1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

A Quick First Time Disneyland Visit - Crazy?

Discussion in 'Trip Reports, Planning, & Questions' started by MLevell, Jan 23, 2019.

1. MLevell

MLevell Newcomer

So every President's Day weekend for the last 7 years I fly out to Los Angeles for a convention at one of the LAX hotels. I fly in late-night Wednesday, It runs from Thursday evening till Sunday night, I fly back to Florida Monday morning. To prevent having to tell everyone that I flew across country to hang out in a hotel basement, I try to grab an Uber and do something in LA before or after the con, usually it's a movie Thursday morning or a comedy show Sunday night, something that gets me out and that I can tell the people back home about.

Recently I've been giving advice to a buddy who's going to Disney World soon and it's put a crazy idea in my head, should I go to Disneyland on the Thursday?

Being born and raised in Florida I've obviously spent a lot of time at Disney World but I've never made it to Disneyland. The one time I went to LA before this tradition I went to Universal (and having been to our Universal a few months ago I don't think it would be worth my time to go back on this trip am I wrong?) and now that I go every year for this, when I do take vacation I don't want to go to Southern California.

So while I know spending less then one full day is not the optimal way to see Disneyland for the first time, it feels like the only way I'd see it anytime soon, and I figure the crowds will be even worse next year with Star Wars Land open.

So I come seeking advice, what's the best way for a solo traveler without a car to get from a hotel near LAX to Disneyland and back before say 5pm on (oh boy) Valentine's Day. If I focus on rides that we don't have in Orlando what's the best plan of attack, or is all of this not worth the effort and I'm crazy for even thinking of it.

Any Disneyland experts or people that have tried something like this, I'd love any help.

2. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

We’ll be prepared for a very long trek from the airport. You’ll want to get to the park as early as possible with a touring plan. Also look into buying MaxPass for the day to book Fastpass digitally. Finally you’ll have to make tough choices on what to ride: you will not be able to ride everting unique in Disneyland let alone DCA, too.

3. Skold

Skold Rookie

I did this once at an IT conference in 2003. It was great for what i was able to do, but I missed a lot. But we have no plans to go to SoCal anytime soon.

That said, I'd totally do it again if I was transferred back in time. A little bittersweet, knowing what I know now, but I'm glad I got to do the things I did.

I landed in John Wayne so no idea how crazy LAX is.

Do it! :)

4. UNIrd

UNIrd Premium Member

Do it.

Andysol likes this.
  5. JoeCamel

JoeCamel Premium Member

YOLO

Andysol likes this.
  6. MLevell

MLevell Newcomer

Well it's happening, I've download the app, bought my ticket with Maxpass, and am now trying to figure out the best plan of attack. Since on that day on-site guests will get into Disneyland one hour early, I'm thinking of rope dropping California Adventure, rush through the 4 or 5 rides there that I want, and then spend the rest of the day dealing with the lines at the main park. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Skold likes this.
  7. malice

malice Newcomer

Assuming you leave the resort around 3pm to be back at LAX before 5pm, that gives you about 6 hours to tour both Parks? Yikes, have fun and good luck!