Animal Kingdom Villa and 4 Days at WDW/Universal | Inside Universal Forums

Animal Kingdom Villa and 4 Days at WDW/Universal

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
May 8, 2010
Portland, OR
Hey guys,

I am treating my best friend to 4 days at Animal Kingdom Villas this week for his Graduation from College. I've been to both Universal and Disney more than I can imagine but I am going to do a trip report of Animal Kingdom Villas and Drinking Around the World. Let me know if anyone is interested in reading it!

Count me in please! I'm very interested in this!

Sorry for the late reply! Work and graduate school has been killing me... Anyway.

Trip Report:

Part 1: The Resort

To begin, I will discuss the process of how I booked the room. I actually always staying on Disney property. I love the bus system (Drinking around the world ; ), and the overall feel when staying at each of the resorts. Even though I am from Central Florida, every time I stay at Disney I really feel that it adds so much to the overal experience. The one thing big beef I have with the Disney World resort are the prices. These hotels are so nice but at the same time they are not a viable option simply because a one night stay can be hundreds on dollars an that is pretty ridiculous considering the vast array of hotels in the nearby area that are much cheaper . I decided this time I would look into renting DVC points because I wanted to stay at some of the nicest hotels on property without going bankrupt. I went on DIS boards and found someone who rented points out to me for 11$ per points, and I was able to book a Standard view Kidani village (Animal Kingdom Lodge) for around 600$ for 4 days in May. That price was awesome considering the time we went, the hotel itself, and the fact that it was roughly the same price as 4 nights at Disney's "value" resorts. I just wanted to stress that renting DVC points was a great process and I would definitely do it again, especially during slow times! I plan on doing it again for a trip in October, with a room at the boardwalk for less than 90$ per day. Anyway... on to the resort

Kidani Village is the DVC area of the Animal Kingdom lodge and has two Savannahs: The Pembe-Only for Kidani and the Sunset Savannah which it shares with the Jambo house area. The whole resort area is beautiful with lots of wood, earth tones, and a great overall feel. I just loved walking around the resort with the huge windows down every hall that outlooks the Sunset Savannah.

Check in was actually pretty easy although the woman who checked us in gave us the wrong person's check in packet which was confusing and they also did not know our room number yet. They took our phone numbers and was supposed to text us when the room was ready which never happened. We just eventually went back and got the room number from the check in desk at a later time. It wasnt a huge deal because we were headed to the free day at Blizzard Beach. Which had a a HUGE line when we first got there:

IMG_0877 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr
My particular room was the standard view which features either the parking lot or the pool. Our view was actually not that bad as you will see in the pictures. We had a view of a pond and it was a nice area to just chill after a long day at the parks. I had the studio room which is the smallest but it is essentially larger than the average hotel room. We had a kitchen area with fridge, microwave, sink and coffee maker. A large bathroom with the toilet separated. The main room is made up on beautiful aged African furniture, and I believe that I saw/read somewhere that they actually have tribes that make the furniture for them and they use them in the resort. It has a queen bed with a queen pull out couch. There is a lot of space in this room, and we had 5 people in our room and it never felt that crowded. I really love the small touches like the masquitto netting over the bed, the Canvas tent that made up the curtains, and small touches of lion king characters are throughout. Once again I want to stress how cool it is to walk the all towards our room and see the animals through the windows. I was able to see Giraffes, Ostrich, zebra, and many more. Next time I stay I will definitely go ahead and spring for a Savannah view. Do I think that not having that view ruined my time? No so much, I was able to save some money and I was still able to see a lot of animals through the lobby, the observation deck, and the windows which I was happy with. You cannot really see the animals at night anyway so it was not that big of a deal breaker for me. The Kidani village also has the Sanaa restaurant which I will highly recommend for lunch. The food was some of the most flavorful Disney food that I have ever had and I enjoyed the whole meal with the view of the Savannah. The food is Africa/Indian and has a lot of delicious spices in each of the dishes that makes them so flavorful There were also many places to simply sit and enjoy the surroundings with huge windows outlooking the savannah. There is a really nice pool as well on one side of Kidani village and it offers a fitness center, hot tubs and water slides. A great pool and it was not packed at all during our stay. It seems almost hidden away among the foilage. I liked the feel of DVC because it seemed slightly smaller and gave an intimate feel (in the lobby).

