Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

2018's Most Anticipated Films

Apr 4, 2013
Tampa
Seems like we do this every year, so I'll get the ball rolling for my top 10.

Order by Release Date:
Black Panther-Just because it's Marvel
Ready Player One-Looks pretty interesting despite my lack of knowledge with the source material
New Mutants-An X-Men horror flick? Sounds pretty interesting
Avengers: Infinity War-Easily the movie I'm most looking forward to
Deadpool 2-Should be pretty funny
Incredibles 2-One of only 2 Pixar flicks that I thought truly deserve a sequel (Inside Out being the other)
Ant-Man and the Wasp-Greatly enjoyed the first one very much
Fantastic Beasts 2-I didn't care for the first one the first time I watched it, but later enjoyed it a lot upon another viewing
Wreck-it Ralph 2-I'm not sold on the idea of Disney IP: The Movie, but I love the original and plan on giving this one a chance
Mary Poppins Returns-I barely remember the original, but I always enjoy a good musical

Looks like a pretty weak year for movies, TBH. :shrug:

Besides the obvious Infinity War and Black Panther - Aquaman. The thought of Wan directing a superhero movie and his take no crap attitude makes me look forward to this.

Hon. mention: Incredibles 2, Deadpool 2, Ready Player One, Super Troopers 2

10. Aquaman - Wonder Woman standalone was good so there's some hope here
9. Mowgli - Kickass cast and it's a truer to the literature version of Jungle Book than anything Disney has done
8. Alita: Battle Angel - This movie could suck, but the trailer has me very intrigued. It'll likely bomb at the box office either way due to it's release date though.
7. Mary Poppins Returns - Lin-Manuel Miranda in a lead role and his lyrics? I'm sold.
6. Sicario 2: Soldado - Sicario was great so looking forward to this.
5. Wreck-it Ralph Breaks the Internet - Again, loved WiR, just hope they don't over-do it with synergistic cameos (Disney princesses, Star Wars, Marvel, etc)
4. Ant-Man and The Wasp - I loved the first Ant Man, can't wait to see Wasp.
3. Solo: A Star Wars Story - This movie could very easily suck. I don't really even want a Solo movie (and I think Ansel Egort would've been a better choice for Han). But being a SW fan, i'm still intrigued.
2. Black Panther - Duh.
1. Avengers: Infinity War - Obviously.

By the manner of Release date..

Honorable mentions go to Incredibles 2, Grinch, and Halloween..
  • Black Panther: Everyone involved is outstanding. From Coogler's direction, the cast and crew, I am excited to see what he can do.
  • Isle of Dogs: Wes Anderson is a hit or miss, but one of my favorite animated films of the decade, was Fantastic Mr Fox. If he can pull something like that off for it, I am golden.
  • Avengers - Infinity War: The culmination of everything from the MCU automatically places it here. And that the Russo brothers are so-far fantastic directors for the MCU. Can't wait to see how they adapt it.
  • Solo: Very interested to see what the change from Phil/Chris comes to for Ron Howard, and a possible SW Gangster film intrigues the hell of out me.
  • Deadpool 2: Loved first, can't wait for the second.
  • Oceans 8: I have hope for this, as the first trailer was something different from the trilogy, but that I do like it. Very interested to see what's added in.
  • Ant-Man & Wasp: Similar to Deadpool 2, loved the fist and that I can't wait to see how they continue the story.
  • The Predator: Shane Black can be a fantastic director, and with his past in the Predator franchise, I am fascinated to see what he does with it.
  • Venom: I am interested to see what Sony does, as it could be good. I am not excited, but interested in a large way for this.
  • Mowgli: This intrigues me the most, purely by everyone involved. A darker Jungle Book adaptation, with Andy Serkis debuting his directorial skill alongside cast-members like Cumberbatch, Blanchett, Bale, and a ton of others.
  • Fantastic Beasts 2: Loved the first, and that I do find a lot of hope with this one, as it means a bit more close to home than the others..
  • Spider-Man - Into the Spiderverse: Everything about this, unlike Venom; is screaming with excitement on my part. I find a lot to find hope, and that I like what I see so-far.
  • Mary Poppins Returns - Fascinated to see what Disney does with the story, with especially everyone involved.
That, in my case; is what I am anticipating the most out of this year.

Seems like we do this every year, so I'll get the ball rolling for my top 10.

