Aspiring Park Photographer | Inside Universal Forums

Aspiring Park Photographer

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

jtsalien

V.I.P. Member
Mar 9, 2011
T.A.R.D.I.S.
So one hobby I've been looking into lately is photography. I've always loved taking pictures in the parks, but I never worried too much about what i used. Typically, it's just my phone or a pretty simple digital camera. However, I am looking to get a good quality camera and begin to take things more seriously. So my question is what kind of camera what you guys suggest I look into? I am not looking for high end, but something above average for sure.

Also, do you guys have any other general tips for in park photography?

Well, it all depends on your price range. If you want a good investment, and be on the pro and introductory level, the Canon Rebel series is what I'd recommend. Again, it all depends on budget.

I am using a Sony HX1 20x zoom $400 (I paid $250 ) for a bridge camera, until I am ready to move up to SLR, and a cyber-shot 10x zoom $190 for a pocket camera. You can get a good used camera on ebay or craigslist to start with.
I had tried a cannon but did not like the fact that you couldn't take a picture while using the LCD.

My advise, I am not a photographer, for cameras and pictures is:
.... patience, wait for someone to get out of the shot, or way, if possible.
....Always take more than one pic if there something that you might not see again or is just a great shot. If you get the White Tiger sitting on the log you want to make sure you got the picture. I have taken shots that look fine on the LCD but are blurry on the computer when blown up. It is no problem to erase a bunch of pictures to ensure a good one.
....Take pics at different times of day, shadows and lighting changes through out the day.
....Choose a camera, or lense, with image stabilization.
....Spare batteries and memory cards. Buy the most memory you can get for a reasonable price, again ebay is a good resource for cards Memory cards have writing/downloading speeds, just something to think about. A car charger is not a bad thing either.
....Make sure you have a tag on your camera, strap, case, or backpack. Your name and number can get you back your stuff. Seen it happen.... put down camera... walk away... and forget it. Something as simple as a pet ID tag could get you back your camera and pictures, the pictures (most times) are more important than camera.
....Know your camera settings. youtube has a lot of tutorials.
....Always back up your picture files after you upload them!!!

I am using a Sony HX1 20x zoom $400 (I paid $250 ) for a bridge camera, until I am ready to move up to SLR, and a cyber-shot 10x zoom $190 for a pocket camera. You can get a good used camera on ebay or craigslist to start with.
I had tried a cannon but did not like the fact that you couldn't take a picture while using the LCD.

My advise, I am not a photographer, for cameras and pictures is:
.... patience, wait for someone to get out of the shot, or way, if possible.
....Always take more than one pic if there something that you might not see again or is just a great shot. If you get the White Tiger sitting on the log you want to make sure you got the picture. I have taken shots that look fine on the LCD but are blurry on the computer when blown up. It is no problem to erase a bunch of pictures to ensure a good one.
....Take pics at different times of day, shadows and lighting changes through out the day.
....Choose a camera, or lense, with image stabilization.
....Spare batteries and memory cards. Buy the most memory you can get for a reasonable price, again ebay is a good resource for cards Memory cards have writing/downloading speeds, just something to think about. A car charger is not a bad thing either.
....Make sure you have a tag on your camera, strap, case, or backpack. Your name and number can get you back your stuff. Seen it happen.... put down camera... walk away... and forget it. Something as simple as a pet ID tag could get you back your camera and pictures, the pictures (most times) are more important than camera.
....Know your camera settings. youtube has a lot of tutorials.
....Always back up your picture files after you upload them!!!

Some very good tips for ya there jtsalien. I am a firm believer in patience on the right shot. If people are standing in the way of your shot, just wait a few minutes until you get the perfect snap. Night photography is always fun to play with as well, as neon lighting and accent lighting on attractions kind of "pop" when shooting in the right settings. Each camera is different, but if you're going to mid-range to SLR camera, I would read up on Aperture, ISO settings and color balance. These three things, if set in the right way, can win you great results. YouTube is always a great learning source. Good luck on your purchase! Let us know what you buy!

Well, being in a photography class would make me seem as an ameteur, but I just have these tips for good photography:

1. NEVER EVER place the object that you want to be the main subject in the center unless the balance is uncannily well-done in the themed attraction itself. (e.g. Cinderella Castle)
  2. Adding on to the previous statement, try to place your main subject(s) into the intersections of the "rule of thirds" grid (google it). Trust me, it adds much more interest to the shot and will make the viewer look at it for a longer period of time.
  3. Know your camera inside and out and go on a couple of test shoots around your neighborhood. You want to study how to get the best, most crisp shot you can afford with it.
  4. A tripod will never not be worth it, especially during night shots with all those long exposure times.
  5. Know all the settings that your camera will allow you to change and practice changing them to train your finger muscles.
  6. More about composition: The basic and best rule is to keep your verticals vertical and your horizontals horizontal!!! Never try and attempt a shot where your camera is tipped to the side at an awkward angle, as this will create a confusion in the viewer and they will instincively want to look away. Don't be afraid, however, to get on the ground or on a ledge to get a shot above the "main height" (~5' - 6') of the human eye. Try to get a child's perspective on many things, for example.
  7. Try to make your main colors pop by using their various opposites on the color wheel. For example, in a shot of Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, you'd want to get some greens and blues in the shot because they contrast nicely with the bright red track. Or if you want to take a shot of something more aged, such as Tower of Terror, use more vibrantly green plants than "normal".
  8. If you're going to get a DSLR, make sure you can buy some lenses with it, too. You at least, in my opinion, should have a basic telephoto lens for some good long range shots.
  9. Learn about and USE (!!!) the main Principles and Elements of Art. A quick google search will bring up loads of definitions. Study these!

