SeaWorld Orlando's Future Plans | Page 101 | Inside Universal Forums

SeaWorld Orlando's Future Plans

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Your second sentence contradicts your first. I agree that even before IG Busch has a wonderful lineup of coasters. My point is that back in the day Islands was kind of a coaster park as well. Maybe my outlook is skewed by my love of OG Dragons, of course, but Universal was disparaged as being like Six Flags by (a vocal, rabid, highly close-minded subgroup of) Disney fans.

Intentionally or unintentionally, Universal threw SWE a life preserver when they closed Dragons.
I was mostly referring to the Orlando market. But really, BGT had really become 'known' for coasters ever since Sheikra was built. I mean yeah Kumba, Montu and Gwazi were there, but it was still largely an animal park/brewery transitioning into a theme park. And I really don't think Uni closing Dragons had any effect on SWO, nobody was visiting UNI now a days to ride Dragons, hence why it was removed. What do they replace it with? A heavily themed coaster experience. A clear indication of where the market is going. Obviously not every park can compete with that strategy, and yes, I see why other parks are opting for the "Worlds first"/ "Florida's only" strategy. But that can only push people through the gates!

I am not sure what exactly is trying to be proven here, SWO as far as I know, correct me if I am wrong, was the first to use the trackless system with a motion base.
I don't see how anyone could call this an "off the shelf" attraction.

The effort was there with Antarctica. They just didn't land it as big time as the expectations. Can't fault them for trying, but for whatever reason, it just didn't work out like they had hoped for....Stuff happens. Not every project succeeds. F& F, Rivers of Light, Stitch are prime examples of projects that didn't click.

Antarctica is nice, but it failed to return on investment the way it should have. At around $50 million it was the largest investment in the park's history, but didn't deliver the crowds. For that price they could have built 2 decent size B&M coasters and actually brought crowds in.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
I was mostly referring to the Orlando market. But really, BGT had really become 'known' for coasters ever since Sheikra was built. I mean yeah Kumba, Montu and Gwazi were there, but it was still largely an animal park/brewery transitioning into a theme park. And I really don't think Uni closing Dragons had any effect on SWO, nobody was visiting UNI now a days to ride Dragons, hence why it was removed. What do they replace it with? A heavily themed coaster experience. A clear indication of where the market is going. Obviously not every park can compete with that strategy, and yes, I see why other parks are opting for the "Worlds first"/ "Florida's only" strategy. But that can only push people through the gates!

But that still left a need for SW/BG to fill that Disney and Uni didn’t. That’s kinda the whole point of competing on a market.

Antarctica may have not set the world on fire, but it helped fill a void for family rides that still exists at SeaWorld. The lines for it over the years proves that. They can't get a Sesame Street dark ride soon enough. Hope they can find it in their budget.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I heard a great analogy somewhere (can't remember where):
Disney = Neiman Marcus
Universal = Bloomingdale's
SW/BG = Macy's
Six Flags = Walmart
(God knows what that would make Cedar Fair.)

I would actually put Cedar Fair in the Macy's slot as well. The problem is that they have some parks that haven't been as developed as some of the others. Cedar Point, Kings Dominion, Carowinds, Knott's Berry Farm, and Kings Island are all very good parks with good operations and theming. Definitely better than Six Flags. Just an opinion.

I feel when I'm in these threads it's an alternate world where animal shows are still what drive guests to the park and Antarctica/Submarine Quest are hits. It's so bizarre. Historically there's been SeaWorld astroturfing campaigns from individuals (see: Eric Davis) and this reeks of that still. Just totally insane arguments.

Anyway.

If you want to point towards a ride that SeaWorld should be building it's Manta in Orlando. The attraction has a wonderful queue with fantastic animal exhibits, a great unique coaster for the area, and looks wonderful off the ride. That is what they should be aiming for. I understand the let down that is Mako in terms of theming and it appears Ice Breaker won't have much either. But Sesame Street, festivals, and coasters are drawing guests to the park, not the middling Antarctica and its ilk.

