Avatar: The Way Of Water | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
But no mention of the story... thats what they really need to improve on the original.

You know, I honestly can't critique the story of the first Avatar. A lot of people like to say it's just "Fern Gully/Dances with wolves" in space, but I tend to think that's an unfair oversimplification. Similar beats, but I think the story is a fine example of a Hero's Journey with some spectacular visuals, very good worldbuilding and fairly decent characters and arcs, even if the villain could've been just a tad bit more complex.

It really checks all the boxes, I just think it got a lot of hype so people were expecting "more", but quite honestly, just taking into account sfx alone what more can you ask for? I still remember my first time seeing it in 3D, blew my socks off.

You know, I honestly can't critique the story of the first Avatar. A lot of people like to say it's just "Fern Gully/Dances with wolves" in space, but I tend to think that's an unfair oversimplification. Similar beats, but I think the story is a fine example of a Hero's Journey with some spectacular visuals, very good worldbuilding and fairly decent characters and arcs, even if the villain could've been just a tad bit more complex.

It really checks all the boxes, I just think it got a lot of hype so people were expecting "more", but quite honestly, just taking into account sfx alone what more can you ask for? I still remember my first time seeing it in 3D, blew my socks off.
Because it was such a visual spectacle too, it really transcended many language barriers because people were just in awe coming out of the theaters and how 3D could possibly look THAT good. The story obviously does matter because the movie obviously needs to be good and there needs to be a compelling narrative.

However, I honestly think, especially with a Chinese release happening, this movie will fly to at least $1B as long as it's not sitting at 5% RT given how it looks visually and how much money this movie is going to make from 3D and Premium screens. Also there's something to be said for having no competition at all until FEBRUARY when Quantumania releases aside from some smaller counter-programing things for awards play.

Reactions: youhow2

I think people just expected a story that matched the visuals - based on the Directing talent behind the movie. The world building and visuals were great but I think Cameron got so caught up in the technology pushing that he didn't focus enough on the story.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm glad you enjoyed it. For me it was just a bit 'meh'

Last edited:
Reactions: tielo and youhow2
the story of the first one was cheesy and cliche regardless of Fern Gully . characters were one dimentional. bad guys too evil, good guys too cliche- good.

So James Cameron clearly wants Avatar to be his Star Wars considering he's now saying he already has plans for Avatar 6 & 7. Mind you Avatar 4 & 5 may not even happen depending on the box office of 2 and 3 (although Avatar 4 is partially filmed already). He has said he may not even direct Avatar 5 and the plans for Avatar 6 & 7 would most certainly see him passing the baton on.

If these movies are hits going forward, at least enough to keep making them, it is big for Disney that Cameron wants the story to continue because 20th Century isn't a Production company on Avatar, Cameron's Lightstorm is meaning that unless Disney buys Lightstorm, they technically don't own Avatar, they only own the distribution rights. Think Indiana Jones. Paramount never owned Indiana Jones, LucasFilm does. However Paramount had (and still do have) distribution rights on the first four films. Once Disney bought LucasFilm, they took over as production company and they owned the property in its entirety meaning no middle man.

Reactions: tielo
I never root for movies to bomb. And I hope THE WAY OF WATER is great.

That said, I very much want to see other movies from Cameron (as director) before he's no longer around to make any more.

I cannot express how unrelentingly joyful I will be if this bombs and it's almost entirely down to how grating of a personality Cameron has.

Thank you for T2 and Aliens, now bugger off already, dude.
I don't know, it's showing all the tell-tale signs of a James Cameron hit...

Like weirdos begging for it to bomb and proclaiming it will be the biggest flop in history.

Maybe third time's the charm for you lot
:shrug:

Like weirdos begging for it to bomb and proclaiming it will be the biggest flop in history.

Box Office projections currently are showing an opening weekend from $150-$180M and those projections from BoxOfficePro are saying this is looking more like a leggy Top Gun: Maverick than a typical front loaded MCU film.

Reviews will start coming in on Tuesday when the review embargo drops so we’ll know what the critics think of it soon.

I never root for movies to bomb. And I hope THE WAY OF WATER is great.

That said, I very much want to see other movies from Cameron (as director) before he's no longer around to make any more.
Cameron may not even direct Avatar 5 he’s said and he definitely wouldn’t be doing 6 & 7 if it gets there. He’s currently working on 4 so maybe this is his last Avatar.

Meh, I said what I said knowing full well it'll likely make bank, for whatever reason. Never personally seen the appeal of the original film, can't quite grasp my head around why we'd need 7 films in this franchise and the way Cameron treats his own films like pseudo-religious "experiences" topped with his own (albeit earned) self-aggrandizing arrogance grates me the wrong way are reasons why I said such. :shrug:

I don't really care which way it goes, I have neither the time nor energy to "hope" it does anything, just merely stated I would be cool with it not doing well.

