1st time visit to Epcot in June 2017 | Inside Universal Forums

1st time visit to Epcot in June 2017

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Hello everyone, we will be visiting Epcot for the first time in June 2017. We always go to Universal and I have been to the Magic Kingdom several times so we wanted to mix things up a bit.I have two teenage boys and we enjoy different cultures so Epcot seems to be the perfect choice. I guess my questions is - what can i expect? There doesn't seem to be too many actual "rides" there. Can i get through the entire park in a day? Half a day? Any advice and comments (positive and negative) are appreciated

Hello everyone, we will be visiting Epcot for the first time in June 2017. We always go to Universal and I have been to the Magic Kingdom several times so we wanted to mix things up a bit.I have two teenage boys and we enjoy different cultures so Epcot seems to be the perfect choice. I guess my questions is - what can i expect? There doesn't seem to be too many actual "rides" there. Can i get through the entire park in a day? Half a day? Any advice and comments (positive and negative) are appreciated

Epcot is a full day park. The park has shrunk in preparation for an overhaul but it still has a lot to do.

Your morning will be spent between Test Track, Soarin, and Frozen. The rest of the morning you will bounce around Future World before hitting World Showcase. WS has two rides and mostly shows and shops. Enjoy that until Illuminations.

My recommendation is always to pick up a copy of the Unofficial Guide to WDW and use a one day touring plan. These plans are great and help guests who are new to a park.

Epcot is a full day park. The park has shrunk in preparation for an overhaul but it still has a lot to do.

Your morning will be spent between Test Track, Soarin, and Frozen. The rest of the morning you will bounce around Future World before hitting World Showcase. WS has two rides and mostly shows and shops. Enjoy that until Illuminations.

My recommendation is always to pick up a copy of the Unofficial Guide to WDW and use a one day touring plan. These plans are great and help guests who are new to a park.
MAKE SURE YOU STAY FOR ILLUMINATIONS.

One of my favorite feelings in any park is when the fire goes out.

Soarin' and Test Track are the major headliners and, along with Frozen, will have the longest waits. Whether or not they're actually worth those waits is a good question for another time, but assuming you want to experience all three, a good chunk of time will be chewed up with them.

But the real Epcot highlights are the attractions which still capture the spirit of the original EPCOT Center - Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, and The American Adventure show - as well as the amount of detail present in each of the World Showcase pavilions. If you admire art, architecture, food, and cultural lore, it's well worth devoting time to explore each country's pavilion a bit. Coupled with the films (which I really enjoy but some can take-or-leave) and assorted live entertainment, there's a lot to see in World Showcase.

If you have a chance try dining at Coral Reef near the Find Nemo Ride! The food is amazing, more on the expensive side but definitely worth the splurge. And the atmosphere is incredible! You dine next to an aquarium where you can sometimes see divers that interact with the guests!

The only negative is that if you get sat right next to the glass kids tend to come up right behind you to see the fish which can be annoying at times. Overall I would definitely recommend it!

Reactions: myheartisinFlorida
Do everything you can to get a Fastpass for Frozen - which includes trying on the day it's made available to re-trying periodically until your trip and most certainly several times in the last few days before your trip.

It's the hardest one to get. After that, in terms of wait time, Test Track is now the next longest line - but Soarin's queue is so much more boring to stand in, so I'd Fastpass it next if you cant get Frozen. Can't get Frozen? Get to the park at opening and go right at rope drop. Use the Fastpass for Soarin, and then do standby at Test Track relatively early in the morning. If you get the Frozen fastpass hit Soarin right at park open and then do standby or single rider for Test Track.

Almost nothing else in the park is going to have a particularly long or insane wait time. Most you can time to be 15mins or less just by avoiding them when they are 30-40minutes - particularly Spaceship Earth and Seas with Nemo. Just go later in the day or if you catch them between the other major rides. Touring Epcot "effectively" does require some backtracking. The park is always open 9am to 9pm (or later during the holidays) so you can just go from A to B and whatever is adjacent with minimal park crossing and still do everything, or at least enough that you feel like you got a good sampling.

In terms of "what can i skip?" The Circle of Life film in the Land pavilion is just a time filler - go watch a recording of it on YouTube if you really feel you're missing out. I think Turtle Talk with Crush is cute but I'd not give it any major chunk of time - if a show is starting right away when you're there then you might as well, but otherwise, meh. The entire Imagination pavilion.. just.. meh. I used to love the Universe of Energy but it's old and clunky and outdated so go for it if you feel like you're making good time and also want to get out of the heat for 45mins (yes, it's that long.) If Innoventions is still open, don't set foot inside of it. Just don't bother.

Pretty much everything else is worth doing and making the time for, with the caveat that you said you were interested in the cultural aspects. Most "ride junkies" wont like seeing all of the World Showcase films but if that's what you're in the mood for they're perfectly entertaining. Just remember that American Adventure is not a film and so if you see one and are like "meh" keep in mind that American Adventure is not that ;)

Also, hit the museums. There's one you have to walk through in Mexico to get to the interior of the pyramid and the ride, but the others are less obvious. The Stave Church in Norway is a thing you can go into (many people don't realize this) - as is the Gallery of Arts and Sciences in Morocco. Bijutsu-kan Gallery in Japan is cute (literally, the current exhibit is "kawaii" culture.) House of the Whispering Willows is directly adjacent the film in China. Explore it instead of just sitting on the benches in the holding area.