I feel when I'm in these threads it's an alternate world where animal shows are still what drive guests to the park and Antarctica/Submarine Quest are hits. It's so bizarre. Historically there's been SeaWorld astroturfing campaigns from individuals (see: Eric Davis) and this reeks of that still. Just totally insane arguments.

Anyway.

If you want to point towards a ride that SeaWorld should be building it's Manta in Orlando. The attraction has a wonderful queue with fantastic animal exhibits, a great unique coaster for the area, and looks wonderful off the ride. That is what they should be aiming for. I understand the let down that is Mako in terms of theming and it appears Ice Breaker won't have much either. But Sesame Street, festivals, and coasters are drawing guests to the park, not the middling Antarctica and its ilk.
You do realize this exact sentiment was shared many posts ago? In fact, this was what we were scratching at when we said that, the park should consider fully fledged experienced that incorporate animals to create unique attractions. You are the one who continues to debate whether or not Antarctica is a good ride, which is irrelevant because it is a GP pleaser and accessible to many (also nobody brought us SQ lol). Literally nobody here is suggesting that the ride is stellar, the ride fits an important demographic which the park was lacking prior. So please, take off your tinted enthusiast glasses, and just see it for what it is.

Thank you for finally getting to the same page that we were on, now that you've ended your rant about a family penguin ride.

Great news from Seaworld financial reports. Record-setting 4th quarter results.

Yet their stock is getting hammered for a third day in a row thanks to the coronavirus scare.

Per cap spending is still high, so they're on the right track with the admission pricing strategy and in park spending.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
If the rumor is true that we are getting a new entrance plaza together with the new coaster (Project Penguin), then I guess it is most likely that whatever follows is a new ride in the old entrance area?

If the rumor is true that we are getting a new entrance plaza together with the new coaster (Project Penguin), then I guess it is most likely that whatever follows is a new ride in the old entrance area?

If plans are true, it'll be a complete revamp of the area still utilizing the same space. The ride will travel along the lake and towards the park's entrance, going over/under, whatever they are planning and interacting with the new plaza. But the ride's station/queue itself will be between the Bayside stadium and entrance.

Reactions: anihilnation
They've been building new attractions clockwise around the park every year, so I would imagine the entrance plaza or an adjacent area might see something new soon.

My impression is this is an expansion of the existing entrance and not "moving" it. Right now there is a pinch point where the ticket counter is and the walkway along the Bayside is where the construction is and adjoins the entrance. I could be wrong, but I believe most of the current entrance is staying as it is (lake and all), just expansion of what's there with a minor makeover.

SeaWorld has a long history of simply re-purposing and updating things when possible rather than complete removal/replacement. Look at things like the reef aquarium turning into the Manta queue, the covered patio for Mango Joe's turning into the queue for Ice Breaker, the re-use of the Waterfront buildings, etc. They're big on up-cycling. The design group they've worked with for many years has done this in several of their parks as well as for other park chains, usually with good results.

My impression is this is an expansion of the existing entrance and not "moving" it. Right now there is a pinch point where the ticket counter is and the walkway along the Bayside is where the construction is and adjoins the entrance. I could be wrong, but I believe most of the current entrance is staying as it is (lake and all), just expansion of what's there with a minor makeover.

SeaWorld has a long history of simply re-purposing and updating things when possible rather than complete removal/replacement. Look at things like the reef aquarium turning into the Manta queue, the covered patio for Mango Joe's turning into the queue for Ice Breaker, the re-use of the Waterfront buildings, etc. They're big on up-cycling. The design group they've worked with for many years has done this in several of their parks as well as for other park chains, usually with good results.
I’m with this. I’d hazard to guess the theme even stays the same, but it’s expanded. The entrance can get extremely crowded on even low crowd days because it wasn’t designed for the current park. It was built before the first coaster even went up for reference.

So checking things out at SeaWorld today, while they put construction fences up, they don't appear to have done anything more on the site yet. I wonder if they pumped the brakes on this project?