Meh, I said what I said knowing full well it'll likely make bank, for whatever reason. Never personally seen the appeal of the original film, can't quite grasp my head around why we'd need 7 films in this franchise and the way Cameron treats his own films like pseudo-religious "experiences" topped with his own (albeit earned) self-aggrandizing arrogance grates me the wrong way are reasons why I said such. :shrug:

I don't really care which way it goes, I have neither the time nor energy to "hope" it does anything, just merely stated I would be cool with it not doing well.
No film “needs” any sequels. But when your film makes almost $3 billion, sequels are likely going to be made.

If Iron Man had bombed, the MCU probably never happens and Disney doesn’t buy Marvel. Ultimately, money dictates things at the end of the day.

7 films may not be made, it may only be in the 3-5 range. But as long as the films keep making good money, sequels will continue to be made.

No film “needs” any sequels. But when your film makes almost $3 billion, sequels are likely going to be made.

If Iron Man had bombed, the MCU probably never happens and Disney doesn’t buy Marvel. Ultimately, money dictates things at the end of the day.

7 films may not be made, it may only be in the 3-5 range. But as long as the films keep making good money, sequels will continue to be made.

Wasn't speaking financially. Obviously, money trumps everything, including expanding on a weak, forgettable story.

It’s funny to me people care SO much about the plot for this???

We all go see Superhero movies constantly with weak CGI and stories we either already know from the comics or, predictable outcomes since it’s incredibly rare a hero dies unless it’s an Avengers type situation, yet we all still go and just have fun.

With these visuals guaranteed to be outstanding, why are people so focused on the plot???

We all go see Superhero movies constantly with weak CGI and stories we either already know from the comics or, predictable outcomes since it’s incredibly rare a hero dies unless it’s an Avengers type situation, yet we all still go and just have fun.

With these visuals guaranteed to be outstanding, why are people so focused on the plot???
It's their excuse for crapping so much on a movie that they haven't seen yet and claim to not care about.

Tbh, the 13 year gap between films leaves a lot of people who probably just haven't seen the original movie, or seen it properly in a theater, meaning they have no understanding of the phenomenon that it was and they also don't understand how much seeing it in 3D actually increased ones enjoyment of the film.

Sure, we would love every film to be have a great plot, but as you point out, I just don't see this energy applied to superhero movies when the plot is weak or predictable.

It's their excuse for crapping so much on a movie that they haven't seen yet and claim to not care about.

Tbh, the 13 year gap between films leaves a lot of people who probably just haven't seen the original movie, or seen it properly in a theater, meaning they have no understanding of the phenomenon that it was and they also don't understand how much seeing it in 3D actually increased ones enjoyment of the film.

Sure, we would love every film to be have a great plot, but as you point out, I just don't see this energy applied to superhero movies when the plot is weak or predictable.
Ya, my complain with it is a 3 hour runtime, but that would apply to any movie and I’d prefer they include an intermission, but that’s different than a plot complaint. It’ll be interesting to see how it’s received in the end.

Ya, my complain with it is a 3 hour runtime, but that would apply to any movie and I’d prefer they include an intermission, but that’s different than a plot complaint. It’ll be interesting to see how it’s received in the end.
I definitely think by critics the run time will be a big talking point if the runtime is not earned like in Wakanda Forever and it’s just long for the sake of being long.

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee

Stepping around the slightly ridiculous idea of "why care about the plot" because I'll admit to absolutely loving some films that have zero plot whatsoever, the visuals of Avatar just never did it for me. I won't say they're bad because that would just be oblivious but they just never captured me as some sort of "phenomenon". For all its technical prowess it just hasn't stunned me like it has for some. Whether it's the over abundance of CGI in today's modern era or they're just not my preferred style, dunno. The achievements in the original Jurassic Park amaze me more than what Avatar offers.

Also, nowhere did I say anything about the quality of Way of Water, obviously as I haven't even seen it. Dunno how anyone can misconstrue me saying I wouldn't be disappointed if it under-performed because I don't care for the first film and I dislike the creator as some sort of critical review of the film itself. Yes, the Avatar series really doesn't take up much space in my mind, doesn't mean I can't take two minutes to put my take into the topic.

I definitely think by critics the run time will be a big talking point if the runtime is not earned like in Wakanda Forever and it’s just long for the sake of being long.
Yes we definitely needed 15 minutes of our boy Everett K. Ross.

Avatar might have a good Weeknd ahead...

Haters already saying James Cameron is desperate for Avatar to be relevant so he had to get The Weeknd, completely ignoring that The Weeknd has a long history of doing songs for big movies/shows, including “Earned It” from Fifty Shades, “Elastic Heart” for Hunger Games: Catching Fire, “Pray For Me” from Black Panther, and “Power Is Power” for Game Of Thrones, etc.

He’s been doing soundtrack work since way before he was one of the biggest stars in the world.

Reactions: ghostsarejerks