Attendance Tracker | Page 75 | Inside Universal Forums

Attendance Tracker

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
As Scott says a lot, probably the majority, of Brits didn't realise that Orlando is even in a hurricane zone. Our schools will not allow you to take kids on holiday during term time (they will even fine you if you do) so end of July until beginning of sept is the only time when most can travel. Which is why it's the most expensive time for us to travel. This will put people off for years to come

So how is Irma different than Matthew, Charlie, and other hurricanes that have hit?

They're different because they weren't widely reported. Andrew is probably the last one that made headline news here (apart from Katrina). Irma hasn't been off the news since it hit the first island.

Is it that they weren't widely reported, or that you don't remember them being widely reported? Charley was WAY worse than Irma was for the Central Florida region.

I really find it hard to believe that this will have any significant effect on UK tourism to the area.

They weren't wildly reported mate.
Irma was different for a few reasons imho
Climate change was blamed by a lot of the media
It hit British territories, hard
It was the biggest ever recorded.

The British media went into a feeding frenzy over Irma

Yea, so did our media, and the end result, in all seriousness, was not that bad. Florida has always been synonymous with hurricanes and people still line up to go. I'll be SHOCKED if this has any long term affect at all.

We'll see lol
From personal experience we usually go to Mexico during hurricane season and my FIL is having kittens that we'll be caught in one next year, he's never worried about one in the past. Gang wars yes, but not hurricanes. He's always know we go in hurricane season but never realised they could be so bad until he saw the BVIs literally flattened by Irma

Rumor is that Disney is about to do a round of layoffs because attendance is down at WDW and ESPN is losing money. I'm assuming that this will be a lot of middle management throughout the Disney organization.

Yea, so did our media, and the end result, in all seriousness, was not that bad. Florida has always been synonymous with hurricanes and people still line up to go. I'll be SHOCKED if this has any long term affect at all.

The big difference I'm noticing between Irma and every hurricane before it, is that I knew a lot more people directly effected by this plus with social media and people saying what's happening, it was a lot more in your face.

When I was a kid going, I'd say maybe 1 other family I knew went to Orlando that year. This year, I could probably count at least 30 people I know who have travelled to Orlando. Visitors have steadily increased year on year since the 90s from the U.K.

Reactions: Coasted
The big difference I'm noticing between Irma and every hurricane before it, is that I knew a lot more people directly effected by this plus with social media and people saying what's happening, it was a lot more in your face.

When I was a kid going, I'd say maybe 1 other family I knew went to Orlando that year. This year, I could probably count at least 30 people I know who have travelled to Orlando. Visitors have steadily increased year on year since the 90s from the U.K.
The feeling I got was the day that Irma hit 185mph everyone in the cone took it seriously and prepared as best they could. We had the most powerful hurricane ever in the Atlantic basin headed right towards us and only Cuba saved the day. I think this will have lasting effects on out of state/country visiting til the memory fades. Only reinforced if we get a second or third hit this year.
Boards are still up on my second story and will stay there until it clears out or Christmas comes. I am sure others will think twice before committing thousands on a Florida vacay in the next few months or summer next year.

Reactions: Coasted and Mad Dog
Rumor is that Disney is about to do a round of layoffs because attendance is down at WDW and ESPN is losing money. I'm assuming that this will be a lot of middle management throughout the Disney organization.
Yes, we were discussing this last week on the thread. Touring Plans even adjusted their crowd calendar for longer stand by lines, since standby increased by 10-15 % during each of the last two year's layoffs.

I'm thinking this hurricane could have an effect on next year. A lot of people probably will see this as a regular thing and could be put off visiting.

Crazy think to me, spending most of my life in FL, Labor Day has always been the height of hurricane season. I feel like most years have the treat of a storm in early to mid September.

I did not quote some other post, but we really do not have a lot of crocodiles down here, but lots of gators.

Down here, what I hated about the pre press coverage was how they locked in on the 5 day 'average' model as if it meant something. The three day is good, but that 5 day cone included a Tampa and all, around here, construction in the past twelve years means you can feel somewhat save from the winds, but it is the tidal surges that require evacuations....the press was so leave or die, that the locals really did not plan well...I mean here in Palm Beach County it seemed like they were leave at this time....only to come back and say 'wait, Dade needs to leave first, then Broward, then Palm Beach....

But how in the heck did they ever expect 600k in Dade alone to find somewhere to go??

Gawd, that is an awful admission. I wonder if it at least increased sales to AK?
Increased overall to AK, but that was limited to Pandora. The other AK attractions saw the same or less lines. Pandora seems to have taken attendance from DHS & Epcot. But, as always, MK held their own. And they even tried to prop up Pandora by shortening MK's summer closing hours....Or, at least that's what I've gathered from various Touring Plans analysis throughout the summer. Pandora's initial opening jump, when the locals could attend, didn't seem to last through tourist only crowds.

My intention is to not make this political. It's just interesting how he's been saying this....and that he has been right. Maybe Disney should just get rid of ESPN.

2017-09-15t22-44-18-733z--1280x720.nbcnews-ux-1080-600.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think ESPN's problems have much to do with politics or Trump.The problems/trends are much bigger than that BS stuff.

I just think people now look towards other outlets for their sports news. Plus the backlash from Jemele Hill doesn't help the situation.

I just think people now look towards other outlets for their sports news. Plus the backlash from Jemele Hill doesn't help the situation.
Those problems started long before Trump, Hill, and the political issues of the past year. It's more of a rising costs, & cable vs. alternative viewing sources. This has been going on for a while.

The whole sistauation is just confusing. He's bashing ESPN, owned by Disney, and Disney has to create an AA of Trump to place in one of their attractions. Almost comical.

Reactions: Joel and Mad Dog