larger areas, and more.

If the bar was "Breath of the Wild but Pokemon" then yes, this doesn't hit it. But as someone who's playing the game it's very much a big leap forward for the franchise.

So I'm 20 hours into Shield now and it's clear this just is a bad argument. There's lots in this game that wouldn't be possible on a 3DS and plenty of things that push the gameplay forward beyond "big pokemon". My favorites are the new gym concept with challenges, the wild area and the ability to challenge yourself with over leveled pokemon right away, the camping mechanic giving your team a HP/PP/EXP boost based on interactions and the curry mini game, less load times and larger areas, and more.

If the bar was "Breath of the Wild but Pokemon" then yes, this doesn't hit it. But as someone who's playing the game it's very much a big leap forward for the franchise.

Joe, I'll agree to disagree and leave it at that. All those things are set dressing over the same tired formulas, undynamic looking gameplay, and lazy visual design that has become the hallmark for the series.

The fact that Mario Kart 8 hasn't even had a DLC for it on Switch, is nuts considering the sales of MK8 in general.
Early on there were rumors there would be MK8 DLC. I find it odd it never happened. There also was a rumor of Pikmin 4, I think rumor said it was as good as finished, but nothing was ever heard, though I hope that might be a 2020 surprise.