Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Attendance Tracker

There's not seemed to be much outreach over here this year in terms of advertising. Obviously a lot of people already know about the whole Orlando scene and are repeat visitors, but it's felt this year like no one has been talking about Orlando, and there's not been the general 'buzz' around it which there usually is during summer. My Facebook feed isn't full of friends' photos in front of Hogwarts.

I also wonder how long the rapid expansion model can convince people to keep returning from a large distance. We made several trips in 2009-13 at the start of the 'new era', but even we now haven't been for a couple of years and aren't really able to keep up with the new stuff = more visits formula as we used to.

There's not seemed to be much outreach over here this year in terms of advertising. Obviously a lot of people already know about the whole Orlando scene and are repeat visitors, but it's felt this year like no one has been talking about Orlando, and there's not been the general 'buzz' around it which there usually is during summer. My Facebook feed isn't full of friends' photos in front of Hogwarts.

I also wonder how long the rapid expansion model can convince people to keep returning from a large distance. We made several trips in 2009-13 at the start of the 'new era', but even we now haven't been for a couple of years and aren't really able to keep up with the new stuff = more visits formula as we used to.

It's a delicate balance. Build new rides to make people want to return but don't build too much that people might put off a trip for a year to see more new rides in a single visit.

Fortunately, Universal's demo is more locals and domestic tourists than WDW, but US tourism is having a hiccup year. It is not uncommon for the economy to get shakey during an election year. Particularly one with such a loose cannon doing so well at the polls.

I predict next year will be a very strong year for Universal.

Fortunately, Universal's demo is more locals and domestic tourists than WDW, but US tourism is having a hiccup year. It is not uncommon for the economy to get shakey during an election year. Particularly one with such a loose cannon doing so well at the polls.

Not to sound nasty saying this, but I'm hoping the US economy takes a bit of a tumble to make up for the pound falling.

During the last election I seen Obama driving past in 2012 in Orlando. It was a few nights later that guy in the pizza place lifted him up.

Reading on Magic today that this was the first time in 15 years that no single WDW park went to any phased closing level on July 4th.

I'd absolutely love to know more about unique visits to Orlando. It's widely been stated that Disney benefits from 'once in a lifetime' or 'once every 3 year' trips.

How many people went to Disney in 2012 and then again in 2015 and thought, hang on this is more expensive and they've built next to *** nothing, it's a lot busier, and I'm probably a bleeding mug spending what I have for this experience.

Love Disney. Love Universal. But by Lord I'd love the Disney bubble to burst in their faces to encourage serious investment.

I'd absolutely love to know more about unique visits to Orlando. It's widely been stated that Disney benefits from 'once in a lifetime' or 'once every 3 year' trips.

How many people went to Disney in 2012 and then again in 2015 and thought, hang on this is more expensive and they've built next to *** nothing, it's a lot busier, and I'm probably a bleeding mug spending what I have for this experience.

Love Disney. Love Universal. But by Lord I'd love the Disney bubble to burst in their faces to encourage serious investment.

That's how I felt in 2012 and my last trip was in 2008. I don't think there was anything new off the top of my head. A few rides had been upgraded but that's it.

Potter has changed everything and now we're Disney scrambling to catch up.

I believe Disney's across the board 30% price increases, closing 2/3rds of DHS, cutting everything they can, and opening nothing but low budget retreads has also put a minor damper of attendance figures.
I believe that TDO is finding out that their bulletproof base ain't so bulletproof.

Things are getting ugly down at the mouse house.

Very accurate and honest. Disney can't pad the number anymore, though they will try (I bet they'll somehow convince others the overall market is softening more than it actually is to make them seem less weak).

This is ringing more true daily, not just in Orlando but Japan and SoCal.

That's how I felt in 2012 and my last trip was in 2008. I don't think there was anything new off the top of my head. A few rides had been upgraded but that's it.

Also from the UK.

Went in 2001 as a child when IOA was brand new and it blew my mind. Finally got into the financial position where I could return 14 years later, last year and wow Universal had evolved and Disney was stale in parts. For someone who hadn't visited for 14 years to think that felt weird. I have maintained an active interested in the theme park industry whilst growing up though so I'm possibly more in tune than most.

I don't think many tourists pay much attention to new rides so I'd take that out the equation when thinking about attendance. My colleague went this week and said he was going to go to 'the Harry Potter park' but won't have time to go on spiderman when I advised him. Shudders.

(Fortunately I won't have to wait long before my next visit...June next
Year :) )

Very accurate and honest. Disney can't pad the number anymore, though they will try (I bet they'll somehow convince others the overall market is softening more than it actually is to make them seem less weak).
Didn't Disney recently state that they increased prices to cut attendance so as to provide a better experience to their guests? This means a decline is a good thing.

I recently stayed in a budget motel for one night while visiting Universal. I won't mention which one. It had only a Universal standup in the lobby. The ticket counter was running only Universal video. My room had only a Universal ad display on the table.

Why is this of any interest? The motel was on 192. It was just down the road from WDW. It was a DISNEY GOOD NEIGHBOR Hotel! Universal was out marketing Disney on their own doorstep! No wonder Universal is starting to eat Disney's lunch. Kudos to the marketing department.

It should also be noted, that what many of you have said is consistent with the fact Orlando continues to see record numbers of visitor and airport travelers to the city go up. People may be spending less time at the parks, but our hotel occupancies stay pretty high. Orlando as a city is doing great so far though! Hopefully the parks can get it together with the pricing.

Didn't Disney recently state that they increased prices to cut attendance so as to provide a better experience to their guests? This means a decline is a good thing.

That is buisness talk for "Hey, we KNOW we are about to take a hit, so let's spin it to the share holders this way so when it happens it seems like it was planned all along!"

It's a classic buisness strategy, Disney isn't the first and won't be the last to use it.