Armchair Universal Creative - What Would You Do? | Inside Universal Forums

Armchair Universal Creative - What Would You Do?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jan 30, 2013
What would you do to make Universal Orlando BETTER! :D

(like an brainstorm as if you were Creative)

Mods, if I'm posting in the wrong section please let me know! :thumbs:

For Me:
CityWalk/Hotels
- New hotel themed to the "Greatest" Universal Movies (Jaws, Despicable Me, King Kong, E.T., Back To The Future)
- Streetcar connecting the hotel and city walk (like Disneyhead mentioned).

Universal Studios Florida
- Fix up entrance
- Retheme KidZone to Bikini Bottom from Spongebob with a ride like Autopia (themed to Boating School), house meet and greet, a dark ride, playground, and Krusty Krab restaurant.
- ET has a new entrance WITH A PLUSSED QUEUE in the "Hollywood" section. (Look at a bird's eye view, they aren't far apart)
- Fast and The Furious Ride in World Expo replacing Fear Factor Live.
- "Classic Monsters" Land with a Vekoma Pandora's Box e-ticket, a year-round Dracula castle house, and a Frankenstein Labs animatronic show
- Twister is re-themed to a new show based off of Broadway.

Islands of Adventure
- Mount Crumpit dark ride in Seuss
- Amber Mine Family Coaster in Jurassic Park
- Rocky and Bullwinkle Omnimover and Toon Lagoon revamp (no longer lagoon it will have less water theme)
- Lost Continent will get an EMV ride themed to a boat with Poseidon casting a curse on you (Giant Sea Monster, Sirens, Whirlpool, etc.)
- Lagoon Night Spectacular

:smiley:

I would do basically what UOR is doing right now, with a few exceptions -

I want the JP expansion to include a Discovery Center Dark Ride, and an Amber Mine Coaster. I also want the Mt. Crumpit ride, the following list are things that aren't rumored that I want. I think UC is on a great path and want to see it continue, but this is what I would change.

Bring back a form of back to the future, the series is still an incredibly important part of popular culture, but I would like to see a version where doc comes to you in the "alternate 2015" and brings you back to "fix the timeline" to what was originally supposed to happen in the series future.

Iron Man ride to replace the amphitheater.
T2 remake/upgrade. Keep the storyline but do what was done with Spiderman to make the 3D modern.
COMPLETE MAKEOVER OF PRODUCTION CENTRAL.
IOA Lagoon Show
Streetmosphere from Singapore for JP
Upgraded Poseidon's Fury show, it's pretty embarrassing how it is but the effects are still fantastic.

I'll edit this post later with anymore ideas, but these are what I thought of off the top of my head.

I like this!

CityWalk-

I'd like to see them snaz up the "hub". Its just gray and kind of kills the excitement. Now granted its quickly regained but if they were to make some banners that hang around the edge of the hub with the different rides etc...I think it would do a good job.

Universal Studios-

Update the entrance
Make Production Central more cohesive
Obviously Update Kidzone and theme it to Nickelodeon properties. Spongebob being the primary character
ET is refurbed and updated and moved to Hollywood.
FFL is gone in replace of a James Bond stunt show
Back empty space utilized for a new land that is cohesive with MIB
Find a way to honor past rides/great movies with a Backlot Tour feel to it.

IOA-
Add a new MSHI ride
Jurassic Expansion
Showbuilding of HP to be covered (not a priority but it would be nice)
Lost continent to be brought back to its former glory with a new ride and a new show.
Poseidon is updated and refurbed to great extents
Lagoon show day/night

IOA:
Full JP expansion, with a Raptor Encounter
Comedy show in the Toon Lagoon theater
Sinbad is replaced with a new show
Incredible Hulk refurb
Dueling Dragons is upgraded heavily

USO:
Upgrade Rockit to make it more of what it was originally planned to be
FFL is replaced with a MIB stunt show
Use land next to MIB and makes sure it's cohesive
Upgrade ROTM
Add a Spongebob ride to Kidzone
Add a walk through attraction looking at the resort's past, present and future

