AMC Pleasure Island Imax | Inside Universal Forums

AMC Pleasure Island Imax

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Dec 20, 2009
Orlando, FL
dont know if anyone cares but at downtown disney's theatre they are adding an Imax theatre. When I was there today they said it was supposed to be opening later that night. It is not a true Imax but it should still look pretty big since it is in theatre number 1. For anyone that hasn't been there that theatre is one of the 2 biggest theatres they have. They were supposed to be opening Avatar tonight I was told.

so I just got back from the Best Picture showcase and while I was there at PI I looked at the new imax theatre. now they don't have anything saying that it is an IMAX on the theatre. They also updated the screen and it actually is wall to wall and from the very bottom of the theatre to the top. Now i don't know the exact dimensions of this screen but when I was comparing it to the one at Pointe Orlando it looked like it would not disappoint even though it is not true IMAX. I tried to take pictures of it with my phone but they kept showing too dark to show the actual screen.:mad::mad: I haven't seen a show in it yet but when i see Alice in Wonderland there I will let you guys know.
By the way I'm new to Orlando United and hope to get more involved in some of these boards.:happy:

so I just got back from the Best Picture showcase and while I was there at PI I looked at the new imax theatre. now they don't have anything saying that it is an IMAX on the theatre. They also updated the screen and it actually is wall to wall and from the very bottom of the theatre to the top. Now i don't know the exact dimensions of this screen but when I was comparing it to the one at Pointe Orlando it looked like it would not disappoint even though it is not true IMAX. I tried to take pictures of it with my phone but they kept showing too dark to show the actual screen.:mad::mad: I haven't seen a show in it yet but when i see Alice in Wonderland there I will let you guys know.
By the way I'm new to Orlando United and hope to get more involved in some of these boards.:happy:

Welcome! Your info on the screen is much appreciated!

That would be GREAT news if the screen is closer to Pointe Orlando's in size, unlike Universal's.

And welcome! Thanks for the info........

I've checked the Imax web site http://www.imax.com/ and Downtown Disney is not listed (yet). The only official Imax 3D theatres in the Orlando area are Pointe Orlando, Universal and Waterfod Lakes.
However, if you to the AMC Pleasure Island website http://www.movietickets.com/house_detail.asp?house_id=3509 , it is presented as an "Enhanced Theatre Experience" , not a truly Imax 3D experience IMO

Ahhh.... so this may be just an IMAX "knock-off"....... that would explain why this came out of nowhere......

on AMC's website http://www.amcentertainment.com/PleasureIsland/# that is the link to it they show the enhanced theater experience.
ETX_157x110.jpg

this is what they say about ETX Enhanced Theatre Experience

ETX Includes 20% larger floor-to-ceiling screen, breathtaking sound and digital projection that is higher resolution than HD.
Add $2.00 per ticket for 2D films and $4.00 per ticket for RealD 3D films
one more thing I was reading up on ETX and it seems like this experience is supposed to be competition for the fake IMAX screens popping up across the U.S.

Last edited:
so i just saw Alice in Wonderland:pop: at the ETX theatre.:happy: SO first off it is not as big as an imax screen but when you are looking at the screen it is still pretty amazing. The picture quality and the sound system is second only to a real IMAX it is pretty awesome. If you have an annual pass for Disney when you see a movie in the theatre it is only 11 dollars so it is worth the money and it is cheaper than IMAX. :thumbs: