Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Ghostbusters: Afterlife

People keep bringing up the Stranger Things comparison like that show isn’t just a giant pastiche/clone of films like ghostbusters

Except it isn't. It's a pastiche of/homage to Spielberg school sci fi/fantasy and Stephen King horror, with some John Hughes coming-of-age dramedy shoehorned in. All 80s adjacent, but action-comedy Ghostbusters was none of those.

Imagine this was Beverly Hills Cop and we were getting a sweetly funny coming-of-age story about Axl Foley's grandkids. It would sound ridiculous. The fact Ghostbusters had a few genre trappings shouldn't change that analysis.

Except it isn't. It's a pastiche of/homage to Spielberg school sci fi/fantasy and Stephen King horror, with some John Hughes coming-of-age dramedy shoehorned in. All 80s adjacent, but action-comedy Ghostbusters was none of those.

Imagine this was Beverly Hills Cop and we were getting a sweetly funny coming-of-age story about Axl Foley's grandkids. It would sound ridiculous. The fact Ghostbusters had a few genre trappings shouldn't change that analysis.
Difference is, I'm interested in the idea of Spengler's grandkid, not Foley's.

Stranger Things is riding the 80’s nostalgia train I don’t see why the actual Ghostbusters franchise shouldn’t be allowed to try to capture that same market

Have you actually watched the show? The kids are paying homage to Ghostbusters, but the actual show isn't anything like the movie "ghostbusters". It has more in common with E.T., Goonies, Stand By Me, IT, and other 80s movies. The film doesn't take place in NYC, and it's not about catching ghosts to make a living.

Have you actually watched the show? The kids are paying homage to Ghostbusters, but the actual show isn't anything like the movie "ghostbusters". It has more in common with E.T., Goonies, Stand By Me, IT, and other 80s movies. The film doesn't take place in NYC, and it's not about catching ghosts to make a living.
The condescension, yes I have watched the show and even though those movies are its main influences I mean ensemble cast dealing with paranormal happenings with a good dose of humor?... they’re obviously trying to Force Awakens Ghostbusters and I’m totally okay with it. Let a young cast come in and take over the franchise

To be fair, Finn wolfhard is insanely charismatic (only other kid that charismatic I can think of is Jacob Tremblay) and if I wanted s child actor for a movie i was working on I’d probably choose him

New Trailer. The music at the beginning of the trailer reminds me of the music that WB used for the In The Heights trailers :lol:

Trailer does nothing for me. Never really into these young kid ensembles becoming key players in out of their league scenarios. Loved GB number one. Second OK.
That's all Folks.

Trailer does nothing for me. Never really into these young kid ensembles becoming key players in out of their league scenarios. Loved GB number one. Second OK.
That's all Folks.

Eh. It still looks better than the 2016 Ghostbusters film.

I think it looks decent but I'm sure if I was a kid I'd love the young kid ensemble more because hey kids can relate to kids. Maybe it's their way of making it more of a family film.