Those are the basic guidelines one should follow. Of course, Photoshop can help in terms of composition with your placement of the main subject as well as the colors of the actual shot, so that's always useful. Good luck, and have fun shooting!

Last edited:
Reactions: Felipe
You can get good shots on a pocket digi. I have a D-40 and a Coolpix and more often then not you'll see me using the Coolpix. Esp at the parks. My shots might not be as sharp but the DSLR can truly be a pain to carry around, especially at a theme park.

There's a lot of good advise above, but the biggest thing I would say is to practice, practice, practice and practice some more. The more familiar you are with your camera the more confident you'll be when it comes to shooting the "real" thing. I found Flickr to be a good tool for learning also, you can look at others shots and check their exif data which tells you what settings they were using to get the shot. This gives you some idea as to how you might get a similar result and of course you can speak to other photographers for advise.

In terms of what camera, it all depends on your budget and what you want out of your camera. My friend has a Panasonic Lumix TZ10 which he swears by because it's pocket-able, has good zoom & has speed and aperture settings similar to those you'd get on a bigger DSLR - I think it's about $230. If you want something more "advanced", I've heard great things about the Cannon Rebel series, and I love my Panasonic G2.

Wow! Thank you guys so much. Those are all some great tips. I'm definitely going to bookmark this thread for future use haha.

I really haven't decided on budget yet (my recent birthday and tax return are kid of clouding my logic haha). But right now I'm looking into the Canon Rebel Series, the Panasonic Lumix, and the Coolpix.

I can't really add anything everyone else said it already... Practice... Play around and write down what you did.. don't be afraid to experiment, sometimes that creates the best photos you've taken.

I can with my T1i rebel... I rarely use it unless its a weird angle though... eats battery.

I can't really add anything everyone else said it already... Practice... Play around and write down what you did.. don't be afraid to experiment, sometimes that creates the best photos you've taken.

I can with my T1i rebel... I rarely use it unless its a weird angle though... eats battery.
Its been awhile since I looked at all of the cameras but, I think that camera was a little out of my price range for my first venture into that realm... my biggest problem is lugging all the gear around the parks. I generally like to leave my phone, keys, and wallet in my vehicle or hotel room so I don't have to carry anything at all.

If you want a DSLR I suggest you go on eBaY and pick up a slightly out of model design. Like one that came out in 2006 or so. You can get them much cheaper and sure you lose a few features but it does a lot of the same stuff and you will still get a lot of support on the model w/ lenses and what not.

If you want a DSLR I suggest you go on eBaY and pick up a slightly out of model design. Like one that came out in 2006 or so. You can get them much cheaper and sure you lose a few features but it does a lot of the same stuff and you will still get a lot of support on the model w/ lenses and what not.

That's a great idea i will definitely try that.

Its been awhile since I looked at all of the cameras but, I think that camera was a little out of my price range for my first venture into that realm... my biggest problem is lugging all the gear around the parks. I generally like to leave my phone, keys, and wallet in my vehicle or hotel room so I don't have to carry anything at all.

true, that is the problem with DSLRs... though at least universal has free lockers for ride time. unlike Busch/Sea... and Disney doesn't care that much. If you want a Canon with no thrills try XSi, it's an older model but still comparable to todays newer stuff, I still use my XTi from time to time and it works just as well... though slightly less pixels. just remember if you get a DSLR then your with that brand for the longer run.. unless your prepared to get new lenses for the other brand when you switch.

i vote Nikon DSLRs all the way. its leaps ahead of canon in terms of image quality and technology. I just carried my camera and one lens that whole day. the nikon 18-105 (i left my other lenses in my car, i knew id need something that could get wide) and have an ok zoom on it. an 18-55 wont cut it if you are only gonna carry one lens into the park.

I'm personally a Nikon guy, just because that is what I am the most familiar with and grew more with the Nikon. We got my D-40 off eBaY for less than $700 and then we picked up a Sigma lens for about the same price. D-40 kits run on eBaY now for about $300-400. I'm sure you can get an older Rebel as well.

I use a Nikon D80. You'll probably find that your lens selection is more important than your body after a while though; for instance using a lens with an aperture down to 1.8 or so for night photography.