Order by Release Date:
Black Panther-Just because it's Marvel
Ready Player One-Looks pretty interesting despite my lack of knowledge with the source material
New Mutants-An X-Men horror flick? Sounds pretty interesting
Avengers: Infinity War-Easily the movie I'm most looking forward to
Deadpool 2-Should be pretty funny
Incredibles 2-One of only 2 Pixar flicks that I thought truly deserve a sequel (Inside Out being the other)
Ant-Man and the Wasp-Greatly enjoyed the first one very much
Fantastic Beasts 2-I didn't care for the first one the first time I watched it, but later enjoyed it a lot upon another viewing
Wreck-it Ralph 2-I'm not sold on the idea of Disney IP: The Movie, but I love the original and plan on giving this one a chance
Mary Poppins Returns-I barely remember the original, but I always enjoy a good musical

Looks like a pretty weak year for movies, TBH. :shrug:

2 of my top 3, Solo and JW2 aren't even on your list. lol

By the manner of Release date..

Honorable mentions go to Incredibles 2, Grinch, and Halloween..
  • Black Panther: Everyone involved is outstanding. From Coogler's direction, the cast and crew, I am excited to see what he can do.
  • Isle of Dogs: Wes Anderson is a hit or miss, but one of my favorite animated films of the decade, was Fantastic Mr Fox. If he can pull something like that off for it, I am golden.
  • Avengers - Infinity War: The culmination of everything from the MCU automatically places it here. And that the Russo brothers are so-far fantastic directors for the MCU. Can't wait to see how they adapt it.
  • Solo: Very interested to see what the change from Phil/Chris comes to for Ron Howard, and a possible SW Gangster film intrigues the hell of out me.
  • Deadpool 2: Loved first, can't wait for the second.
  • Oceans 8: I have hope for this, as the first trailer was something different from the trilogy, but that I do like it. Very interested to see what's added in.
  • Ant-Man & Wasp: Similar to Deadpool 2, loved the fist and that I can't wait to see how they continue the story.
  • The Predator: Shane Black can be a fantastic director, and with his past in the Predator franchise, I am fascinated to see what he does with it.
  • Venom: I am interested to see what Sony does, as it could be good. I am not excited, but interested in a large way for this.
  • Mowgli: This intrigues me the most, purely by everyone involved. A darker Jungle Book adaptation, with Andy Serkis debuting his directorial skill alongside cast-members like Cumberbatch, Blanchett, Bale, and a ton of others.
  • Fantastic Beasts 2: Loved the first, and that I do find a lot of hope with this one, as it means a bit more close to home than the others..
  • Spider-Man - Into the Spiderverse: Everything about this, unlike Venom; is screaming with excitement on my part. I find a lot to find hope, and that I like what I see so-far.
  • Mary Poppins Returns - Fascinated to see what Disney does with the story, with especially everyone involved.
That, in my case; is what I am anticipating the most out of this year.
Totally forgot about Into the Spiderverse! I'm really interested in seeing how that movie plays out.

Totally forgot about Into the Spiderverse! I'm really interested in seeing how that movie plays out.

To be honest, Spider-verse excites me more than The Incredibles 2, and that there is a lot you can tap into with other characters that isn't just Peter Parker. I am very excited, and hopeful that it's worth it.

To be honest, Spider-verse excites me more than The Incredibles 2, and that there is a lot you can tap into with other characters that isn't just Peter Parker. I am very excited, and hopeful that it's worth it.
The only reason Incredibles 2 wasn't within my Top 10 was bc... i've never seen the original. I never saw it when it came out and ever since it's been one of those things that i've been meaning to see, but keep pushing off.

And yeah, as a concept, Spider-verse is probably my most anticipated animated film of the year now that I think about it.

Most anticipated films:

10. Super Troopers 2
9. Black Panther
8. Purge 4: The Island
7. The Happytime Murders
6. The House with Clocks In its Walls
5. Halloween
4. The Grinch
3. Women of Marwencol
2. Wreck it Ralph 2
1. Mortal Engines

2 of my top 3, Solo and JW2 aren't even on your list. lol

I liked Jurassic World a lot, but Fallen Kingdom looks pretty much like the Lost World (which was probably intended), a movie I've seen once and had no interest in watching again. I'm a casual Star Wars fan (I enjoy the movies, but don't care for the TV shows, books, etc), yet the director change for Solo could spell trouble for a movie that looked to be near the end of filming. Justice League showed how a swap in creative visions can result in a tonally inconsistent movie. And yes, I'm aware that the reasons Whedon took over JL were very different than why Howard was brought in for Solo, but if the final product doesn't mesh properly, the motives really won't matter.

