Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Alamo Drafthouse Opening Orlando Location

I was wondering who'd post this..

but yeah, super jazzed that y'all finally got one of these. Heard nothing but great things from people I talk too, and has a lot of care put towards those theaters.

I've heard some bad things about one of the NYC ones, but that's about it.

I've heard some bad things about one of the NYC ones, but that's about it.

Honestly, I have only heard one or two things, but it's for the reasons why they have it so esteemed.

For those unaware, Alamo Drafthouse Cinemas has made themselves famous for a lot of things. They helped create to life things like Mondo, Birth Movies Death, Fantastic Fest; and others. But what they have prided themselves on, is a strict no-talk/no-phone policy.

They also have age policies as-well too, and have been a food/drink establishment on-top of the films (which have at-least 1 35MM projector per theater).

Maybe I just get lucky, but I never seem to have issues where people are texting or talking no matter where I go to see a movie.

To me the "no children" policy is what really makes a difference. I used to go to the Ritz Theaters in Philadelphia and South Jersey and they had a similar policy. It makes a huge difference to not have kids being brought into R rated movies by stupid parents.

It's been so long since I've been to Alamo Drafthouse, I can't wait to be able to go back! I remember going to Alamo when they only had one location, so amazing to think that one little weird theater has grown into a chain and spread out this far. I don't ever remember the no texting and talking policy, but I guess that wasn't a factor the last time I went to one. To me they were far more about all the special programming and in theater dining and drinking. Maybe we'll finally get an Orlando showing of Return to Nuke 'Em High Vol. 2 and perhaps this can be a new home for the Rich Weirdos with their monthly showing of RHPS.

It's been so long since I've been to Alamo Drafthouse, I can't wait to be able to go back! I remember going to Alamo when they only had one location, so amazing to think that one little weird theater has grown into a chain and spread out this far. I don't ever remember the no texting and talking policy, but I guess that wasn't a factor the last time I went to one. To me they were far more about all the special programming and in theater dining and drinking. Maybe we'll finally get an Orlando showing of Return to Nuke 'Em High Vol. 2 and perhaps this can be a new home for the Rich Weirdos with their monthly showing of RHPS.
Did they ever get around to Volume 2? I saw volume 1 at a screening with Lloyd Kaufman.

Did they ever get around to Volume 2? I saw volume 1 at a screening with Lloyd Kaufman.
Yeah, actually I was reminded of it because I was looking up showings at a current Alamo to see they’re current offerings and noticed he had a screening of it scheduled.

Personally I think ADH is way too good for Orlando, or Florida in general. I don't see it doing well. I'm sorry if this post comes off as negative. Most of the "art" theaters around here really struggle.

Personally I think ADH is way too good for Orlando, or Florida in general. I don't see it doing well. I'm sorry if this post comes off as negative. Most of the "art" theaters around here really struggle.

Normally, I could see why..but Alamo has built a brand to themselves. One in which, that I actually can see good for Orlando; especially if they market it in a way that's very appealing for locals in the evening hours.

Normally, I could see why..but Alamo has built a brand to themselves. One in which, that I actually can see good for Orlando; especially if they market it in a way that's very appealing for locals in the evening hours.
The problem is they’re building in the middle of the tourist area, not where locals live in Orlando. I say good luck to them on people following their rules, ESPECIALLY the age restrictions.

This explains why Disney Springs AMC is making upgrades.

I think Orlando is ready for an "art house" theater. The Enzian does a good business, and special screenings of classic films at the other local theaters have been drawing large audiences.

The local population has no problem going to Disney Springs, I don't think Alamo will have a problem.

This explains why Disney Springs AMC is making upgrades.

I think Orlando is ready for an "art house" theater. The Enzian does a good business, and special screenings of classic films at the other local theaters have been drawing large audiences.

The local population has no problem going to Disney Springs, I don't think Alamo will have a problem.
Disney Springs has needed upgrades for years. I think it was actually more to do with CityWalk changing theater chains and getting upgrades that we finally see DS getting their upgrades.

The problem is they’re building in the middle of the tourist area, not where locals live in Orlando. I say good luck to them on people following their rules, ESPECIALLY the age restrictions.

yes, this was my thought too. They are better opening closer to a hip suburb then the tourist district which most locals avoid like the plague.