2014 World Cup | Inside Universal Forums

2014 World Cup

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Mar 25, 2010
Florida
Who do you think will win the most popular sporting event on the planet?

I think Brazil have a very good chance at winning it on home soil, but teams like Germany, Spain, and Argentina will make it a very competitive tournament.

Spain for me, although I still hold out a small glimmer of hope for my team, England.

Anyone going to watch England play in Miami?

I cannot wait, love the World Cup.

I root for England, but being a quarter German, I have a backup who is likely to go further!

I was born and bred in Belgium, happy to see my native country finally making it again ...
Definitely looking forward to see Argentina and Brazil play!

Spain for me, although I still hold out a small glimmer of hope for my team, England.

Anyone going to watch England play in Miami?

I cannot wait, love the World Cup.

Saw England play in Miami, which was a pretty good game. There was some positive play from some of England's attackers, but defensively they looked weak. Granted England were playing mostly their reserves, they still should have done better. Oxlade's injury is a pretty big blow too going into the World Cup as he was one of the top performers yesterday. Wouldn't be surprised if Ecuador beat France if they can play as well as they did yesterday...

Saw England play in Miami, which was a pretty good game. There was some positive play from some of England's attackers, but defensively they looked weak. Granted England were playing mostly their reserves, they still should have done better. Oxlade's injury is a pretty big blow too going into the World Cup as he was one of the top performers yesterday. Wouldn't be surprised if Ecuador beat France if they can play as well as they did yesterday...

Watched on TV. The Sunlife looks like great stadium I would have loved to have been there.

You are correct about the defence but I do not see them as the starting back four come the world cup, Saturdays team will be more like it I think.

Oxlade took a nasty knock in what was quite a rough game , especially for a friendly. Reports say he will be out for 10 to 21 days, Such a shame as he was very strong going forward.

Are you going to Saturdays game? would love to see a couple of pics if you are.

Over here in the UK the whole country will go mad for the worldcup and the buzz grows and grows as the team, hopefully, progresses through the tournament. How big of a deal is it for you guys in the states? I know football, sorry, soccer isn't your nations top sporting priority but is it something the nation gets behind?

Watched on TV. The Sunlife looks like great stadium I would have loved to have been there.

You are correct about the defence but I do not see them as the starting back four come the world cup, Saturdays team will be more like it I think.

Oxlade took a nasty knock in what was quite a rough game , especially for a friendly. Reports say he will be out for 10 to 21 days, Such a shame as he was very strong going forward.

Are you going to Saturdays game? would love to see a couple of pics if you are.

Over here in the UK the whole country will go mad for the worldcup and the buzz grows and grows as the team, hopefully, progresses through the tournament. How big of a deal is it for you guys in the states? I know football, sorry, soccer isn't your nations top sporting priority but is it something the nation gets behind?

I would have loved to see the game in Saturday, but I don't live in Miami so I could only go to one game. It should be interesting, being that it is the last friendly for them before the World Cup.

There definitely is more interest in soccer during World Cup times as many Americans support their team even if they aren't the biggest fans of the sport. It still has a long way to go before it reaches the popularity of the major sports like American Football and Baseball, but among the younger generations soccer is surging in population. There are a few teams in the lower divisions, below the MLS, that draw impressive crowds like Sacromento Republic and Indy Eleven (19,000 and 10,000 respectively). Every game for the World Cup is televised live on the major sporting networks (ESPN, ESPN 2, ABC), so it reaches a much larger audience than the MLS does.

I would have loved to see the game in Saturday, but I don't live in Miami so I could only go to one game. It should be interesting, being that it is the last friendly for them before the World Cup.

There definitely is more interest in soccer during World Cup times as many Americans support their team even if they aren't the biggest fans of the sport. It still has a long way to go before it reaches the popularity of the major sports like American Football and Baseball, but among the younger generations soccer is surging in population. There are a few teams in the lower divisions, below the MLS, that draw impressive crowds like Sacromento Republic and Indy Eleven (19,000 and 10,000 respectively). Every game for the World Cup is televised live on the major sporting networks (ESPN, ESPN 2, ABC), so it reaches a much larger audience than the MLS does.

I got into football in the US because I hate american football (I put up with it at best), and fell in love with LFC and WC 2010. So I've been an avid supporter of LFC & USMNT since.

Thoughts on the opening match then? I thought it was a little disappointing; the penalty should not have been given, and the first two goals were complete luck. I thought Croatia were actually disadvantaged by the own goal as well because before that they were pushing and attacking, but after that they sat back and then got caught. Oscar was the absolute unsung hero, too.

Brazil will have to play better if they want to get farther than the quarterfinals. While I'm sure they were nervous, their first half performance was very average. Croatia had some great attacking play from Olic and Modric, and were robbed by that dive which led to the penalty. Neymar really played well though and it looks like he could well live up to the hype.

Tomorrow should be interesting with a rematch of the 2010 World Cup final between Holland and Spain. I expect Spain to dominate possession (as usual), but Holland have the tools to score a goal or two against the Spanish defense. It will also be fascinating to see how Mexico do considering their recent struggles in the qualifiers.

Oh, and Chile will destroy Australia 7-0...:cheers:

My thoughts are the northern & eastern Europeans will have a tough time of it in the humid heat of Brazil. Their season's during the colder months of the year. I've played soccer my entire life, and no weather is tougher to play in than the dog days of summer. I played for Western Pennsylvania in a couple of Veteran Cup National Championship tournaments in Wilmington N.C. in 95 to 100 degree heat and it was brutal, even for a lot of the competition that were previous professional players. I was in great shape then, playing for three different club teams at a time, but the humid heat drained. That could end up being the difference in a close match. So I give an edge to the South American teams and a couple of the African teams can be spoilers.

Pretty much the softest penalty I've ever seen awarded.

Might as well give Brazil the tournament now if that is how the officiating will continue.

Pretty much the softest penalty I've ever seen awarded.

Might as well give Brazil the tournament now if that is how the officiating will continue.

Terrible wasn't it!

My exact thought at the time it was given was how corrupt international football has become. Hopefully it was a one off and we will see a good tournament.

Sadly I can't see past Argentina winning it.