Citywalk/Hotels:
Add a Safari Lodge hotel, like the one in Jurassic Park
Add a restaurant similar to Rainforest Cafe, but with a different theme
Build a bigger Universal Orlando store
Show on the lagoon separateing IOA and USF

My Dream Expansion

CityWalk

Better restaurants/stores (the Rainforest Cafe style restaurant is a good idea)
Small attractions along the lagoon
Trolley/tram to get to the parks
HRRR is available to CityWalk guests after USF opens
New show replaces Blue Man Group (or it becomes a part of USF :happy:)

USF

Production Central
The entrance area gets a total revamp (The store, candy shop, etc)
A new studio tour-style attraction is opened (visiting the soundstages behind HRRR)
HRRR gets a total revamp including a skyscraper-themed lift hill, various city buildings throughout the ride, and new ride video

New York
Twister is replaced with Lights! Cameras! Action! from Singapore
ROTM gets an upgrade (all movie set theming is taken out and changed to a museum)

San Francisco
Disaster gets its rumored upgrade
Beetlejuice is replaced by "Wicked - The Musical"

Diagon Alley
Everything planned as well as a family-friendly dark ride themed to Ron's brothers and their hijinks

London
Fear Factor demolished and moved back for a top-notch James Bond stunt show (Les Miz could work if they couldn't get the license for Bond)
A mini-London Eye ferris wheel is placed along the lagoon
The new space created by moving FFL back would bring a recreation of Big Ben - possibly holding a TOT-style ride (needs a movie that would work)

SyFy City - First new land
MIB gets a massive upgrade (new AAs, new segments with MIB III characters, more effects)
A E-ticket spinning coaster - Star Trek - The Intergalactic Voyage would be built next to MIB in a small part of the 15-20 acre expansion pad between MIB & Simpsons/behind
Kidzone
A plussed clone of the Accelerator ride in Singapore (enclosed with AAs, fog, and strobe lights)
A small show or play area themed to Battlestar Galactica could also be included

HorrorVille - Second new land (using up most of the remainder of the expansion pad)

The Quest for Monster's Brood (Vekoma Box's E-ticket) - themed to Van Helsing or classic monsters
"Hotel Transylvania" attraction
Creature From the Black Lagoon submarine ride (21st century Submarine Voyage)
Dr. Frankenstein's Lair (walkthrough connected to E-ticket's castle facade)
Norman's Wrath (scarier version of Alien Encounter! Must be at least 16 to ride) - Could be themed to Hannibal Lecter as well
King Kong 360 (extended, plussed version of the Hollywood one) :kingkong:

Springfield
Possibly a play area
Recreation of the Simpsons' house (like Toontown)
No elements would be cut
Kentucky Fried Panda would remain!

Universal's Tropical Wonderland (KidZone retheme/expansion)

Nick subarea

Animal Actors is torn down and replaced with a smaller Dora show
Flat ride themed to Diego/jungle animals is placed nearby
KidZone Pizza is torn down for "The Krusty Krab"
Fievel is torn down for a Bikini Bottom play area (slide remains though)
A Jellyfish flat ride is built right next to Fievel
SpongeBob gets a top-notch E-ticket trackless dark ride where Curious George once stood

Illumination subarea

Curious George gets replaced with an upgraded Curious George play area (moved over by Woody Woodpecker)
Woody Woodpecker gets turned into a family coaster (with AAs, show scenes, theming, etc)
A carousel is placed nearby themed to Universal characters

Hanna-Barbera/WB subarea

Barney makes way for a Scooby-Doo haunted beach house dark ride (Mr. Toad style)
The remaining area of the expansion is used up for the rest of this
Looney Tunes gets a Bugs and Daffy led jungle cruise (with AAs and everything)
The Flintstones get an attraction near the Skull Island area to make the transition seamless

Hollywood
E.T. gets its entrance relocated to Hollywood (behind Gardens of Allah)
Gardens of Allah is used/repurposed for a small attraction or store
Horror Make-Up Show gets revamped (or moved to HorrorVille)
T2 3D gets an upgrade
Lucy - A Tribute is replaced with a Universal movie museum (featuring Jaws, BTTF, etc) - all of the major props would be here for guests to look at (Lucy would still be included)

