Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DHS)

How do you keep people from forming a line in front of the ride all day though?

I think the part that's frustrating is that you are given a number...with no indication of when you'll be called back except "probably this afternoon", which in reality could be late morning or even far into the night. For some people, they would prefer to wait in line, get on the ride and leave.

A solution? Put a return time on it. That way, if this person wants to go back to the hotel, eat or go to another park, they're not forced to rush back if their two hour window is called. Make it like a fastpass.

If you know your giving out 120 groups for the day, disperse the passes and return times accordingly. If you're not going to open standby at all, just do it that way and get better guest response. You know the ride will go down and crowds may back up at some points, but account for it.

I think they should have boarding passes for the first half of the day and use a stand by line for the second half of the day. That way those who missed getting a boarding pass could still get an opportunity to ride if they are willing to wait.
You just pissed off those people that showed up early and just missed getting a boarding pass. Like @Alicia said above. The issues at heart is increasing supply or lowering demand. The supply can only go up so much. The other option is augment demand. Disney could make it an up charge or raise ticket prices. I dont think anyone wants that. So we are stuck with an imperfect solution until demand does down. That can be a month, a year, or a decade. Disney cant control how many people want to ride the ride. We can discuss how they should have designed for increased capacity. Maybe a third row or a third vehicle per group. But then that goes down the rabbit hole of design feasability. You would assume disney made their best effort to design the ride for as high of a capacity as possible without sacrificing the vision of the ride.

You don't, if they want to wait let them wait. That's the point.
It’s pretty clear Chapek won’t allow the optics of a line out the door of this ride, at all costs. I’m just explaining the logic at play here, not that I think one way is better over another.

It’s pretty clear Chapek won’t allow the optics of a line out the door of this ride, at all costs. I’m just explaining the logic at play here, not that I think one way is better over another.

I don’t think he’s pulling the strings on this one, especially since Disney’s said boarding passes will only last the first few weeks.

FWIW, arrived at 5 yesterday (Monday), in at 6:30, boarding group 13 (first one for the day, which was interesting). Went on MFSR while we waited. Got evac’d at the end of our mission, and as we were walking backstage our boarding group was called. Walked through the queue and into the attraction immediately - no stops, no restarts, no mess. A perfect ride.

well, until the end when my seatbelt was stuck in locked mode at unload (like, REALLY stuck) and a tech had to come unlock it. I was terrified I was holding up the ride and would be the cause for any downtime, but after 2 minutes that seemed like an eternity, it was fine.
Either way, I cannot WAIT to do it all again (fingers crossed) on Thursday

Boarding groups gone already again. Things seem to be pretty consistent on that front with them filling up around the same time every day.

It will be interesting if Disney keeps this up after the holiday crush. If they do I plan on skipping spending lots of money at restaurants and shopping at Disney Springs so I can get to bed by 8pm and wake-up at 3am. I'm sure Disney won't mind that I spend a lot less money on property just so I can ensure that I get to ride their new ride.:thumbsup:

The bottom line problem Disney has with good new E ticket attractions is that Disney has so many Hotel rooms on site. That's a good problem to have if you're Disney. But no matter what system they use, it has little chance of success in the attraction's first months. Now, if the Imagineers would design rides with POC or Haunted Mansion capacity levels, that would help to alleviate, though not solve,the problem. But they don't.

Ok, so I talked with a friend in the know about these questionable opening procedures and was told that the reason they are doing it is because they want the "at capacity" sign out in front of the tapstyles as early as possible because of 2 reasons. 1. The attraction is running at a low capacity. And 2. The parks capacity as a whole is pretty low and those with higher boarding groups are left wandering the park until their time is called. They want the "at capacity" signs out front early to encourage folks to go to another park instead of DHS. If they wait until the scheduled opening there would be more people who can't get on the ride in the park, and the park as a whole would be slammed.

Ok, so I talked with a friend in the know about these questionable opening procedures and was told that the reason they are doing it is because they want the "at capacity" sign out in front of the tapstyles as early as possible because of 2 reasons. 1. The attraction is running at a low capacity. And 2. The parks capacity as a whole is pretty low and those with higher boarding groups are left wandering the park until their time is called. They want the "at capacity" signs out front early to encourage folks to go to another park instead of DHS. If they wait until the scheduled opening there would be more people who can't get on the ride in the park, and the park as a whole would be slammed.
Welcome to Hollywood Studios, now go away.