I liked Jurassic World a lot, but Fallen Kingdom looks pretty much like the Lost World (which was probably intended), a movie I've seen once and had no interest in watching again. I'm a casual Star Wars fan (I enjoy the movies, but don't care for the TV shows, books, etc), yet the director change for Solo could spell trouble for a movie that looked to be near the end of filming. Justice League showed how a swap in creative visions can result in a tonally inconsistent movie. And yes, I'm aware that the reasons Whedon took over JL were very different than why Howard was brought in for Solo, but if the final product doesn't mesh properly, the motives really won't matter.
I think the major difference is that with Solo, Ron Howard is rumored to have reshot roughly 80% of the movie.

My top 10 in alphabetical order:

Backseat
First Man
Halloween
Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
The New Mutants
A Quiet Place
Red Sparrow
Sicario 2
Widows

Mowgli: This intrigues me the most, purely by everyone involved. A darker Jungle Book adaptation, with Andy Serkis debuting his directorial skill alongside cast-members like Cumberbatch, Blanchett, Bale, and a ton of others.
Mowgli isn't his directorial debut; that title goes to the failed Oscar bait Breathe. Given how much this has been tossed around the schedule, I have 0 expectations for it.

Edit: didn't realize Breathe was at 66% on RT. Still, it was a box office bomb.

1. Deadpool 2
2. The New Mutants
3. Avengers: Infinity War
4. Halloween
5. Aquaman
6. Incredibles 2
7. The Nun
8. A Quiet Place
9. Black Panther
10. Solo: A Star Wars Story

Most anticipated films:

10. Super Troopers 2
9. Black Panther
8. Purge 4: The Island
7. The Happytime Murders
6. The House with Clocks In its Walls
5. Halloween
4. The Grinch
3. Women of Marwencol
2. Wreck it Ralph 2
1. Mortal Engines
Interesting side note Purge 4 Island was being filmed entirely in my area in the fall of last year (2017).

To be honest, I can miss the entirety of 2018 films just to make sure I’m alive to see Glass, but if I were to list some things I’m looking forward to

Black Panther
Infinity War
Deadpool 2
Incredibles 2
Aquaman
Isle of Dogs

I think that’s it, those are the big ones that I can think of right now. Btw can someone make a best of 2017 thread, I don’t have a finialized ranked list yet but I definitely have a lot of films to recommend.

This is a fairly easy list for me, the main big ones I'm excited for are..

Black Panther - Considering who's all involved and everything that's been revealed so far, I'm really psyched for it. This could be quite a nice event in itself.

Avengers: Infinity War - Speaking of events, here's the big one. Not much else to say then Here. We. Go.

Deadpool 2 - I thoroughly enjoyed the first one, and I hope this is just as enjoyable.

Ant-Man and the Wasp - Like with Deadpool, I enjoyed the first Ant-Man and I'm eager to see how this one turns out.

Now since I'm an' animation person, I've got my anticipated films in a separate list right here.

Early Man - I'm always fond of Aardman's stop-motion work, and this looks to be another fun film from them. (However it's gonna' get screwed by it's US release right alongside Black Panther, ouch!)

Isle of Dogs - Speaking of stop-motion films, I was always hoping Wes Anderson would do another one after Fantastic Mr. Fox. Isle of Dogs looks like another great quirky ride from him, and I'm all in. It's probably gonna' be a far more enjoyable film then the other animated film that's coming out the same day. (Sherlock Gnomes of all friggin' things.)

Incredibles II - Hey! It's the Pixar sequel most people were clamoring for! Anyways, I hope this was worth the wait, it's going to be interesting considering the state of super hero films is a tad different now then it was when the first Incredibles came out.

Wreck-It Ralph 2 - This is going to be interesting, while I did enjoy the first one...I do have to acknowledge the film wasn't what the trailers made it out to be. A lot of people felt it was going to be the Rodger Rabbit of video games, but it wasn't as the actual IP's were just tiny cameos at the very beginning and the very end. (Compared to RR where the cameos were far more prominent and throughout the entire film.)

So W-IR2 is gonna' be chock full of Disney IP cameos, that might benefit or hinder the film depending how they're used. An' I also have a feeling that just like the first, the cameos are going to be front and center in the trailers. It's a big wait and see on this one.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - This film is giving me mood whiplash. A animated Spider-Man film with Miles Morales/the Spider-Verse? Sign me up! But one that's done by Sony, who for me has made more misses then actual hits? Ooof, I really don't want to be hesitant of the film due to that, but this is the same studio that thought the Emoji Movie was a good idea. Though none the less, I really hope it turns out good.