IOA

Port of Entry
Small Streemosphere show
Island Skipper Tours are brought back (with stops in SL and TL)
Rumored IOA lagoon show (themed with a Hero vs. Villain flair - but different from Fantasmic!)
IOA parade (if they can)

DC Superhero Island (Replacement for Marvel)
Escape From Arkham Asylum (new tech is developed to make a new dark ride rather than a replacement)
Green Lantern - Cosmic Combat (rethemed Hulk with buildings around the track, LED lights, projections and AAs)
Storm Force is enclosed and themed to Flash (huge fans simulate speed)
Dr. Doom is rethemed to Lex Luthor or Superman
Wonder Woman gets a small stage show near that open area along the lagoon

Toon Lagoon
Amphitheater is torn down and used for a Mr. Peabody and Sherman dark ride
A smaller show is placed by the old Amphitheater plaza
Carnival games spaced is used for Rocky and Bullwinkle mini-swings flat ride, and Skipper Tours station
Me Ship, the Olive gets an upgrade
Dudley-Do Right gets a massive overhaul and all of the things cut from the ride would be brought back along with AA/projection upgrades

Jurassic Park
The Thunder Falls plot is used for a Helicoptours E-ticket (using never-before-seen tech)
A show/walkthrough of some kind is added near Thunder Falls
The walkaround Raptor from Singapore is cloned and brought here
JPRA gets a massive upgrade with new scenes/effects
Pteranodon Flyers gets an extended track, and 6-8 person ride vehicles (going all the way to the Helicoptours area and back to Camp Jurassic)
Camp Jurassic is expanded
A flat ride could be added to Camp Jurassic
Burger Digs is renovated
Discovery Center dark ride (only an extension of the Center rather than a replacement)
Amber Mine family wooden coaster (IOA's Mt. Everest/Space Mountain)

WWOHP
A small attraction (nothing big since this area's pretty well-rounded)
Ollivander's revamp/replacement (why have two of them?)

Lost Continent
Sinbad gets revamped to be less corny
A C-Ticket Greek mythology dark ride is added in the small area next to Sinbad
The carnival games are torn down for a small flat ride/attraction for kids
Mythos remains exactly as it is!
Same goes for the fountain!

Seuss Landing
Poseidon's Fury is repurposed for a Mt. Crumpet indoor/outdoor bobsled coaster with a vertical drop segment (IOA's Matterhorn/BTMRR)
A top-notch triple-decker ferris wheel themed to Yertle the Turtle is added by the lagoon
A Skipper Tours station is added near the SL/LC bridge
Seuss Trolley is upgraded/expanded to be more entertaining
Cat gets a major refurb with new effects and a return to the original extreme amounts of spinning :hat:
An indoor Lorax flume (similar to It's a Small World) is built next to Cat
A permanent stage show using the Grinchmas soundstage would be added to the area as well (themed to either Seussical or Horton Hears a Who)
The planned Noisarium (only scaled-down) is added
If I Ran the Zoo gets repaired

Other
A new family-friendly hotel (with Dora, SpongeBob, Despicable Me, Looney Tunes, Scooby, HP, Transformers, Simpsons, etc)
WonderSea Island water park

My Dream Expansion

A small show or play area themed to Battlestar Galactica could also be included

Suggesting that BSG and the Human/Cylon war is a good play theme for children?

I've put a lot of thought into this; keep in mind this is my wishlist. Everything on here is possible, not necessarily plausible or reasonable.

CityWalk:
- Expansion of CityWalk over Hollywood Way into the current parking lot for Royal Pacific to include more shops and space to make it as big as the Hollywood Citywalk.
- Replacement of NASCAR Cafe with NBC Sports Grille
- Lagoon fountains, always on. Something Bellagio style, but that doesn't impede boat traffic.
- Replace NBA City with....anything really.
- Fix the escalators so that the one on the right side goes with the direction you'd be going (right now they're reversed and it drives me crazy)
- Replace the tattoo shop and Element with slightly more relevant stores.