Many people just stay on the promenade in World Showcase and then feel they've seen the countries. Many have no idea there's waterfalls in Canada or that there's a whole hidden shopping district in Morocco. Go -into- the countries.

Reactions: GadgetGuru
About Test Track and my hesitation to tell you to Fastpass it or go single rider...

It has a very nice queue. It's not mind blowing, but it's certainly interesting and full of things to look at and some are interactive, and you're no stuck unmoving in the same spot forever. Also, i consider the "queue" to be the area before the design studio. The way the ride setup works is that at one point in the total wait you go into a "design studio" with a bunch of kiosks and are given a few minutes to play with a touch screen and design your simulated car (to be used on the ride.)

The Fastpass line bypasses most of the queue to merge in at the design studio. Single rider has a truncated version of the design studio that mostly gets ignored or bypassed. Most of single rider is looking at nothing.

Fastpass and Standby merge together at the design studio then have like another 10mins or so of queue with nothing amazing to look at, but if goes fast enough. Single rider also sees that last part, but moves much much slower as it is filling in empty seats.

A 10min single rider queue versus an hour standby wait is entirely do-able, but if single riders is 30 and standby is like 40-50, the single rider is going to feel so much longer because it doesnt move and there's nothing to do.

Also, if you notice Soarin is randomly 20-30mins, run over to it and switch your fastpass to Test Track.

About Test Track and my hesitation to tell you to Fastpass it or go single rider...

It has a very nice queue. It's not mind blowing, but it's certainly interesting and full of things to look at and some are interactive, and you're no stuck unmoving in the same spot forever. Also, i consider the "queue" to be the area before the design studio. The way the ride setup works is that at one point in the total wait you go into a "design studio" with a bunch of kiosks and are given a few minutes to play with a touch screen and design your simulated car (to be used on the ride.)

The Fastpass line bypasses most of the queue to merge in at the design studio. Single rider has a truncated version of the design studio that mostly gets ignored or bypassed. Most of single rider is looking at nothing.

Fastpass and Standby merge together at the design studio then have like another 10mins or so of queue with nothing amazing to look at, but if goes fast enough. Single rider also sees that last part, but moves much much slower as it is filling in empty seats.

A 10min single rider queue versus an hour standby wait is entirely do-able, but if single riders is 30 and standby is like 40-50, the single rider is going to feel so much longer because it doesnt move and there's nothing to do.

Also, if you notice Soarin is randomly 20-30mins, run over to it and switch your fastpass to Test Track.
This brings up something else - Fastpass. What exactly is it? The best I can tell, it is included with your ticket purchase and you can choose 3 rides to use it on? I was looking at the tickets and that's how I read it, am I wrong? Also, it said to choose your Fastpass rides up to 30 days in advance of your visit - I am not going until June so should I wait til 30 days from my vacation to purchase tickets? And going to Epcot, I would use it on Test Track, Mission Space and I guess Frozen? What else is there really? Thanks in advance

Do everything you can to get a Fastpass for Frozen - which includes trying on the day it's made available to re-trying periodically until your trip and most certainly several times in the last few days before your trip.
This is good advice if you have small children or if anyone in your group is a fan of Frozen, otherwise you definitely want to skip this. It's just not worth the hassle, go a second time on Mission Space instead.

This is good advice if you have small children or if anyone in your group is a fan of Frozen, otherwise you definitely want to skip this. It's just not worth the hassle, go a second time on Mission Space instead.
I have two older teenage boys so Frozen is not exactly on the hot list. However, we are all open to it. Is it a ride or a show or....? If it's good, then we'll go!

I have two older teenage boys so Frozen is not exactly on the hot list. However, we are all open to it. Is it a ride or a show or....? If it's good, then we'll go!
It's a boat ride where you'll see characters from the movie singing songs from the movie. It's pretty much torture for a teenage boy. If you've been to any of the Fantasyland dark rides it's pretty similar.

This brings up something else - Fastpass. What exactly is it? The best I can tell, it is included with your ticket purchase and you can choose 3 rides to use it on? I was looking at the tickets and that's how I read it, am I wrong? Also, it said to choose your Fastpass rides up to 30 days in advance of your visit - I am not going until June so should I wait til 30 days from my vacation to purchase tickets? And going to Epcot, I would use it on Test Track, Mission Space and I guess Frozen? What else is there really? Thanks in advance

Oh boy... Disney FastPass+

Most of it has already been said, but I'll add in a couple things:

* The Unofficial Guide is awesome
* If any of the restaurants sound interesting, try to get a reservation. If you can't (it can be very difficult), go at a weird time (late lunch, early dinner) for the best chance of sitting down. Epcot has some great food!
* Go into the pavilions in both Future World and World Showcase. I feel like most people don't go into the Future World pavilions and only skim World Showcase.