Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Imagineering Story

That was just Episode 1 of Eisner screwing up. Still got DCA, HKDL and an under built DAK for next episode. TDS will be there though as a bright spot.

Oh for sure. Interested in how they discuss DCA 1.0.

I just really didn’t picture him admitting the Paris failures.

I was impressed Pressler showed up for an interview--he had to know he'd be painted as the villain. Meanwhile Eisner comes off as a wise old sage looking back over his life.

I realize they don't fit the narrative being told (and Rohde, the star up of the show, has a bug up his butt about the one), but sad DisneyQuest was reduced to a visual footnote and Pleasure Island and Typhoon were excluded entirely. Unique first-of-their-kind experiences I'd love more backstory on. Maybe saving for a second season or spin-off.

I was impressed Pressler showed up for an interview--he had to know he'd be painted as the villain. Meanwhile Eisner comes off as a wise old sage looking back over his life.

I realize they don't fit the narrative being told (and Rohde, the star up of the show, has a bug up his butt about the one), but sad DisneyQuest was reduced to a visual footnote and Pleasure Island and Typhoon were excluded entirely. Unique first-of-their-kind experiences I'd love more backstory on. Maybe saving for a second season or spin-off.

I chuckled when Pressler was defending DCA...

I thought it was most interesting was that the Imagineers knew exactly what they were building when they designed these parks.. "half day parks" with lower budgets and not much to do.. it's just never sold that way by Disney which is where the backlash would come and it's so strange because their expansions always seem so reactionary.

So some observations from the latest episode.

1. the Disney Seas Expansion model is on display with Peter Pan, tangled, and frozen areas.
  2. The lights on footage of RRC
  3. Joe Rhode removing the carousel of progress/ innovations building from Disneyland tomorrowland land model
  4. Great episode. Comparing and contrasting DCA 1.0 and TDS was a smart move.

Last edited:
Only just watched Ep 4. The series just gets more and more interesting, really loving it.

The tone of this episode seemed to suggest Disney has learned from it's mistakes, but that doesn't really line up with Bob Chapek still having a job/being in power...:thud:

Only just watched Ep 4. The series just gets more and more interesting, really loving it.

The tone of this episode seemed to suggest Disney has learned from it's mistakes, but that doesn't really line up with Bob Chapek still having a job/being in power...:thud:
I reject the premise that that's a mistake.

An thought: I find it interesting that Iwerks actually wanted to tackle the subject of change and evolution, especially in the contexts of the elements given for Episode 5.

Kim Irvine is the absolute MVP of Episode 5.

She's been an MVP for most of this series, considering just how much she's been given a light of for her past endeavors with the family background.

The episode was a lot better than I anticipated, and I love the fact that they addressed a more modern issue, in that people don't like change and don't like things to stay the same. It's a fascinating stance, especially to see it done with some big examples (but to me, I very much wish that they used the Alice renovation instead of Pan, considering just how extensive that one is compared to Pete).

By far my favorite episode so far. The early Iger years were right around when I started getting hooked on theme park forums and updates. To revisit some of those projects really brought back some great memories. I was worried after the episode description sounded like nothing more than a fluff piece on Iger but, was pleasantly surprised with the end product. Yes, some of Iger's choices were brought up, but this is a documentary about The Walt Disney Companies history as much as Imagineering. It is fundamental to understand the company's troubled history during Esiner years in order to understand projects like DCA 2.0 and Hong Kongs Disneyland's expansions. The Disney company is so rich in history that I defiantly see a Season 2 with this show if they wanted to. There is just so much analysis to be made about the company as a whole and the effects it had on the parks. Hopefully, it proves popular enough to warrant it. Even with everything discussed there still remain so many other projects to showcase.

The episode itself did a remarkable job of balancing the cause and effect of the company's business decisions in the 2000s. It's obvious the parks had grown stale during the Eisner era and until just recently still were (Epcot Future World). However in a little over a decade since Esnier, the company has grown and along with it, the parks have thankfully seen a resurgence in newly updated experiences. I fully expected whoever takes over after Iger will continue the Iger modal of building experiences that are relevant to today's changing audiences. Even the show acknowledges the careful balancing act that is keeping theme parks fresh while preserving its charm.

I hope the final episode dives deep into Disney World's lack of expansions while Imagineering was busy overhauling DCA 1.0 and rectifying their past mistakes. Likewise, I think it will showcase how Imagineers have begun using technology to not only push the boundaries of special effects on attraction but transform the overall guest experience with projects like Fastpass+ and character interactive experiences. The last few years have seen a lot of money being poured into growing the resort's infrastructure with projects like the Skyliner and Fastpass+ as well as attractions. It seems a fitting way to end the season.

While I expected they will eventually make a follow up to this season, I think it will be more like Ken Burn's New York Series. In which every couple of years they produce updates and use periods in the company's history to showcase how it relates to the company today.

Last edited:
I wish they had gone into New Fantasyland and the change from original design to final product. They basically skipped that it happened.

Last edited:
I wish they had gone into New Fantasyland and the change from original design to final product. They basically skipped that it happened.
This is why I want more docs from Iwerks and Co. I want two hours just on that.

I was anticipating that was something that would get sugarcoated, despite being the cause of multiple high-up execs getting ushered out of the company.