IoA:
Marvel
- Removal of Marvel theming to a Gotham/DC theming. (More likely if WB gets their **** together with Justice League) Complete rebuild of facades to have the more '00s/'10s comic appearance rather than the 90s cheap drawings. Realistic facades.
- Repaint of Hulk to grey with new LCD equipped trains, water dive in the back section, and a modernized queue.
- Removal of Storm Force/Doom with new practical ride. Or rebuild of Doom to be more like Lex Luthor. (So much higher and launched ups and downs) with practical effect ride to replace Storm that remains family centric.
- Spider-Man retheme to Super-Man, rebuild of queue to support Single Rider line.

Toon Lagoon
- Toon Theater bulldozed and rebuilt to either stunt show like Indiana Jones or replacement of Toon Lagoon
- Burn down Toon Lagoon and replace Ripsaw with a better ride that doesn't break constantly. Replace Toon Lagoon with LotR, Loony Toons, anything really.
- Rebuild Ripsaw show building at bare minimum.

JP
- Increased effects on JPRA inside show building.
- Raptor photo op.
- Refurb of Camp Discovery
- Replace Pflyers with family wing coaster. (Yes, something can exist)
- Amber Mine coaster to replace Trike Encounter. Half indoors, half outdoors. Similar to Big Thunder.
- Discovery Center dark ride. Not an omnimover.
- Island Skipper tours

WWoHP
- Additional HPFJ queue constructed behind show building similar to the gardens but with an awning so no one will look up and complain about the show building...
- Removal of Olli post-Phase II and replaced with larger shop experience.
- Wall off Forbidden Journey lockers inside the dungeons and make accessible only from the outside.
- With above, expand the locker area outside the shop.
- Add decoration to the Dragon Challenge track area.
- Add Coke products....not that hard to do.

LC
- Revitalize the Poseidon's Fury with current effects and the old storyline.
- Change Sinbad into a ride.
- Remove the current carnival games and rebuild the Merlin's wood section of the former LC.
- Starbucks. Please.

Seuss Landing
- Give Cat in the Hat a much needed refurb to today's technology.
- Get rid of the Zoo play area.
- Expand Sneech Beach into the Lagoon with more play area for the kids.
- Take the "Oh the stories you'll hear " and existing One Fish, Two Fish and make it the Lorax trackless dark ride.
- Move One Fish, Two Fish to the current Zoo area.

PoE
- Refurb Island Traders.
- Island Skipper Tours. 'nough said.

USF:
PC
- Production Center rehaul including a repaint and refurb of the facade.
- Reinclude Blue Man Group/Sharp Aquos in the USF borders.
- Give Nickelodeon whatever they want to return to Orlando and bring back the Nick game shows.
- Turn the Concert Stage into something resembling Five Towers at USH.
- Refurb Monsters Cafe
- Turn Shrek into anything not Shrek.
- Twister into a movie production demonstration.

NYC
- Mummy refurb. Get rid of the stupid ending to the ride. Fix turntable issues and scarab brightness.

SF
- Destroy Disaster or at least its pre show and fix the ride for the love of god.

World Expo
- Jason Bourne replaces Fear Factor. (007 would be an awful stunt show.)
- Retheme to SciFi city.
- Men in Black refurb with new guns and the like.
- Expand the back of house area to include a Battlestar Galactica ride and a Star Trek ride.

KidZone
- Redo the land with common Nick theme.
- Slime Geiser return.
- Bikini Bottom play area.
- Something awesome to replace Curious George but not change the concept at all.
- Replace Woody with a better and bigger coaster more like Big Thunder.
- Redirect ET queue to NYC
- Animal Actors into a Spongebob ride. (Its roughly the size of Cat)

Hollywood
- Aforementioned ET queue reroute
- T2:3D revamp into new 4K technology with new storyline, better practical effects, Dolby glasses, and less cheesiness.
- Lucy and the like into modern Hollywood.

I'll probably add more later, but this is the start.

Last edited:
USF:

Refresh the entrance to make it as impressive as other top resorts, including a refresh of the look for Production Central
Upgrade Shrek film to bring it up to date with new movies (the cat character whose name I forget isn't even featured)
Replace twister with a Broadway style show
ROTM large refurb
Ditch the idea of Disaster, make it a Backlot tour type attraction playing homage to BTTF, Jaws, Kong, Ghostbusters, etc
Star Trek in vacant expansion pad (Fast and Furious test track type attraction too since there is definitely room for both)
Bond stunt show in place of FFL
Kidzone revamped with Bikini Bottom overlay, Dora show replacing Barney, and trackless dark ride for Spongebob
ET and T2 deserve some nice refurbs
More properties added to parade
replace Rip Ride Rockit banner with a huge LED screen
Add an area in an expansion pad for transylvania
Animal actors becomes HTTYD show

IOA:
Mount Crumpit ride
Cat in the Hat refurb
Poseidon's fury refreshed with possibly a dark ride in the current show building
Replace Sinbad with ANYTHING
Add foliage to Dragon Challenge theming it to the Forbidden Forest and concealing it a bit better
JP expansion complete w River Adventure refurb, amber mine, discovery center darkride and streetmosphere
Toon Lagoon theater used for something
Dudley Do-Right refurb with better show scenes
MSHI is tricky because they cannot really add new rides (although I'd love Iron Man), so refurb Hulk and add something interesting to Fearfall or Accelatron effects wise
Lagoon Show

What I would do to improve UOR? Nothing!!!!!!.................... Just kidding.

After Potter 2.0 and JP expansion,

- finish Dudley Do-Right.
- update T2 pre-show to be more modern.
- retheme Fievel water play area to Spongebob.
- partially clear Gardens of Allah in order to demo Kidszone pizza co. for Krusty Krab.
- apply upgrades to Disaster.
- bring back the tank to the Hulk.
- Mt. Crumpit.
- tear down Toon Lagoon Theater for a trackless ride featuring Rocky and Bullwinkle, Woody Woodpecker, Looney Tunes, etc.
- new attraction to replace Barney.
- James Bond to replace FFL.
- Iron Man and Thor Meet and Greet characters.

I would pitch the Big ,Cold ,Dim Room sponsored by Lazy Boy and Sharp Tv's.A bunch of recliners and Flat screens playing ads for new Universal shows/movies.Think of the ad revenue .I am sure there are empty rooms they could use .

A lot of people here are saying they would "fix up" or "refurb" Production Central at USF. But what, specifically, would you do? If you wanna be creative you gotta be creative :)

A lot of people here are saying they would "fix up" or "refurb" Production Central at USF. But what, specifically, would you do? If you wanna be creative you gotta be creative :)

yeah I noticed that too hahaha. It doesn't take that much creativity to just say 'fix something'. Personally though, I think Universal does Production Central well. The only thing I could maybe think of to fix it is add more backlot-type paraphernalia to really scream 'production' so people know that the bland look is intentional and in-theme. Oh, and of course, make the Transformers building blend in a bit better (at least paint it the same color as the other buildings).

But yeah, I think that Production Central actually isn't too shabby besides Shrek 4-D. It serves its purpose and is good for what it is.

I would basically just eliminate Production Central and replace is with New York to the north and Hollywood to the south. Retheme the buildings in that area to their respective areas.

Yeah, I think back in the day when everything was SIMPLY was a soundstage in Production Central, it worked a lot better. I remember walking through there and all the red rotating lights were spinning on the exteriors, I actually thought I was someplace special!

Then, over time, "theme creep" started to happen (debris on the side of the soundstage on Twister, a rollercoaster coming out of the side of a building, the Shrek decor, the Dispicable Me house...) and then it starts to not make sense/look cheap.

Yeah, I think back in the day when everything was SIMPLY was a soundstage in Production Central, it worked a lot better. I remember walking through there and all the red rotating lights were spinning on the exteriors, I actually thought I was someplace special!

Then, over time, "theme creep" started to happen (debris on the side of the soundstage on Twister, a rollercoaster coming out of the side of a building, the Shrek decor, the Dispicable Me house...) and then it starts to not make sense/look cheap.

I actually agree with this--it really does look cheap, especially people who don't know any better. Production Central is a perfect example of when 'less is more'.

This is obviously being done with absolutely no attention paid to budgets.

CityWalk
-Open RRR after hours for CityWalk customers.
-Extend the wooden/boardwalk motif from the waterfront to the whole area.
-Close NBA City, retheme it to IoA, and open an Adventurers Club-esque dining show there. Retheme NASCAR Cafe to NBC Sports Grill

USF
-Redo entrance and extend Hollywood Boulevard to the gates.
-Tear down Shrek and replace it with a two story, Haunted Mansion-like dark ride themed to the Universal Monsters.
-Replace Twister with a Les Mis or Wicked musical production
-Replace FFL with some sort of stunt show, whether it be Bond or Bourne.
-Build a Back to the Future dark ride in between MIB and Simpsons using Test Track-like technology
-Retheme KidZone to Toon Studios
-Demolish Animal Actors and Barney, replacing them with 2 Fantasyland-like dark rides. One would be Woody Woopecker themed, the other would be a more current property.
-Demolish Curious George, and use it and all the available surrounding land to build a trackless "Toon Studios Tour". Basically Bugs Bunny is giving you a tour of Toon Studios when all hell breaks loose. The ride would include cameos from a ton of old and current cartoon stars.
- Demolish Fievel and Woody's Nuthouse Coaster and build a Spongebob-themed Mack Splash battle.
-Reroute ET's queue and exit to enter/exit at Gardens of Allah, making the ride safe from the change over and making it a Hollywood Boulevard attraction. Then theme the outside of ET's building to match toon studios.

IOA

-Keep Lost Continent, but overhaul Poseidon's Fury to be a real showstopper, and replace Sinbad with a Sinbad dark ride.
-Demolish Toon Lagoon and replace it with the Hobbit.
-Add a lagoon show
-Add a Lorax dark ride to Seuss

Islands of Adventure

- Destroy the Toon Lagoon theater and DO SOMETHING with the transition between Toon Lagoon and Marvel. I hate the tacky carnival games, the ugly theater, the visibility of the Spider-Man show building. I don't care if they extend MSHI or Toon Lagoon in this area, but it is the "achilles heel" of IOA.

- Removal of the carnival games in The Lost Continent. Like, why do these even exist? Nothing screams "Arabian village" more than giant teddy bears and the loud ring of someone winning a prize.

- More foliage under and around Dragon Challenge. Make this seem like The Forbidden Forest. I really don't like flying over dirty ponds and weeds. It needs to be denser and more "beautiful". And I hate on Fire where you can see the ugly soundbarrier. Like, some trees in front might help make it less noticeable.

- Moving the entrance to JP from WWoHP back. I hate entering the gates of Jurassic Park and still being able to easily see Hogwarts and even worse, the showbuilding. Or waiting in the greenhouse for FJ and hearing the JP theme. JP is a big enough land that I don't think it'd be too hard to move the gate back.

- Speaking of the showbuilding, they need to do SOMETHING with it. I know it is probably really difficult or near impossible to hide that thing, but I'm sure that there is a logical way. Or even just hide from the view of Jurassic Park. I hate being near Pizza Predatoria and seeing a giant white wall and then a gate which hardly hides the backstage areas.

- Obviously new JP ride and definitely changing Poseidon's Fury. I think it would be far better as some sort of awesome dark-ride. And removing Sinbad for some sort of other show or ride would be nice too. Just not for anything Harry Potter...

- I'd love to see Dr. Doom's Fear Fall being enclosed. Like one tall tower that resembles some sort of contraption, and inside there are tons of special effects. And it could lift you up, then drop you down. I don't want it to be too similar to TOT, but enclosing it would help enhance the experience (for me at least) and would help make it a bonafide E-Ticket, and making it a lot scarier than what it is now. Doom's Alley and the queue for the ride are so ominous and foreboding (both are perfectly done), but the ride just doesn't hold up to being as scary as it seems.

I'll post my USF thoughts later...