Cons: There really isn't maid service during your stay because this is essentially a timeshare. We did not have a problem with this because there were so many towels and we picked up the room ourselves. You can call the front desk if you want the room cleaned. Also, since this resort is so far away the busses take quite a bit to get to any park other than Animal Kingdom. We had to wait over 25 mins before a bus picked us up from Magic Kingdom because of the distance. These are really the only things I had a beef with but the resort is beautiful!

IMG_0879 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0896 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0857 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0858 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0860 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0872 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr
IMG_0861 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0862 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0863 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr
IMG_0865 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0868 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0870 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0939 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0924 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0920 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0921 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0926 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0928 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0929 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0930 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0931 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0883 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0895 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0894 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0892 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0890 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0889 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0888 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0887 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0886 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0884 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0883 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0882 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0881 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

IMG_0880 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

Last edited:
I have not eaten at Jiko yet but all I have heard are good things. Sanaa is more a casual eatery with great food and reasonable food while Jiko is fine dining and much more expensive.

This is great so far, I've stayed at the Lodge only once but have visited for dinner numerous times. Looking forward to the drinking round the world awesomeness.

Indeed! :lol:

How long was the bus ride from Epcot to Kidani?

The reason I ask about the bus ride length is because I've seen numerous instances where drinking round the world has gone bad on the bus ride home. I've seen people blow chow all over the windows and on the seats and take a bus out of commission. Upon mass exiting of the bus I talked to the driver who told me if it happens, it happens coming from Epcot after closing.

The reason I ask about the bus ride length is because I've seen numerous instances where drinking round the world has gone bad on the bus ride home. I've seen people blow chow all over the windows and on the seats and take a bus out of commission. Upon mass exiting of the bus I talked to the driver who told me if it happens, it happens coming from Epcot after closing.

Wow, I would be so embarrassed if that happened to me.

Okay.. Here are my thoughts from Drinking Around the World for the second time.
This has become a yearly tradition for the beginning of Summer for a friend and I. Last year, we stayed at the Carribean Beach Resort(I wouldn't really recommend it), and because of this we got the extra magic hours. We drank around the world from 8-12am and I was quite "gone". This year we decided to spread it out, and actually started at 12pm instead.

The first drink occurred at Biergarten:

IMG_0966 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

Biergarten is one of my all time favorite restaurants at Disney. It has great food, atmosphere, and great price in terms of Disney. The german fare is awesome and pretty much the best tasting buffet I have ever had. At Beirgarten I had the 1 liter Oktoberfest, which is a medium darker beer and a 5% alcohol content. it was crisp and refreshing. I drank it pretty slowly throughout the meal, but it was a really great beer.

Next:

IMG_0972 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

This Kung Fu Punch from the Garden Festival Kiosk. Last time I had plum wine and decided to do something different. It was a mixed drink with Rum, madarin orange juice, and something else I cannot quite remember. It tasted on the weaker side to me and was really sweet. This was definitely not my favorite. It was not very Chinese-esque in hindsight.

Now.. to the WORST THING I HAD

IMG_0973 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

This is the Glacier shot from Norway and it was a potato based vodka. I thought that instead of a Carlsberg, I would try to something exciting. I drank this while in the Viking exhibit and almost instantly vomited everywhere. It was like drinking warm rubbing alcohol. It had a TERRIBLE taste, and I will never take one of those shots again. It was expensive, disgusting and almost ruined my drinking around the world. Do not buy this shot, it is really really gross.

