Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

5th Hotel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't disagree more. I believe there is very much of a market for luxury resorts in the destination theme park game. Disney has over 3,000 rooms that NEVER cost less than $500/night. And based on amenities, even The Grand Floridian is barely above a 3 star. As a matter of fact, the last year Mobil Travel rated it it was only a 3 star. A true 5 star in the $500/$550 ballpark that has around 300 rooms would slay!

and for those that say a 5 Star can't be built on that plot because of nearby hotels and highway noise. Manhattan has 104 5 star hotels each with limited space and city noise.

I agree with this on the fact that there is a market.

Different scenarios tho comparing manhattan and orlando. Cant compare the two.

I promise you the Ritz is not just for business travelers. A large portion of the international market that is attending the parks are staying at the 4 Diamond Resorts because the brands are so familiar to them. After going to the Hyatt Regency Orlando, you realize that they have a lot of South East Asian guest, specifically, Japanese, who are definitely attending the parks, but staying at a "business/conference" hotel. I think the fact that Four Seasons is being built in Orlando says a lot about the market for a 5 diamond resort. Even if that property is rated at 4 diamond the vast majority of their properties are 5.

I agree with this on the fact that there is a market.

Different scenarios tho comparing manhattan and orlando. Cant compare the two.

I hope you understand that Disney owns a mile or more in all directions around Grand Fl, and it is sitting on a lake that is larger than USF. Not the norm for the area, Disney is a very special case. Manhattan may not be comparable in all aspects either. But there is a point that some areas a spectacular view is expected, and some areas it is not expected. So no comparing it to a 5* on a beach or a ski resort. City hotels have views of buildings.

And no offense to anyone but I think it's a little silly to say someone wouldn't pay Grand Fl prices for a 5* at Uni unless there were a ton of additional perks. Some people will value the view more, but others would opt for the higher quality and service. Universal is not going to get a pristine view in Orlando. If we are talking about a smaller hotel, there is no reason to think it couldn't be 1000' or more from the highway (further than RPR or CBR). I have a concept for 2 buildings facing inward, with a highly themed (Hollywood) plaza in the middle. The plaza can hold some of the features of the hotel and act as a great view.

I couldn't disagree more. I believe there is very much of a market for luxury resorts in the destination theme park game. Disney has over 3,000 rooms that NEVER cost less than $500/night. And based on amenities, even The Grand Floridian is barely above a 3 star. As a matter of fact, the last year Mobil Travel rated it it was only a 3 star. A true 5 star in the $500/$550 ballpark that has around 300 rooms would slay!

and for those that say a 5 Star can't be built on that plot because of nearby hotels and highway noise. Manhattan has 104 5 star hotels each with limited space and city noise.

Well.. I don't often say this but I hope you guys are right and I'm wrong :). I'd love to see UO have a/the premiere hotel in Orlando and raise the bar for central Florida. A rising ride lifts all boats!

Not only is there a market for a 5 star hotel in Orlando, I think there is a substantial amount of guests that stay at any of the three current hotels that would stay at a 5 star if it was onsite.

Someone mentioned above that the guests that stay at 5 star hotels would not eat at somewhere like Cowfish. Even if that was true (it's not), they already have options like The Palm on property. The Palm ranks for fifth highest cost in Orlando and third best food, via zagat.com. This isn't including whatever options they would build alongside the new hotel.

You can also use Palm to support the argument that the market is already there staying onsite. The restaurant is often fully booked and I'd say at least half, probably more, of the reservations are people staying at one of the on property hotels.

Status
Not open for further replies.