1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Attendance Decline?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Galaxy Defender, Jul 5, 2016.

1. epcyclopedia

epcyclopedia BANNED

To note:

• Lower results at Walt Disney World Resort were driven by higher costs and fewer occupied room nights, partially offset by growth in guest spending and attendance, although both were negatively impacted by Hurricane Irma. Higher costs were primarily due to increases in labor and employee benefits, depreciation and marketing. Guest spending growth was due to increased food and beverage spending and higher average daily hotel room rates. Available hotel room nights were lower due to refurbishments and conversions to vacation club units.

So... Even with DHS seriously lagging, Epcot and AK's gains this year made up for it, and Epcot's Food/Wine helped out along with more expensive room.

2. Jon84

Jon84 Have you tried turning it off and on again? Premium Member

Looks like the DLP 25th celebrations are paying off, the parks were much busier for the time of year than usual when I was there last month.

3. GadgetGuru

GadgetGuru Premium Member

It's interesting that Epcot has been able to use events alone to drive up attendance.

I wonder how much of that is attributed to Orlando's boom. Also, I hope Disney doesn't use that growth to justify lessening Epcot's eventual overhaul.

SeventyOne likes this.
  4. epcyclopedia

epcyclopedia BANNED

I wouldn’t say “alone.” Soarin revamp uses the added capacity. Frozen is popular as ever, and M:S is holding a decent wait time with its revamp as well.

The mentality finally seems to be moving away from Eisner’s lie that Epcot can’t grow and was a “mature asset.”

tankart150 and SeventyOne like this.
  5. bob albert

bob albert Veteran Member

Orlando boom is going to help spike attendance everywhere. Epcot has far and away the most options for locals on the cheap to enter and spend money.

tankart150, SeventyOne and Coasted like this.
  6. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

That's what caused Disney to be in this whole mess of MM+ and stagnant parks to begin with.

7. Scott W.

Scott W. Premium Member

8. snayberry

snayberry Veteran Member

tankart150, SeventyOne and Scott W. like this.
  9. UNIrd

UNIrd Premium Member

Looks like they just lifted blackout dates at WDW thru 6/29. I didn't know attendance was struggling this Summer already but on-site hotel pricing for August is better than the Fall even.

MrRoamer and SeventyOne like this.
  10. JungleSkip

JungleSkip Premium Member

Ive said this before, but I less get the sense that Orlando attendance is “struggling” and more the sense that outside of holiday weeks attendance is far more spread out than its ever been. I feel like there’s a higher baseline of crowds year-round in Orlando now rather than the crowds being concentrated in the summer

twebber55, Andysol, Coasted and 3 others like this.
  11. UNIrd

UNIrd Premium Member

100%. But I don't think I've personally seen them lift blackout dates during this timeframe since I can remember so either actual attendance or projected must be really soft thru the month of June.

12. JungleSkip

JungleSkip Premium Member

Could be! But I feel like both Dis and Uni have been lifting blackout dates a lot during the summer months the past few years, whether for CM/TMs or APs.

13. jrn14

jrn14 Member

1. I have been telling people never go to central Florida in the summer and people are finally listening. (probably not, even when I worked at WDW in 2007 the end of May through mid June were relatively less crowded than the last week of June through mid August)

2. I wonder if higher gas prices will effect the summer crowds this year. I also read an article today saying expect plane tickets to start to go up due to the increase in fuel prices.

14. SeventyOne

SeventyOne Veteran Member

In addition to lifted blackout dates, offering $79 1-day tickets for friends of APs, $160 3-day tix for FL residents. Definitely expecting a soft Summer.

Coasted, jtsalien, Joe and 1 other person like this.
  15. UNIrd

UNIrd Premium Member

And a lot of FL schools have already been out for a week when they used to not be let out until this weekend or next, so maybe that's why they made the move now after not seeing an expected influx this week.

SeventyOne likes this.
  16. zg44

zg44 Member

NBCU's earnings bear that out as well; the past 3-4 years especially Universal Parks has had its highest growth rates in the 1st and 2nd quarters of the year. 3rd and 4th quarters are still quite a bit larger but growing more slowly.

SeventyOne and JungleSkip like this.
  17. jtsalien

jtsalien Hello. I'm the Doctor. Basically, run. Premium Member

It's a soft year. The most exciting addition may be a Lagoon show. That's lame for Orlando :lol:

SeventyOne likes this.
  18. Galaxy Defender

Galaxy Defender Premium Member

Blackout dates kick back in right around when Toy Story Land opens. Maybe some visitors are waiting for that.

The part about hotel rates in August being better than in the fall is interesting. I wonder at what point all the new Universal hotels starts to put a dent in Disney's occupancy rates? Of course, all Disney has to do is offer hotel deals to fix that short term.

I would think at some point the inability to get fast passes for key attractions and storied of very long waits for those attractions will start to drive down Disney attendance. How many families are willing to wait 3 hours for a five-minute ride?

SeventyOne likes this.
  19. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

But, no matter all the Disney negatives, and they are many, I would guess WDW attendance will be solid for the next few years since they've finally started to build the new lands and attractions they should have been building before. That, and the big anniversary coming up, should drive attendance. Heck, I'm even excited about the new stuff, and will probably soon lift my moratorium of staying on WDW property.

twebber55, jtsalien and UNIrd like this.
  20. Scott W.

Scott W. Premium Member

When did you last stay at Disney?

I’m staying at Pop Century in September for a week (My first time staying at Disney) and already I’m struggling to get reservations for Be Our Guest and Brunch at the Top. A spot opened today for Be Our Guest and within 5mins it was gone. It's becoming almost essential to stay at Disney to guarantee a FP and reservation at your first, second or even third choice. When I'm 60 days out, I'll be straight on to get my FP.

I'm at some what of a crossroads of where to go from here in the next few years as Disney's own success is making it a nightmare to plan a good trip plus most of the resort is a construction zone but they're ready to deliver on so many great new rides that you can't not go.

On the flip side, I'm pretty set on staying at Hard Rock this year and the Express Pass makes things a million times easier compared to Disney but Universal need to take a drastic step with their app and website as it feels 5 years behind where Disney is currently at and as Universal expands, it really needs to step up it's game.

Coasted likes this.