Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Am I an A-hole?

Am I an A-Hole If I go?

• Yes

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No

Votes: 20 87.0%

• Total voters

Ash

Mar 10, 2013
Please read before just saying yes straight away... although you would be correct!

So, I'm a huge Universal fan from the UK, I first went in 1992 and went every year until 2010.
Since 2010 I have been 3 times.

In all this time I have only been to Halloween Horror Nights once (for the sweet 16) and I loved it.
My wife is currently pregnant with our first child.
Baby is due 6th November.
She has given me a pass to go to Orlando for HHN this year as she knows how much I love the parks and we will not be returning to Orlando until our child is old enough to appreciate it (a good 5 or so years I would say) and we certainly would not be taking a child of that age to horror nights.

So.... Do I go?
I was planning on going for just 1 week and being there for the first night of HHN and come back so I will be home a good 8 weeks before baby is due, but.... am I an A-hole for leaving my 6 and a bit month pregnant wife to go to HHN and ride Kong?

Please read before just saying yes straight away... although you would be correct!

So, I'm a huge Universal fan from the UK, I first went in 1992 and went every year until 2010.
Since 2010 I have been 3 times.

In all this time I have only been to Halloween Horror Nights once (for the sweet 16) and I loved it.
My wife is currently pregnant with our first child.
Baby is due 6th November.
She has given me a pass to go to Orlando for HHN this year as she knows how much I love the parks and we will not be returning to Orlando until our child is old enough to appreciate it (a good 5 or so years I would say) and we certainly would not be taking a child of that age to horror nights.

So.... Do I go?
I was planning on going for just 1 week and being there for the first night of HHN and come back so I will be home a good 8 weeks before baby is due, but.... am I an A-hole for leaving my 6 and a bit month pregnant wife to go to HHN and ride Kong?

This is so familiar to me it's almost unreal. I first went in 1992 as well and went every year till 2008 and have only been twice since then. For the first time, I'll be there for HHN with my wife this year but she is flat out refusing to go as she hates this type of thing. We went on Nemesis Sub Terra and it was horrific.

She has said I can go to HHN myself one night and she'll stay by the pool in Cabana Bay.

I think the real question is, how sincere is your wife in letting you go? Is she saying it in the hope that you don't go and if you do she'll be secretly pissed?

Depending on when you're there, we could go together and feel guilty as hell but have a great time.

If you 'truly' have her blessing, then the answer is no. Now, as for the tricky part: 'truly', add to this two other words 'woman' and 'pregnant' ... I'd say ask her, but ... lol ... man, congrats on the kid, there is nothing greater, just glad this is your decision not mine :)

Reactions: Ash
wow that is pretty similar, it's good to hear from someone with a similar situation to myself.

I think she is sincere, yes but I'm still not sure that makes it right for me to go.. I've been asking myself how I'd feel if my sister was 6 months pregnant and my brother in law went to Orlando for a week...

I would definitely be up for meeting up and going together. I would probably go September 16th the first night and come back a day or so after.

I suppose if i was going on a bachelor party I would still be going... I'm just not sure what to do in this instance.

wow that is pretty similar, it's good to hear from someone with a similar situation to myself.

I think she is sincere, yes but I'm still not sure that makes it right for me to go.. I've been asking myself how I'd feel if my sister was 6 months pregnant and my brother in law went to Orlando for a week...

I would definitely be up for meeting up and going together. I would probably go September 16th the first night and come back a day or so after.

I suppose if i was going on a bachelor party I would still be going... I'm just not sure what to do in this instance.
Maybe just wait and see how the pregnancy goes along, with a baby growing inside and hormones changing, things change. Also, excitement might build in you, and you might not want to go.

I mean maybe not a full week, but a quick trip while she spends time with friends would be a good break?

NOTE: I am single.

I was in this situation for HHN24 and last year as well as she was home with the baby. My wife said it was ok for me to go. Being local makes it a little different for me, but I do go more often. I don't really go out and do too much stuff otherwise, so for me this is kind of my one thing. I know that she really doesn't like it so I try to make it up to her in other ways.

Tell her that she is more important to you than HHN and you all will go when the time is right.

Gets you a pass for life dude!

HHN will be here in the future. Too much money involved for it not to be.

I realize this is for a pleasure vacation but would you feel the same way if you had to be away from home for a week if it was for work? I do get it this trip isn't absolutely necessary but

Does she have family and friends at home that will be there to support her?
Could a sister or sister in law come and stay to keep her company for the week?

Two women home with your credit card and a "free to spend pass" is definitely going to cost you and make you think twice about doing that again!!!!!!

j

ps: I myself probably wouldn't go but only because HHN isn't a good enough reason for me to
leave and its far, but I did go out on a 5 day drunk session camping with my buddies 6 hrs away when my wife was then 3 months pregnant, And I've been away from home at work for 4 days straight many many times

Last edited:
This could be the same if it was a work trip. I'd say you're far enough out that it would be ok as long as everything is going good with the pregnancy.
We are expecting our son in about 2 weeks or so. Just make sure she is ok with it and in good health.

Bonus points if you read the baby books on your flight, that will most likely make a huge difference. I'm a jerk and never got a chance to read the ones she bought for me.

I think it is fine personally, My wife would probably say the same and her parents would be around for the time I was away to look after her. Just make sure you have list of flights you could return on at short notice if any problems etc. Question is will you be able to relax if you do go?!?!

You know us woman actually sometimes like a little time to ourselves to do what we want to do. I used to kick my husband out the door to go do things with his friends so I could have me time. But every woman is different. I only tell him yes if I actually mean it. I am not one to say yes and then be mad about it afterwards.

I would say as long as her pregnancy is going well and you are not going to miss any big doctor appointment (like an ultrasound or test results) then you should be good to go. I think it will be more tough to do these trips after the kids come because taking care of a baby/kid by yourself depending on the temperament of the child is probably a lot more stressful than it is now while she is pregnant.

I vote go. If she is truly cool and ok with you going then go for. You know her better than any of us so if she is the type that says its ok but will be upset then you may want to reconsider.

If you 'truly' have her blessing, then the answer is no. Now, as for the tricky part: 'truly', add to this two other words 'woman' and 'pregnant' ... I'd say ask her, but ... lol ... man, congrats on the kid, there is nothing greater, just glad this is your decision not mine :)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is so familiar to me it's almost unreal. I first went in 1992 as well and went every year till 2008 and have only been twice since then. For the first time, I'll be there for HHN with my wife this year but she is flat out refusing to go as she hates this type of thing. We went on Nemesis Sub Terra and it was horrific.

She has said I can go to HHN myself one night and she'll stay by the pool in Cabana Bay.

I think the real question is, how sincere is your wife in letting you go? Is she saying it in the hope that you don't go and if you do she'll be secretly pissed?

Depending on when you're there, we could go together and feel guilty as hell but have a great time.
I say go, but only if she is getting a babymoon vacation of her own at the same time, maybe a spa with friends?