Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

May 14, 2014
Seoul, Korea
Star Wars real contender is coming out Christmas day with a current 94% fresh and multiple awards nom so far.

Directed by Sam Mendes, 2 men must make it to the front lines to stop an attack from occuring. Most notable is the one shot technique use in this film which makes everything seem real time.

I saw a Sam Mendes play on Broadway last winter “The Ferryman” and it was an utterly exhilarating experience. Based on my experience with that play alone, I am dying to see this film.

I believe it is only in NYC & LA on Christmas, everywhere January 10.

Just saw it at a screening.....Excellent film. Good intriguing story that holds your attention keeping you on the edge of your seat, , good acting and great cinematography. Even though the bulk of the movie is just one or two characters, and the amount of dialogue is limited, the film tells the story well, it flows smoothly, and what dialogue there is, works well and is often quite powerful. The bombed out town is awesome cinema, that needs a big screen, and translates well onto a large theater screen. I'm not sure how well this film will play out on streaming, dvd or television. It really needs that old time cinema huge screen to work. So, if you are a fan of this genre, which I am, try to catch it at the theater instead of waiting for the smaller media.......I saw this film with my brother who's an executive with one of the film studios, and my nephew who is a junior in college. My brother gave it a 10. My nephew gave it an 8/9. But they both said they doubt it will interest the Marvel/Star Wars crowd. This is a really excellent film that should greatly satisfy most anyone that enjoys this genre. It's not Private Ryan or Dunkirk like though. It's darker and much more realistic, and the story line is more straight forward. It really never deviates from it's mission with any subplots or key side players. Mendes adapted this from stories told to him by his grandfather who fought in the war.

Saw 1917 an hour ago, and I've been processing the film.

The film is a technical, visual, and audio masterpiece; with Sam Mendes doing a very special kind of film. I am super glad that I saw this in theaters, as I doubt I'd have the same thoughts at home.

The issue I have, is oddly that I wish the film..slowed down at parts. More than when they had the quiet bits altogether, the non-stop motion and movement of the camera sets the movie apart. It's to where I have hesitation recommending it to certain audiences.

That said, the main leads sold the feeling of survival amazingly, and if there is anything that I'd say of the film: is that it captures the feeling of survival amazingly. Especially in a brutal and racing manner.

I agree with @Mad Dog on the town. Especially when it's night, the way Sam and Deakins captured it was absolutely jaw-dropping in cinema.

Forgot to say I saw this and wow, what a picture. Definitely left haunted by some parts but the struggle to just keep pushing forward is so immersive and don't even get me started on the acting. I love that they cast unknowns, keeps it much more grounded in reality caring for people I've barely any idea about.

I actually think the pacing is perfect, but I appreciate that every time I ask someone what the biggest flaw it they always seem to say something different.

Echoing the statements said before, wow that destroyed village sequence is absolutely magical in an eerie way. Cinema to view on screen. I loved every part of this.

I just watched this last night. Such a clear and linear story that doesn’t let itself get bogged down in the typical drudge and sentimentality of the genre. What a magnificent achievement that had me baffled as to how they pulled off some of the shots. I had to pause a few times, in particular when inside the covered transport vehicle and the actor gets out of the vehicle and the camera follows him to the ground, pulls back, and the vehicle is still there all covered. Anyway, had to search and found this one making of video. The quick mount hand-held to crane to hand-held is NUTS!

Aaaah! This making-of actually has a brief moment of how they achieved the dismount from the covered transport. Clever.

Last edited:
I just watched this last night. Such a clear and linear story that doesn’t let itself get bogged down in the typical drudge and sentimentality of the genre. What a magnificent achievement that had me baffled as to how they pulled off some of the shots. I had to pause a few times, in particular when inside the covered transport vehicle and the actor gets out of the vehicle and the camera follows him to the ground, pulls back, and the vehicle is still there all covered. Anyway, had to search and found this one making of video. The quick mount hand-held to crane to hand-held is NUTS!

Good movie, on the big screen. I wandered it it would work well on a home TV. I guess it does.

The Batman has been delayed until October 2021 from its original June release. Wonder if the same range will be applied for JW 3