Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Adventure Island Attraction - 2015

Lol Tampa's toilet is getting some love, can't say I'm not excited for whatever's coming. My hopes are for something like breakaway falls because my chances of going to aquatica anytime soon are slim to none

Lol Tampa's toilet is getting some love, can't say I'm not excited for whatever's coming. My hopes are for something like breakaway falls because my chances of going to aquatica anytime soon are slim to none

LOL... I had to go look at google to see what it amounted to because I was unaware of it. Dear me... (although it didn't help that google's pics were taken in the winter and all the pools were drained)

Having worked at the park in the past, something new is desperately needed. It gets a surprising amount of tourists, which tbh keeps the park alive, but much of what is in that park is very old or in need of refurb. The infrastructure in place is terrible as well. Just from personal experience in my job there, the drainage systems are TERRIBLE and we constantly had to keep tabs on them. Maintenance workers would also complain about how hard it was to work with equipment that has basically been in the park since it opened almost 35 years ago.

Basically a complete park redo is necessary to get it up to acceptable levels of quality, but Sea World Parks is really struggling right now. I'm actually surprised they're putting something new in. I guess this year was for Aquatica, next year for Adventure Island.

Last edited:
Say goodbye to The Gulf Scream and hello to something like this:

http://www.proslide.com/rides/tornado-24-tornadowave/

Water County got one of those this year and Aquatica San Antonio has the regular Tornado Wave, I am hoping Aquatica Orlando will get one of these hybrids eventually.

Does Adventure Island have room for something like this? Probably will be a superloop since they are cheaper, they are also super awesome :)

LOL... I had to go look at google to see what it amounted to because I was unaware of it. Dear me... (although it didn't help that google's pics were taken in the winter and all the pools were drained)
You should read my post in the clueless guest quotes thread so the next time you go to tampas toilet you can sit back and have a blast listening to trashy conversations like an old pervert lol

- - - Updated - - -

Having worked at the park in the past, something new is desperately needed. It gets a surprising amount of tourists, which tbh keeps the park alive, but much of what is in that park is very old or in need of refurb. The infrastructure in place is terrible as well. Just from personal experience in my job there, the drainage systems are TERRIBLE and we constantly had to keep tabs on them. Maintenance workers would also complain about how hard it was to work with equipment that has basically been in the park since it opened almost 35 years ago.

Basically a complete park redo is necessary to get it up to acceptable levels of quality, but Sea World Parks is really struggling right now. I'm actually surprised they're putting something new in. I guess this year was for Aquatica, next year for Adventure Island.
Ugh I feel you man, know many buddies who worked there and almost quit day one due to that crap, it's pretty unacceptable

- - - Updated - - -

Say goodbye to The Gulf Scream and hello to something like this:

http://www.proslide.com/rides/tornado-24-tornadowave/

That looks like a blast, count me in

Here's the official announcement:

http://www.buschgardenstampablog.com/colossal-curl-makes-splash-adventure-island-2015

Are you ready for a new thrill at Adventure Island? Colossal Curl™ is set to debut at Tampa Bay’s premier waterpark in 2015.

True to its name and holding up to four passengers, this mega slide delivers a high-adrenaline, action-packed adventure, making it the ultimate family thrill slide and adding to the waterpark’s unrivaled combination of corkscrews, waterfalls, high-speed thrills and tropical, tranquil surroundings for guests of all ages.

“We’re excited to continue in our tradition of offering thrilling rides, and slides, at Adventure Island and Busch Gardens Tampa,” said Park President Jim Dean.

60071_tornadowave3_20140729-400x264.jpg

Colossal Curl™ will be located in the center of the park, next to Mango Joe’s Café, and will take the place of Gulf Scream. The slide will be the tallest ride at Adventure Island at nearly 70 feet and 560 feet in length.

Construction on Colossal Curl™ will begin in the coming weeks and by early 2015 many of the ride’s features will be visible to guests as they arrive at the park.

Riders will hurtle high above Adventure Island’s 30 acres of water-drenched fun in the sun and experience a feeling of weightlessness aboard Colossal Curl™. This colorful slide combines funnel and wave elements for an exciting ride that’s sure to get hearts racing.

