Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Attendance Tracker

It should also be noted, that what many of you have said is consistent with the fact Orlando continues to see record numbers of visitor and airport travelers to the city go up. People may be spending less time at the parks, but our hotel occupancies stay pretty high. Orlando as a city is doing great so far though! Hopefully the parks can get it together with the pricing.
Makes me wonder how Fun Spot is doing?

Disney can only spin things so far. The parks are not developed enough to handle the crowds they received last summer to the extent it was actually a poor experience at times. In what reality can it be beneficial for guest satisfaction to wait close to 2 hours in hot humid heat for a 2 minute spin on Rock n Rollercoaster - a fun, relatively well themed but off the shelf Rollercoaster that can be experienced as a practical walk on across the world. And then get off the ride and realise you only have another 4 to enjoy - if you don't want to watch a series of shows that were there FOURTEEN years ago. Many west end/Broadway shows don't have such a run!!

Visit Orlando is reporting a 2% drop in tourism this year. WDW is seeing a much larger drop. Universal is inline with the market at -2%. SeaWorld is still struggling. They really needed a strong tourism year.

-2% percent for UOR isn't necessarily a bad thing is it? Is that off from last year or off from this year's projections. UOR has been so far above a 2% number year after year after all. Just perspective.

That is buisness talk for "Hey, we KNOW we are about to take a hit, so let's spin it to the share holders this way so when it happens it seems like it was planned all along!"

It's a classic buisness strategy, Disney isn't the first and won't be the last to use it.
Exactly.

Won't happen because most the talent left Disney to begin with.

Within the ranks the two companies have pretty differing approaches to upward mobility that tends to prevent people from hopping back and forth.

Universal is a "good ol' boys" system where it's all who you know and how nice you are.. and very little to do with merit. Sometimes the nice folks have merit and it works out.. sometimes they don't and it's a hot mess. They also see spots where they feel people have weakness and put them in positions to "develop" these skills... Which often means it's torture for everyone involved until it clicks or they quit or they're so darn nice they're transferred elsewhere.

Disney is pretty much run by a sentient computer program at this point. Everyone's a data point and people are placed accordingly and along with trends in how successful people in a given area match up with them in background, experience, etc.. You wonder how creatives are stunned to learn of the obvious gaping holes in their designs that the internet saw months in advance? Echo chambers. They aren't really "yes-men" but men (and women and people of color and anything that might look good for PR as well) who are intentionally very similar so it's unlikely they'll see things from a different perspective. Your "competencies" as scored and measured through various metrics determine where the sentient computer puts you. Score high on key metrics and you can get away with murder socially.

I'm of the mind that "diversity is our strength" for any given team - but also that merit outweighs social savvy. So I'm allowed to plod back and forth between the two companies, making incremental steps at any given time until I hit a wall internally, which I sidestep with the other company because it likely thinks the opposite. Most people are one or the other though and not nearly as tenacious.

Is Legoland still making a profit? I see the commercials for the hotel, but that could be the only thing open. Legoland still has me bitter over scrapping Starliner, Florida's coaster sweetheart.

I guarantee this will be like other dubious religious based amusement projects. After the fanatics go initially it will deteriorate till it closes. The fact that that got tax breaks is a joke.

I drove down part of I-4 I never drive and saw that Holy Land is still open - just the other day!

These things die harder than one would think.