Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

A Celebration of Harry Potter - 2016

Extremely overcrowded and probably even less to do than last year. I love the idea of waiting in line to get in to the Expo building only to have to wait in line again to see some props that were on display last year.

I feel bad for anyone who wasn't a Harry Potter fanatic this weekend.

I went to the cast Q&A on Saturday and the Expo on Sunday.

The cast Q&A was good - interesting that it wasn't in Toon Lagoon Amphitheater this year (not sure if it was last year, since 2014 was the last time I went). But it seemed like Toon Lagoon was a better place for it, as it seemed to have a better capacity, and there were actual seats.

It was indeed very crowded, esp. around the Music Plaza Stage (where the Q&A was held). DBF and I chose to stand in the back, on the sidewalk near Monsters Cafe. It was decent enough for me, as I could still see the jumbo screens.

I had never been to the Expo before. On Sunday afternoon (around 1:20), it was posted as a 120-minute wait to get inside (30 minute wait for vacation package holders - also 90 minutes for the sorting hat ceremony, which you could get a glimpse of while you were waiting in the queue for the Expo).

We actually got into the Expo in less than an hour. It was very crowded inside, and as @Eckert said, there was another line inside a part of the Expo, which was for the WB Studio Tour HP Exhibition. We chose not to wait in line for that, as we had time constraints.

DBF and I are strongly considering getting the vacation package for next year. I wish we could get some sort of "a la carte" option for locals who are passholders, as we won't need the hotel portion. We shall see. :)

Last edited:
I think it's definitely time for this event to be expanded. The expo was insanely crowded and that's the sort of thing that shouldn't have lines to get in. I think they should move the expo to one of the large soundstages and perhaps expand it allowing more outside vendors into it. I think they also need to come up with some different packages. Keep the hotel package as a top tier and add a event only package that includes dining plan preferred parking and a few other things that could benefit someone not at the hotels. Then they could also add a general admission tickets with options either as an add on to your existing Universal passes or one that includes admission as well.

I think it's definitely time for this event to be expanded. The expo was insanely crowded and that's the sort of thing that shouldn't have lines to get in. I think they should move the expo to one of the large soundstages and perhaps expand it allowing more outside vendors into it. I think they also need to come up with some different packages. Keep the hotel package as a top tier and add a event only package that includes dining plan preferred parking and a few other things that could benefit someone not at the hotels. Then they could also add a general admission tickets with options either as an add on to your existing Universal passes or one that includes admission as well.
Yes. And the crowds will probably be even bigger next year since Beasts will have been out for a couple of months. I would imagine that will key interest even more.

Maybe the amphitheater wasn't used because they're clearing it out for Pets?

Nah, they used the theater this year for some of the events and presentations.

And yes, the event has outgrown one weekend. On-site guests are going to expand when Sapphire Falls opens up this year - and CB Towers the following year - so those vacation packages are going to grow in numbers.

Even if it's two weekends, it's a start. Have 1 big name for each weekend so it can spread the crowds.

I went to the cast Q&A on Saturday and the Expo on Sunday.

The cast Q&A was good - interesting that it wasn't in Toon Lagoon Amphitheater this year (not sure if it was last year, since 2014 was the last time I went). But it seemed like Toon Lagoon was a better place for it, as it seemed to have a better capacity, and there were actual seats.

It was indeed very crowded, esp. around the Music Plaza Stage (where the Q&A was held). DBF and I chose to stand in the back, on the sidewalk near Monsters Cafe. It was decent enough for me, as I could still see the jumbo screens.

I had never been to the Expo before. On Sunday afternoon (around 1:20), it was posted as a 120-minute wait to get inside (30 minute wait for vacation package holders - also 90 minutes for the sorting hat ceremony, which you could get a glimpse of while you were waiting in the queue for the Expo).

We actually got into the Expo in less than an hour. It was very crowded inside, and as @Eckert said, there was another line inside a part of the Expo, which was for the WB Studio Tour HP Exhibition. We chose not to wait in line for that, as we had time constraints.

DBF and I are strongly considering getting the vacation package for next year. I wish we could get some sort of "a la carte" option for locals who are passholders, as we won't need the hotel portion. We shall see. :)
Toon Lagoon Amphitheater was used during the day for the adult events, I went to the WWOHP forum there. The Music Plaza stage was used for kids events during the day and the headliner events at night.

Better late than never.

My review basically mirrors what you've heard before. For the Expo: wait in line outside to wait in more lines (yes plural) inside. I didn't bother with the studio tour line inside, the description didn't sound worth it and the line never appeared to move. I did wait in line for the poster at the Scholastic table. That line would have moved well if not for the people who didn't realize there was a line and just walked up to the table. If I don't read something radically different in the Expo description next year, I won't bother. I'm not saying there wasn't anything interesting to see, it just isn't worth the hassle to get into and there isn't much of it. Only brilliant move was moving the Sorting Hat outside, so you didn't have to listen to 150 people get sorted while in there.

By far the coolest thing in the Expo: the Lego Hogwarts. I didn't see any sign attributing it to anybody, it was just there. There was even a Chamber of Secrets buried ant-farm style against the side of the glass.

Here's the cast from the Saturday Q&A. Hearing Rupert Grint say "Bloody Hell" was priceless. I'd like to see some moderation of the questions (maybe pre-selected, or with a few thrown in by the host to keep things interesting). The cast seemed at a loss of how to answer some of the stranger questions. Also, thanks to the people who hoisted their kids up onto their shoulders for my lack of clear shots (yes I'm grumpy).

I like the people who dress up in costumes other than robes. Some people just dressed in clearly non-Potter random fantasy garb which I don't quite understand, but there were a few standout character costumes.

Hopefully after 3 years of basically the same thing, Universal shakes up the format a little bit (ok, a lot) next year.