Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Studios Japan General Discussion

I was wondering if someone could help me with a description of the seats and restraints used on Space Fantasy? I’m a bigger guy making my first trip to USJ next year and I’m worried about fitting on this ride and Hollywood Dream. It looks like Dream has the same setup as Apollo’s Chariot at Busch Gardens and I can ride that one, I’m just hoping the seats aren’t smaller.

But I don’t know what Space Fantasy looks like at all. At 6’3” I’m able to fit on the non front rows of Tokyo’s Space Mountain and I can barely fit on Raging Spirits at Tokyo DisneySea if those comparisons help.

Two questions:
  1. -In that interview where Tom Williams nodded to a possible use of an island ( the interview that he also described the Mario bands with) that’s hosting an event in 2025, was he nodding to USJ wanting to make a second gate? What do y’all think would go there (aside from probably more Nintendo)
  2. How do you think Nintendo will effect overall wait times in this park? From the looks of it flying dinosaur and the potter rides seem very busy constantly so hopefully this will calm that down but then again you’d expect an increase in attendance with such an awesome ip

Two questions:
  1. -In that interview where Tom Williams nodded to a possible use of an island ( the interview that he also described the Mario bands with) that’s hosting an event in 2025, was he nodding to USJ wanting to make a second gate? What do y’all think would go there (aside from probably more Nintendo)
  2. How do you think Nintendo will effect overall wait times in this park? From the looks of it flying dinosaur and the potter rides seem very busy constantly so hopefully this will calm that down but then again you’d expect an increase in attendance with such an awesome ip

1: I think he was just talking about Universal running the park on the new Island (I think it's some kind of expo) not necessarily creating a second themed Universal park.
2: I think Nintendo will simply make wait times worse. Attendence will spike again and they will come closer to Tokyo Disneyland attendence levels.

They really do need a second gate next to the original park but unfortunately that's unlikely to happen unless one of the big steel works moves/closes.

Dang! For everyone’s context, here’s the question I was referring to:
Jessica Jean Reif Cohen

And as you look across the globe, what areas would you like to have more of a presence?

Tom Williams

I think that China would be the first logical opportunity. There is additional opportunity in Japan. Right where we are in Osaka, the government has created a man-made island, more than one, but one called Yumeshima. They bid for and got the World's Fair rights for 2025. So they are going to host the World's Fair there. And we are in discussions with them about how we can perhaps support them in that. They also are likely to be one of three cities in Japan that get awarded the rights to do an integrated resort which would include gaming and the most important part is entertainment. We would not participate in any gaming but we could see how that could be something we could participate in. So I think Asia would be the logical place to look for expansion first.

If it would happen in Japan, it wouldn't be next to the Osaka park.

Hence, the speculation of it being located as part of the Worlds Fair 2025.

Yeah, I knew it. It makes no sense from a business and financial perspective to put another Universal park in a different Japanese city, and from the views around USJ, it doesn't seem like there's much room.

Curious: how much of a merch presence do trolls have at USJ? I know they sell a lot in the US parks and assumably USS since they have a trolls based event. You’d think being so adorable they’d appeal well to a Japanese market?

How would this work? They help them shape up the island and fund the fair then ask if they can use it once the fairs over?

My guess would be that if Universal and Comcast are looking to the idea of having a new park open alongside the island for 2025, it could be as part of an agreement as part of the "Entertainment" for the area post-World's Fair, to keep that area alive and bustling in some kind of manner (separate from the actual WF, but on the island).

They have toyed with expanding outside of the Osaka park, with Okinawa once considered for a second gate in Japan. And with Singapore expanding it's initial park and Beijing likely to get two more parks (one dry, one water), it would make sense to see if Comcast wants to have another piece of the Japanese pie.

My guess would be that if Universal and Comcast are looking to the idea of having a new park open alongside the island for 2025, it could be as part of an agreement as part of the "Entertainment" for the area post-World's Fair, to keep that area alive and bustling in some kind of manner (separate from the actual WF, but on the island).

They have toyed with expanding outside of the Osaka park, with Okinawa once considered for a second gate in Japan. And with Singapore expanding it's initial park and Beijing likely to get two more parks (one dry, one water), it would make sense to see if Comcast wants to have another piece of the Japanese pie.
Especially since on an individual gate basis Universal’s highest attendance park is USJ (fourth individual park in general in the world I believe)

looking into USJ and its it more worth it to take a dedicated trip to osaka than take the train around the Olympics. We will buy disney tix the first day they are on sale.

looking into USJ and its it more worth it to take a dedicated trip to osaka than take the train around the Olympics. We will buy disney tix the first day they are on sale.

Could you clarify a little? Do you mean you were planning on making a day trip to do USJ and returning to Tokyo in the evening? There is some fun sighing to be had around that area outside of the parks for sure. I would probably recommend 2 days minimum for USJ and either arriving the night before or doing the combination ticket where you go for a half day on the first day schedule some express passes for that evening and then do the full day the next day lining up early

Could you clarify a little? Do you mean you were planning on making a day trip to do USJ and returning to Tokyo in the evening? There is some fun sighing to be had around that area outside of the parks for sure. I would probably recommend 2 days minimum for USJ and either arriving the night before or doing the combination ticket where you go for a half day on the first day schedule some express passes for that evening and then do the full day the next day lining up early
I mean the train ticket adds enough to the trip and there is enough else to do down there I would rather it be part of a second non tokyo trip to Japan. Tokyo has more than enough to do for 2 weeks during the Olympics especially.

I mean the train ticket adds enough to the trip and there is enough else to do down there I would rather it be part of a second non tokyo trip to Japan. Tokyo has more than enough to do for 2 weeks during the Olympics especially.

Ok, I understand. Osaka as a city has a lot to see and do and it’s also a good hub for day trips out to Kyoto and Nara for example. I will say though that Kyoto is way overcrowded right now and a bit of a nightmare. But like you said the Tokyo area is massive and includes nearby areas such as Kamakura and Hakone so you can easily spend 2 weeks or more there. So it’s really up to you and what sights you want to prioritize.

Does USJ have the transformers ride? Optimus prime is in their parade float but i can’t see the ride listed there (shocking, especially with how great the ride is)