Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Taika Waititi's Star Wars Film

Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
So Taika Waititi is now rumored to direct at least the 2022 film. Not sure if it's meant to be a trilogy or not and tbh, I doubt if LucasFilm does either.

So Taika Waititi is now rumored to direct at least the 2022 film. Not sure if it's meant to be a trilogy or not and tbh, I doubt if LucasFilm does either.
omfg a Taika Star Wars film sounds magical. Sign me up. Although, this could be part of the directorial carousel Star Wars seems to like having now.

omfg a Taika Star Wars film sounds magical. Sign me up. Although, this could be part of the directorial carousel Star Wars seems to like having now.
Taika directed the season finale of The Mandalorian so he does have some slight history with LucasFilm already and when asked, he said he would absolutely love to direct a feature film. Disney has a great relationship with Taika in general with Ragnorok, Jojo Rabbit, Mandalorian and he has another Searchlight film coming up called "Next Goal Wins" later this year along with Thor: Love and Thunder next year.

After seeing all of the behind-the-scenes turmoil, I think it's obvious that Disney wants to find very safe talent for the immediate future. That's why they keep going back to directors that have done successful work for Disney in the past.

I'm assuming whoever does the next Star Wars movie will be somebody that's done at least one Marvel movie. The Russo Brothers seem to be done with tentpoles for the moment, or I'd say they would be the obvious choice. Jon Favreau would be an obvious choice too.

I have the feeling that Rian Johnson won't be making a triology after all (which really sucks) after all the backlash from TLJ and the fact that he hasn't done any work for Disney outside of TLJ

Taika directed the season finale of The Mandalorian so he does have some slight history with LucasFilm already and when asked, he said he would absolutely love to direct a feature film. Disney has a great relationship with Taika in general with Ragnorok, Jojo Rabbit, Mandalorian and he has another Searchlight film coming up called "Next Goal Wins" later this year along with Thor: Love and Thunder next year.

Haven’t gotten to the finale of The Mandalorian yet, but that’s wonderful news and will likely make me binge the rest this weekend. Knew he was in the show didn’t know he was directing an episode. I love it! The more Taika, the better. Can’t wait for Next Goal Wins either, will have to look more into that.

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it. Kennedy & Co. are notorious for running a tight ship over at Lucasfilm and Waititi doesn't seem like the kind of filmmaker who'd be willing to compromise his vision of what a movie should be.

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it. Kennedy & Co. are notorious for running a tight ship over at Lucasfilm and Waititi doesn't seem like the kind of filmmaker who'd be willing to compromise his vision of what a movie should be.
This film is the one rumored for the High Republic era. Aside from Yoda in his relative prime, the movie will presumably feature almost an entirely new set of characters. It would be almost entirely original in that sense and I can see a lot of room for creativity since the Skywalker Saga is over now.

Plus, Taika has said he wants to direct a SW movie, so I certainly won’t be surprised if it happens.

The only reason to why I'd wonder, is because the finale of Mando that was directed by him..was not written by him.
Well, we’ll see. Maybe they’ll have a separate writer and he’ll just put his flair on the movie. I’d be cool with that if it meant a good, cohesive story was told.

Of course none of this is confirmed yet, it’s just talks. But man would I love to see what Taika would do with a SW movie/trilogy.

One of the reasons I think Solo failed was because of the narrative surrounding Phil Lord and Chris Miller.

Lucasfilm brought on two exciting directors with a following. The directors didn’t get enough freedom to make their movie. They got fired and a safe director was brought in.

Meanwhile, the fan community assumes - months ahead of release - that the movie will obviously suck and then they don’t bother showing up.

I would think that Lucasfilm would be wary of hiring directors with followings like that. If Taiti signed on and then bailed, it’s Solo all over again. When Colin Treverrow was fired, everyone cheered.

One of the reasons I think Solo failed was because of the narrative surrounding Phil Lord and Chris Miller.

Lucasfilm brought on two exciting directors with a following. The directors didn’t get enough freedom to make their movie. They got fired and a safe director was brought in.

Meanwhile, the fan community assumes - months ahead of release - that the movie will obviously suck and then they don’t bother showing up.

I would think that Lucasfilm would be wary of hiring directors with followings like that. If Taiti signed on and then bailed, it’s Solo all over again. When Colin Treverrow was fired, everyone cheered.
Except Taika has already directed Star Wars (The Mandalorian). He has proved he “gets it”. He also has a great relationship with Disney so I see this pairing as one of the best choices they could make.

I'm sure they're going to bring the director on for this only to have the project delayed because Kathleen won't be happy with the script. Then she'll fire him and bring on another director only to fire him when the movie is 90% complete and then bring in another director to "fix" it. How on earth does she still have a job at Lucasfilm!? She totally approved of films like TLJ and TROS, but didn't like Trevorrow's (SP?) version of Ep 9? She had the Obi Wan series ready to go (The one thing the fans actually wanted) and decides at the last minute that she doesn't like the script?

With that in mind, I don't want them to even think about making another Star Wars movie until Kennedy is fired (Not demoted, but FIRED). Could it be good under her? It's possible, but very unlikely. They just had a disastrous trilogy and rushing to make a new one sounds terribly unwise until they get their crap together.

And now we're confirmed. Set to direct and co-write with Krysty Wilson-Cairns (1917):

And now we're confirmed. Set to direct and co-write with Krysty Wilson-Cairns (1917):

This is...an amazing choice, especially in the co-writing team. Especially, following 1917's amazing depiction of war.

Great Director and great writer, cautiously optimistic, but once Kathleen Kennedy gets involved it will probably end up a mess. I know that sounds negative but I don't want to get my hopes up only to be dissapointed. The talent is definitely there though so I'm hopeful!

The film has now been officially announced as of last night. That Star Wars logo is so very Taika, I love it.