A Mountain for Potterland | Inside Universal Forums

A Mountain for Potterland

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Feb 18, 2010
Hi! I draw these birdseyes illustrations. Here is one conceptualizing changing Dragon Challenge from a naked coaster to a themed one.

Wizarding+World+Enhance+3.PNG

More can be found on my site www.idealbuildout.blogspot.com, including these:

New+Tomorrowland+3.PNG

New+Dinoland.PNG

Good imaginative drawings. Now for the tough question. How is a 30-80 million dollar mountain for dragons challenge going to improve attendance 10% more than it has already improved? That is where the number crunchers come into a project. They want to be virtually guaranteed improved attendance of some percent.

MK's FLE is a bit different in that it had to do two things, improve attendance and improve guest experience and shortening lines.

Your DAK design fits the cost/benefit model the best.

:welcome:, RandySavage!

God, if only Uni would make such an epic mountain around Dragon Challenge.....:drool5:

P.S.: We have previously been in awe over some of your other "ideal build-outs" such as in your other IOA one that had a Grinch coaster in Seuss Landing.

Last edited:
Hey and thanks for the warm welcome!

Teebin makes good points about the realities of the concepts. When I do these kinds illustrations & conceptual site plans for fun, I think "What would I change to improve X?" and the realities take a backseat. Wizarding World the answer is: address the FJ showbuilding visibility issues and turn Dragon Challenge into a fully-themed coaster. It's not gonna happen, but still fun to imagine and draw.

Oh yea, RandySavage makes his way to Orlando United with is awesome concepts and illustrations! Welcome.

Yep, it is certainly fun to draw stuff like that. I drew picture after picture like that years ago despite its practical applications. The really cool thing is, only you know what is inside each of those DC caves... you thought about it and imagined what might happen. That is the really fun stuff. None of us know that.

I think the pylons are my favorite aspect of bringing a theme back to DC. Amazing drawings and thanks for sharing them!

I was really hoping Dragons Challenge would get a treatment similar to this but everyone who experienced Dueling Dragons prior knows what's there now is kind of a disaster.

That's probably the most impressive first impression I have seen here thus far. Welcome, and please stick around so you can feed our eyes more succulent, homemade theme park delicacies.

I think Dragons Challenge absolutely needs that enhancing due to the fact that the trains will not even duel anymore. That would be the only concern with the new theming and landscape. It would take away from their potential that they could duel again if they are not placed in carefully.

--- Update ---

I think Dragons Challenge absolutely needs that enhancing due to the fact that the trains will not even duel anymore. That would be the only concern with the new theming and landscape. It would take away from their potential that they could duel again if they are not placed in carefully. The pylons are a great idea and I always wished they could pull something like that off but that would actually likely be the hardest task as pylons have to absorb a lot of shock and remain open in case of emergency treatment and maintenance to the structure.

First off, welcome to OU! :wave:

Second off, that Mountain for Potterland wouldn't be a abd idea at all. It would definaly help out the theming more around the areas. However, the mountians that cover over Hogwarts would need to have a more tropical theme to fit into Jurassic Park. Other than that, I would love to see how you can cover up Hollywood Rip-Ride Rockit and Hulk's supports.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

It would take away from their potential that they could duel again if they are not placed in carefully.

I thought having the trains pass through a mountain might enhance the dueling aspect in that the near collisions could come out over nowhere: you're flying down a dark, enclosed "cavern", round a bend and the other coaster comes out of nowhere... could make for quite a startling experience by removing a lot of the peripheral glimpses of the opposing train.

Other than that, I would love to see how you can cover up Hollywood Rip-Ride Rockit and Hulk's supports.

I don't think Hulk really needs it because the background land is highly stylized. If Marvel Island had been designed to look like a real city, then Hulk could use some theme-ing to its structure, but I think as it stands it works for its environment. DD doesn't because the central core of Wizarding World is so authentically & artfully done (as was Lost Continent), it makes the naked coaster that much more jarring and in need of theme-ing.

As far as Rip-Ride... there's not much that I can see being done to make it mesh with its surroundings, because its environment sports the pretty bland Production Studio theme. If it had been located in New York or Expo, there might be some interesting possibilities.

Last edited:
Love it man, looks really good! As for other coasters which could do with it... I think we're all forgetting the tangled mess known as Battlestar Galactica at USS! Get to work :p

The idea in theory is ok, sadly it is way to much like another coaster in a Mountain at another park. That ride is Expedition Everest
first thing I thought of when I saw it. 2nd Universal would have to buy the Hess station and other property they do not own to build something like that. Not knocking your drawing it is very nice but sadly Dragon Challenge is what it is a suspended coaster that used to be a great dueling ride.

Wow. Nope that doesnt do your drawings justice. OHHHMYYYGAWSHHH!!!! :hail::hail::hail:. Yep thats more like it.
I like your ideas, especially your DAK drawing. You need to start designing rides for someone. Animal Kingdom in particular is in desperate need for a new E-ticket.