2014 Netherworld Review | Inside Universal Forums

2014 Netherworld Review

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Mar 1, 2013
Space Coast
Ok so even though this is technically not a theme park it should be!! I have been a HHN fan for years been going sense HHN 14 been in top houses like the thing, castle vampyr,body collectors, and catacombs. All amazing houses and houses i have considered my top for a long time.Then last year with AWIL! an amazingly detailed house and amazing sets. Well let me just tell you this all changed yesterday October 11 2014 when i went my first time to Netherworld in atlanta ga. My work schedule has prevented me from going to HHN until the 24th so i have been deprived for to long of going through houses this year so i started my search for houses around here in atlanta. And to my surprise netherworld voted number 3 house in the nation for haunted house was right down the way from me. Let me just say i did not have high expectations being a devoted HHN fan for many years. But then i learned a few things that gave me promise!!

Roy Wooley a contestant on face off that almost won is a lead FX make up artist there.

A scene from zombieland was shot here.

And years past they have been voted #1 haunted house in the nation.

So i went with my girlfriend and brother and the experience began as soon as i stepped out of my car! All types of monsters and creatures roaming the parking lot, the roads, the lines and even the ticket booth. A probably 20 foot mech animatronic skeleton grave digger gave a sense of grand scale that netherworld was showing you they were not afraid to achieve.

As we waited in line for tickets $30 for two houses. I enjoyed watching all the creatures roaming and getting really up and personal with the guests!! Most all of these masks and makeups were some of the best i ever saw, it was hard just to tell what was real and what was not. I did not see one make up that was cheated, put on half ass, or that did not get every inch of detail it surly deserved! So on to the first house SPLICED (back story for both houses and pictures can be found at there website fearworld.com) we moved into line and even the people that scanned in our tickets were in full make up and full character. One thing that made me nervous was there was plenty of sounds of screams outside and around the facility but i was standing nearly 10ft from the entrance from the house and i could not hear one scream even though i saw at least 30 people already go in. Was this a good sign? or a bad sign like i originally expected this was not going to be that good. Well let me just tell you when i then realized they space let you in ( any original HHN fan knows that when they used to do this it makes the experience a whole different story!!!) and my group of three braved up the stairs and into the first room my whole experience changed! Everything and i mean EVERYTHING was coming at me!! sometimes not all at once but sometimes it would. In the beginning the house gradually worked its way up in the first 2 min but soon after that it was scare after scare after scare. Effects that HHN could only dream of using because of legality issues. In my whole night i counted at least 20 effects that i have never scene before effects that made me question if they really could have done that....and yet they did. I had scares at my feet, at my side, at my head and above my head. And it was constantly being changed up. The floors would move in any and all direction, one effect was a ramp that would suddenly drop and i mean i had no f'n clue it was coming and about **** my self. There vortex tunnel!!! HOLY SH** i have been in many many vortex tunnels and this is the first one that i actually felt like i was going to fall over the railing, and it didn't help there was a scare actor barreling down the ramp that about made me jump over!!! This house was very confined and tight! and never never missed a beat. There was a room where the walls would literally close on you and now you had to turn sideways and squeeze your way out!! they had about a 5ft circular blade come at you where it turned the original 4ft path into about half!! Even knowing it was not real i sure ended up squeezing my ass by it making sure not to touch it!! I literally felt like i was in a saw movie mixed with a silent hill video game!! Was one of the most realistic houses i have ever been in!!! There is tons more about this one house but ill end this house with the last thing i felt that just pushed my boundaries. As you leave the final scene you exit outside and proceed to exit right but yea thats not going to happen 3 scareactors come rushing at you and you retreat back and back until you can't see anything anymore!!!!nothing but white and more white!!! i literally held my hand up in my face and could not see it until it was almost touching my face!!! I called it the white room!!! And let me just tell you this pushed me to places i never thought a haunted house would take me. I felt like it was a fight just to get out of the room! and what a relief, what a win for survival when you finally found your way out.. Not to spoil anything but lets just say it was a shipping container filled with fog, bright white lights, strobes, and things that hang in your face(full bodies) and fishing line.

okkkk.....now its dark outside and the whole place has been turned upside down!!! actors everywhere!!! lighting ,fog!!! the full package!! oh and by the way the timing for the first house 9min and 42 seconds!!!!!!!YEA CRAZY!!! our emotions our senses were all heightened as we made our way to the second house line... not bad about 30 min wait.. the vibe was different over here they were playing more upbeat music to try to make you come back down off of the high you just experienced. But still want you to remember where you are as they have scare actors still roaming the streets and the lines... one for the coolest things to experience is i was walking to the other house up a slight incline and out of no where this fully dressed full makeup scare actor came running through the crowds and dropped to his knees and sparked up!!! steel toes and steel kneepads made him able to create this awesome affect!!! it was deff one of the coolest things and actually made me jump!!! street scare actors never make me jump!!!!

Back to the second house.............

We reach the ticket collector for the house SEASON OF THE WITCH and again the makeups do not disappoint!!!We enter and what we think is the house is actually there museum! with effects and full casts of there previous years!!! awesome things to see in these rooms. after about another 10 min wait we finally reach the entrance to the house and yes they are still doing the spacing!! We enter and you could just tell from the beginning this whole damn house was going to be different(did i mention these houses were in warehouses that stretched about a full block down!!!) the scale of theses sets and these scare were just outrageous I'm talking about 20 ft high sets and scare actors coming from all different angles, below, above side to side, and even straight down in front of you.....some of there animatronics were on scale of 10 to 20 ft tall... This house was just stupidly big!!!! again with the moving ground...they had tiles that seemed to be on ball bearings so as you walked it felt like at any moment the floor would give out...bridges swaying back and forth...and another drop bridge!!! the effects were endless...one of the best ones there was we turned into a room and there was nothing but fog and a green laser above it that made it seem as you were going under water... we didn't know what to do...that was until it felt like our legs were being touched so we rushed forward and that was right into a scare!!! he came out of nowhere but made us duck!! and under we went....the walls were closing in on us (big air filled sacks this time on either side that still pushed the boundaries of this is not right feeling).....this was one of the coolest effects i have ever experienced....

Thanks for reading along and i hope you guys enjoyed!!! If you ever have the chance make sure you come down and experience netherworld it truly is one of the greatest things i have ever experienced.. It pushed things that universal could only dream of ever doing, and i know that with the legality's of things that this is just what we have to except. But i have always been a HHN fan and will always continue to do so!!!! Netherworld though has introduced me into a whole new era of haunted houses and i can not wait to go back this year and year after year..

Keep your eyes posted when i go back next weekend or halloween weekend i will take my nikon and grab some photos and try to post them!!! i also emailed them this mooring asking if there was a way to get a tour of the facility and just take in and process everything i experienced last night!! it would be awesome to get a behind the scenes look at everything. So keep your fingers crossed!!!

Cheers guys!!!:cheers: