Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

American Idol Reboot on ABC (WDW to hold auditions)

Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
The popular singing show is moving from FOX to ABC this fall and all auditions will be held at Walt Disney World for 2 weeks this summer, so expect a lot of synergy. The reason for a sit down audition is for cost effective reasons and due to the wide variety of people who visit WDW.

With Ryan Seacrest now employed by ABC as a co-host next to Kelly Ripa, he is thought to be the host again. The show will be moving to New York instead of Hollywood as well, so no more "I'm going to Hollywood".

The popular singing show is moving from FOX to ABC this fall and all auditions will be held at Walt Disney World for 2 weeks this summer, so expect a lot of synergy. The reason for a sit down audition is for cost effective reasons and due to the wide variety of people who visit WDW.

With Ryan Seacrest now employed by ABC as a co-host next to Kelly Ripa, he is thought to be the host again. The show will be moving to New York instead of Hollywood as well, so no more "I'm going to Hollywood".
I guess American Idol may return to DHS. Is the Frozen show still happening in that theater? or is it sitting empty?

If cutting cost is the agenda to start off, yes, keep the auditions simple, one on each coast. People want to be on this show, they will travel. Perhaps the story will be in how they got to the audition

If cutting cost is the agenda to start off, yes, keep the auditions simple, one on each coast. People want to be on this show, they will travel. Perhaps the story will be in how they got to the audition
From what I've read, there won't be a west coast audition, just WDW. If there is a wet coast audition, talks for that are for it to be held at Disneyland (likely Anaheim CC).

They see WDW and Orlando as a melting pot of people so they think people will come to them (and stay at Disney too!).

It's return was pretty much guaranteed soon based on recent reports that NBC and FOX were in a bidding war to reboot the show. Both placed offers and both were declined (NBC wanted it so they could ease the stress on The Voice and move it to only 1 season per year instead of 2... Fox wanted it just to have it). This is why I was surprised to see ABC end up with the show. ABC landing Seacrest may have been a selling point.

It's return was pretty much guaranteed soon based on recent reports that NBC and FOX were in a bidding war to reboot the show. Both placed offers and both were declined (NBC wanted it so they could ease the stress on The Voice and move it to only 1 season per year instead of 2... Fox wanted it just to have it). This is why I was surprised to see ABC end up with the show. ABC landing Seacrest may have been a selling point.

NBC passed because they wanted full ownership of their upcoming shows rather than having an outside company produce. ABC wanted it because Dancing with the Stars and most shows outside their comedy lineup are being surpassed rating wise by other networks. Fox was being cheap and ABC paid a lot more for it. The question is will the pay off be worth while. Also for the auditions at WDW are they going to charge those who audition park admission to try out. Or will it be 100% outside of the parks.

NBC passed because they wanted full ownership of their upcoming shows rather than having an outside company produce. ABC wanted it because Dancing with the Stars and most shows outside their comedy lineup are being surpassed rating wise by other networks. Fox was being cheap and ABC paid a lot more for it. The question is will the pay off be worth while. Also for the auditions at WDW are they going to charge those who audition park admission to try out. Or will it be 100% outside of the parks.
I doubt the auditions would be held inside of the actual parks. I'm thinking more of one of their convention halls (Contemporary, Coronado, Yacht Club, etc) or one of the facilities at Wide World of Sports.

They would probably try to edit it to make it look like it's in a park though. Do a bunch of clips talking with a few select people they want to run a story on and do it inside the parks.