Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Reedy Creek Improvement District

You mean forcing taxpayers to assume $2b in debt over stupid culture war stuff isn't a winning political strategy for Republicans? Gee, whoda thunk.

You mean forcing taxpayers to assume $2b in debt over stupid culture war stuff isn't a winning political strategy for Republicans? Gee, whoda thunk.

Pretty sure this is about Chapek getting fired and nothing to do with culture wars.

I mean he did win politically by a pretty wide margin and our whole state is pretty deep red now, so yeah

We're not the only ones celebrating Chapek's departure

Iger and Daddy D will get along much better I feel

Last edited:
Iger knows how to play the game-- he would have simply put pressure on those politicians they have bought and paid for with contributions to make sure the bill died in committee and never came up for a full vote. Chapek didn't seem to understand how business works in Florida and it cost him with the CMs and with the politicians.

Iger knows how to play the game-- he would have simply put pressure on those politicians they have bought and paid for with contributions to make sure the bill died in committee and never came up for a full vote. Chapek didn't seem to understand how business works in Florida and it cost him with the CMs and with the politicians.
I bet when Chapek parallel parks he smashes into both cars, and then his engine falls out

Because Chapek is gone and there's no longer a need have a public fight with Disney.
No, that’s just an out from their terrible idea.

Read my two posts on the first page of this thread - the notion of dissolving Reedy Creek as a “punishment” was always an immediately laughable idea to anyone who actually knows how the district works.

They bit off more than they could chew and had to find a way to back out.

No, that’s just an out from their terrible idea.

Read my two posts on the first page of this thread - the notion of dissolving Reedy Creek as a “punishment” was always an immediately laughable idea to anyone who actually knows how the district works.

They bit off more than they could chew and had to find a way to back out.

Terrible idea or not, it's happening now because Chapek got fired. If Chapek is still CEO, this isn't happening now.

Because Chapek is gone and there's no longer a need have a public fight with Disney.
Terrible idea or not, it's happening now because Chapek got fired. If Chapek is still CEO, this isn't happening now.

If they really were no longer fighting because Chapek was fired, than a spokesperson for DeSantis wouldn't have made this statement replying to the FT article...

"In a statement provided after publication of this article, a spokesperson for DeSantis said: “Governor DeSantis does not make ‘U-turns’. The governor was right to champion removing the extraordinary benefit given to one company through the Reedy Creek improvement district.” He added: “We will have an even playing field for businesses in Florida, and the state certainly owes no special favours to one company. Disney’s debts will not fall on the taxpayers of Florida. A plan is in the works and will be released soon.”

Considering they're still claiming that they've got a plan, and somehow Florida taxpayers won't be paying the debt, they're still fighting it.

If they really were no longer fighting because Chapek was fired, than a spokesperson for DeSantis wouldn't have made this statement replying to the FT article...

"In a statement provided after publication of this article, a spokesperson for DeSantis said: “Governor DeSantis does not make ‘U-turns’. The governor was right to champion removing the extraordinary benefit given to one company through the Reedy Creek improvement district.” He added: “We will have an even playing field for businesses in Florida, and the state certainly owes no special favours to one company. Disney’s debts will not fall on the taxpayers of Florida. A plan is in the works and will be released soon.”

Considering they're still claiming that they've got a plan, and somehow Florida taxpayers won't be paying the debt, they're still fighting it.
The plan is just to create a new district that is run by the state of Florida based on what has been previously said.

I always expected a new "district" would be developed with some new rules and regulations.

Taxpayers picking up the tab would be a no-no though

The plan is just to create a new district that is run by the state of Florida based on what has been previously said.

You all live down there and have a better grasp on the situation that I would. I have a feeling that somewhere, in the "back offices" in Gainesville or somewhere representative, the governor and other members of the state house will find a way to quietly backtrack all of this. They made their point, to some degree, and now can quietly walk it back. Whether that is via a new district that mirrors Reedy Creek or that just keeps Reedy Creek but maybe with some government official to provide "oversight" is probably the end result.

You all live down there and have a better grasp on the situation that I would. I have a feeling that somewhere, in the "back offices" in Gainesville or somewhere representative, the governor and other members of the state house will find a way to quietly backtrack all of this. They made their point, to some degree, and now can quietly walk it back. Whether that is via a new district that mirrors Reedy Creek or that just keeps Reedy Creek but maybe with some government official to provide "oversight" is probably the end result.
Tallahassee but these people care more about looking good than doing good. Remember they were called into session to do something about the massive insurance problem in the state and they chose to do this instead.

Tallahassee but these people care more about looking good than doing good. Remember they were called into session to do something about the massive insurance problem in the state and they chose to do this instead.

Dang it. I really need to go back and memorize all the state capitals again. Too many decades since I last did it. The insurance issue with the law on roof replacements and other property issues is a major problem. More so than management of an amusement park.

Dang it. I really need to go back and memorize all the state capitals again. Too many decades since I last did it. The insurance issue with the law on roof replacements and other property issues is a major problem. More so than management of an amusement park.
Insurance was a problem for all 20 years I lived there, I don't think there is a solution as long as people continue to live there. One of the reasons I left along with the heat