Next... Mexico

IMG_0974 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

We then headed to Cava de Tequila which was packed! There was a line outside of the door. They were so busy that all the margaritas were already premixed and they were just basically pouring them instead of making them on the spot. I chose the blood orange margarita. It was tart and sweet and actually pretty strong. I did not really love the hibiscus salt on the rim, I thought it detracted from the drink. I really wish they would have made it fresh (especially since they were $13) but I was happy with my drink. At this point, I was feeling quite "happy". Riding los cabelleros was quite fun compared to "adequate" that is usually was.

Next... Canada!

IMG_0980 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

This was the "tronotopolitan". It honestly just tasted like cranberry juice. Not very thrilling and super boring. I had help finish a moosehead beer, as well which was okay. Not my favorite. It just tasted like a standard beer.

Next UK...

IMG_0981 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

At the UK, I had a strongbow. I love Strongbow and pretty much any hard cider. It has such a crisp, clean taste that I just love. We sat down on the outside patio for awhile and enjoyed our drinks. We actually also met a new friend of top of a building:
IMG_0903 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr
This was definitely a point of "content"

Next... France

IMG_0985 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr
This was called La Vie en rose. It has rose wine and I believe elderflower liquor. It was really amazing. It was not too sweet, nice and cold, and a good strongness to it. I found it to be the most refreshing of all the drinks I had that day. This was drink from the flower and garden festival, so it is likely gone but was an awesome drink. Not the most manliness, but this time was all about trying something new.

Next... Morocco
Apparently I did not take a photo of this... I was getting to the forgetfullness part of my drinking adventure. I had the Moroccan daiquiri. It has rosewater, and strawberry. very good tasting but also very sweet. Morocco is definitely the most limiting of all the pavilions. They only have a few options.

Next... Japan.

IMG_0988 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

Here I had the "frozen" Kirin Ichiban. A Frozen beer in Japan has a frozen foam that is added. It basically keeps the beer ice cold with the think foam. This was actually one of my favorites. It reminded me of butterbeer if it tasted like real beer. Very cold, refreshing, and if you already like Kirin Ichiban, I say go for it! I will note at this point I was drunkenly speaking Japanese to staff. I was an Asian studies major in undergrad and this usually happens when I drink around the world.. Gomen nasai !

Next.. AMERICA! HECK YEAH....

IMG_0990 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr

I am whisky kind of guy so I always get the red stag lemonade. There is just something about the sweet/sour taste and whisky that is really amazing. It is one of the best little secrets. Most people may get Samuel Adams but try the Red Stag Lemonade! We ended up going to the American Adventure show, and I was pretty gone. I do not remember much of the show (I've seen it before) but I remember memorized by Susan B. Anthony and her tiny glasses. Why? I do not know. I really did not like her tiny glasses.

Finally... Italy

IMG_0994 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr
Italy for me is a blur. I ended up getting limoncello which is one of my favorite liquors of all time. It is like tasting amazing candy lemon drops that get you drunk. We had dinner reservations at Via Napoli and headed there. My limoncello got spilled on me, so I ended up getting a limoncellodrop:
IMG_0995 by jlnorris1025, on Flickr
This meal to me felt like it was 5 seconds long. I remember the pizza being some of the most amazing pizza I have ever had. I do not remember any of the conversations or how long we were there. By the time we were leaving the restaurant was pretty empty, and as we were walking back towards the entrance of the park we pretty much had the entire world showcase to ourselves. At one point I remember sitting on a bench and remorsely talking about how I have grown up and now am an adult. Which is pretty hilarious to me. We headed to the bus which we had to ourselves! Again that felt like 5 seconds. I did not feel sick at all that night even though we were drinking for around 8-9 hours. SNL that night was pretty hilarious (From the alcohol I suspect!)

Coming Soon in July will be a picture review of Busch Gardens Williamsburg!

Last edited:
Justin, how much money would you guess you spent on all the drinking? Just wondering since it adds up really quick there :lol: Great report by the way

- - - Updated - - -

I threw up on a ladies high heels in the checkout line at Publix. This gives me an idea for chit chat, most embarrassing moments!

Rookie :lol:

I guess I cant really talk. I told you how I could have sworn I saw a leprechaun jump out of a trash can at HHN 2009 after a night of severely heavy drinking :lol: