Alligator Drags 2 Year old into water at Grand Floridian resort. | Inside Universal Forums

Alligator Drags 2 Year old into water at Grand Floridian resort.

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just awful in every sense of the definition. I hope to god the parent's child is ok; as its just frightening to me about something like this happening..

It's amazing the amount of non-Floridians that are unaware of the dangers of gators. I've seen tourists see gators in Rivers of America and think it's part of the show and they are animatronic.

Down South, you kind of grow up with the sights of them so it becomes part of the routine, but you know that in certain areas you have to be vigilant.

Obviously at Disney, it's kind of hard to think the waters would be dangerous at all, but it's the unfortunate reality of Florida. So sad for the family, and just a sad week in Orlando. Hopefully some happy news hits the area soon.

To think Disney just donated 1 million dollars and how they will probably be sued for many more millions after this. After all this news, who from over seas would want to come to Orlando.

So sad & scary. :( I really didn't think there were wild alligators on WDW property.
Bodies of merky water attract gators. They can be in any water at any time. They have seen a few gators at the beach this year. That's a bit odd but just goes to support the thing everyone is saying about Gators being anywhere.

Growing up in Florida, one thing you learn is if you get in the water you take a risk. Period. If you turn your back near water you take a risk. At the same time it is the duty of owned or controlled bodies of water to have warning signs for familiar sightings of gators and such.

Also Gators are good at hiding under cars. I live near 3 canals and several lakes. Whenever I step our I look under the vehicle.

I realize gators could be in any body of water here. A gator lived in the lake behind my freshman dorm at UF, even.

I guess I just didn't think of gators being on any theme park property - well, wild ones as I mentioned. I guess I naively thought that they might somehow control that due to the risk of danger to the guests/CMs/TMs. Definitely a sad reminder to be vigilant around bodies of water here.

I realize gators could be in any body of water here. A gator lived in the lake behind my freshman dorm at UF, even.

I guess I just didn't think of gators being on any theme park property - well, wild ones as I mentioned. I guess I naively thought that they might somehow control that due to the risk of danger to the guests/CMs/TMs. Definitely a sad reminder to be vigilant around bodies of water here.
Disney 7 seas Lagoon (I think that is where this was and what's its called) is all natural. Walt wanted that. They didn't do very much to the animal environment that was already there. Therefore, it remains a threat and always will. Even with Gator Hunting in Florida, they move and migrate. Hard to track these things. This might sound crazy but Gators dint get enough credit for their survival methods and adaptability.

Reactions: Journey_On
There's a press conference live on CNN right now.

It's a family from Nebraska that are staying at the Grand Floridian. There were signs saying no swimming, but the child was in the water when the Gator grabbed him. The father entered the water, he also located a life guard to help.

They've been searching for about 4 hours and won't leave until they find him.

I can't even imagine what the family has to be feeling right now. It was at night so they means that it would be incredibly hard to see the alligator in the water until it came out of the water and attacked. I wonder if this will spark any changes to the lagoon as far as what wildlife is in there.

Reactions: 12th Man
Status
Not open for further replies.