3-D Movies in the Parks: Time to move on? | Inside Universal Forums

3-D Movies in the Parks: Time to move on?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

JungleSkip

V.I.P. Member
Feb 15, 2010
The Mushroom Kingdom
So, I've been thinking about this for a while, and I'm curious to hear what others think about the subject.

I think it's time to move on from the 3-D movies in the parks. Sure, I love MuppetVision and T2:3D as much as the next guy, but let's be honest with ourselves: They're no longer special. With every other movie being released in 3-D, it just doesn't hold the "wow" with people the way it once did. Now, granted, things like Star Tours, Spider-man, and Transformers are different since it combines 3-D with motion, but the regular old movies we have now just seem like dated relics of an age when 3-D was special. Now, a lot of people will say you can't do much in a building that sized anyway, and I'd have to disagree. Buzz Lightyear in both Paris and California was crammed into a smaller building and both came out fine. Creative use of space like this could work wonders for parks like USF (Shrek and T2) and Epcot (longer Imagination ride?).

Agree or disagree?

Agreed. I actually had this thought when Avatar came out. There is a new bar that has been set, and it's becoming the norm. People can now watch 3-d films in their own home now, which makes a 3-d attraction less special.

In fact, I think we may have discussed this topic on our short lived podcast. :lol:

I think it would more depend on each attraction's current popularity. Do the theaters still fill up; eat people? Each of them are quite a lot more than just a 3D film, with effects and animatronics etc. The best we might expect is Dolby 3D upgrades.

It probably makes sense to do away with them for the general park guest. But personally, I don't watch many movies in 3D outside of the theme parks. I don't wanna sit through 2 and a half hours of 3D. It's almost painful for me. I prefer a good, short, theme park show to a long movie. I still find them very fun, but I know the novelty has long wore off.

Well I do enjoy It's Tough To Be a Bug, Philarmagic, T2:3D and muppetvision...but the big reason why is because all those shows contain pretty neat in theater effects. As long as the show has more than just 3D going on, I'm all for it.

Well I do enjoy It's Tough To Be a Bug, Philarmagic, T2:3D and muppetvision...but the big reason why is because all those shows contain pretty neat in theater effects. As long as the show has more than just 3D going on, I'm all for it.

^^ This. If it was just a 3D movie attraction it would be pretty boring as for reasons stated but they have other things going for example the actors in T2:3D

The 4-D shows are where its at, Shrek is still fun, Bug... still fun. I personaly see no reason to rid the theme park world of 3-D
Yes paople can go to the theater and see it, but most just complain about it being a trick and then the cost.
3-D TVs I don't see them making the grade IMO, personally I don't want to where glasses to watch at home and won't be spending the extra cash for the set.

Just to clarify:

My point was more along the lines of the 3D at the parks needing improvement to HD treatment. To match today's standards.

The current 3D fad is the same gimmick as the one from the 60s on a more at home scale. I never pay for 3D screenings of films that come out either. At the end of the day it goes back to how good the full story was.

Theme Park 3D is typically a lot better than 99 percent of the 3D that happens in the theater chains as well. There is also a bigger screen set up, better theater atmosphere set up, a theme for the storytelling and an immersion experience.

A show like Captain Eo for example under its aged state is more Gimmicky and time to go since it does not offer much else. It is watching a 3D film environment with no inclusion of the audience into the story.

Muppets 4D
T2 3D
Spiderman
Transformers etc..

All have the creative storytelling factor as well as the budget that is not practical for home use.

A show like Captain Eo for example under its aged state is more Gimmicky and time to go since it does not offer much else. It is watching a 3D film environment with no inclusion of the audience into the story.

Considering the theater moves now along with the action on the screen, it's definitely more than just a 3D film now.

But I do agree that as long as other elements are incorporated that can't be duplicated in your home or every cineplex nearby, there's still a place for 3D shows in theme parks. T2:3D, as old as it is, is still probably the benchmark of how it should be done.

Yeah! 3-D is such a gimmick, just like surround sound and color televisions!

Both of witch have outlived the 3D theater craze before in the 60s. 3D is in fact a gimmick. It is a good one that has improved. But a great film and story is still what ultimately entertains people. Not how much it pops up in your face.

And only certain generes can even work with 3D. No one cares that much to see a love story in 3D. It is all about action. Do you research. Everything was 3D in the theaters in the late 50s/60s. It happens once the studios get lazy and cash in on them.

^^ This. If it was just a 3D movie attraction it would be pretty boring as for reasons stated but they have other things going for example the actors in T2:3D

They are the worst part about that show, in my opinion. The bike fails often enough (the past three times I've been on it, anyway) and makes for one wonky show and the crossed-arms/back-to-back ending makes me want to throw up. I don't mind Sweetums in Muppets 3D as much because he literally just walks across the stage, but still. I've never really been a fan of 3D other than Muppets (and only then because they are aware that 3D park attractions are little more than cheap gimmicks) and Philhar. And I can't tell if I love Philhar because it's simply a superior 3D movie, or because I just hate everything else in Fantasyland...

I like the "4D" elements but shoot, just make rides like Alien Encounter and ditch the stupid glasses.

The bike does fail every now and then, but the past few times I've been on it it's been working fine. The robotic Terminators and the massive fog effect at the end do it for me every time!!

I'm not only tired of 3D but im tired of screens in general. Spiderman works and is great. but FJ i feel they are a crutch and like everyone says the ride makes no sense. When they got rid of BTTF they should have created a new ride not another screen experience. I would have preferred BTTF stay. T23D should stay its my favorite and very different. Shrek should go. PLEASE GET RID OF SHREK. DM will be fun but im just tired of looking at a screen.

Its why I love(d) Jaws, Disaster/Earthquake, Twister, Kong, ET, Mummy, etc. because you arent staring at a screen the whole time. its all there and really happening.

Practical effects always win over screened ones. That is why FJ gets a pass for me. I know it is branching away from the 3D discussion but going with the screen idea at least Forbidden Journey was the first ride in a long time to provide some actual physical setwork like that inside the ride and some animatronic and animated scenes to go with it. So I will take the screens with that as transitions, but not the focus.

The Simpsons Ride..yeah. That is already old hat and I would not be shocked if it would go before too long. I would rather them just demo it and rework the land for something unique. That building was designed with BTTF in mind of system and theme and by using the same exact system with an overlay they did not really improve much.

The Simpsons Ride..yeah. That is already old hat and I would not be shocked if it would go before too long. I would rather them just demo it and rework the land for something unique. That building was designed with BTTF in mind of system and theme and by using the same exact system with an overlay they did not really improve much.

exactly. i love the simpsons. the ride is hilarious but i feel they did the franchise a disservice by not doing an attraction from the ground up. do it right or dont do it at all.