This is the first new attraction at the waterpark since 2006, and the ride is expected to open during the 2015 Adventure Island season, which begins March 2015.

Ugh I feel you man, know many buddies who worked there and almost quit day one due to that crap, it's pretty unacceptable
I did quit. The job was pretty easy overall tbh, but management mixed with problems dealing with the extreme summer heat for long hours on a daily basis lead to my quitting.

Thank god its taking the place of the gulf stream. Everytime I went on it gallons of water went straight through my nose and into my brain at a rapid pace, not to mention your swimsuit almost flying off when you slam into the water like a corpse. This will be an improvement in every way possible lol

- - - Updated - - -

I did quit. The job was pretty easy overall tbh, but management mixed with problems dealing with the extreme summer heat for long hours on a daily basis lead to my quitting.

understandable, that really sucks. Funny how I almost got a job there once, probably saved a ton of frustration

See that Cole, no more calling it a toilet... it's Tampa Bay’s "premier waterpark" :lol:

Honestly though it is way dated as y'all pointed out. It's too funny that many hotels have had something like this for many years now. Obviously this is a different kind of waterpark than Disney, Aquatica, and the elusive Volcano but it does need some TLC.

See that Cole, no more calling it a toilet... it's Tampa Bay’s "premier waterpark" :lol:

Honestly though it is way dated as y'all pointed out. It's too funny that many hotels have had something like this for many years now. Obviously this is a different kind of waterpark than Disney, Aquatica, and the elusive Volcano but it does need some TLC.

Oh no I love adventure island, just have a funny way of showing it. Waterparks don't need additions every year so I have no problem with the hiatus. Does it need some TLC? Maybe but this is a great addition, if only it could fit 6 people though, would love to have a ride with all my siblings in one tube lol

Yeah, AI is much more in line with Wet 'n Wild. It's a big locals park (although still pulls in a lot of tourists), theming is there, but is pretty light and tbh, it's a weak theme. Key West theme in Tampa? If I want Key West, i'll go to Key West, especially as a local :lol:.

But tbh, Aquatica isn't as good as many make it out to be. The theming is pretty much on par with AI, the park just has a better rep bc more money gets poured into it bc it's the money maker. Much more upkeep and additions happen at Aquatica, but it isn't that much better of a park in all reality.

Oh no I love adventure island, just have a funny way of showing it. Waterparks don't need additions every year so I have no problem with the hiatus. Does it need some TLC? Maybe but this is a great addition, if only it could fit 6 people though, would love to have a ride with all my siblings in one tube lol

Sorry Cole, sometimes my humor isn't... well... funny. They can't all be winners :rofl:

Tampa Bay’s "premier waterpark" does not mean much, I mean fill in the blank for AI is Florida's ____ waterpark. You can call it a toilet all you want :lol:

It just reminds me of when Gwazi was tooted as Florida's tallest, fastest, and only wooden rollercoaster. The last point made the first two unimpressive. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm glad AI is getting Colossal Curl! I went to Water Country USA this August, and it was a good ride. It had long lines - thankfully we had the 1-time priority boarding that came with our Quick Queue. Colossal Curl at WCUSA is right at the entrance of the park, it's new, and it's thrilling, so no wonder it had long lines.

DBF and I visited AI for the first time last month and actually had a great time. I know the park seems outdated, but I think it's kind of underrated. DBF especially loved the cliff jumping at Paradise Lagoon. So simple but fun. They had those slides that ended a few feet above the water, so it "dropped" you into the water, which you don't find in any other central FL water park. The Runaway Rapids area is quite unique from other FL water parks as well. I really liked how you walked through the mountain-type area with flowing water to get to the queue for the slides.

So yes, I'm excited for this addition to AI. :)

Got some pics while at BGT today. Had to park in the AI lot as it was very crowded.

New slide being staged in AI Team Member parking lot:
4355EE51-70B2-4D07-83FA-1DA5F6D45A2B_zpsbaimhdq7.jpg

Structure for the slide being erected:
757D419D-E545-49EF-9FDD-544661AEEE0E_zpswshihaah.jpg