1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Discussion in 'Games, Movies & Sports' started by Nick, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

I was surprise we didn’t have an actual dedicated thread for this after doing a search. Anyway, Jon Landau and James Cameron are out promoting Alita: Battle Angel, and have revealed that production has wrapped on both movies.

Avatar 2 is scheduled for a December 18, 2020 release with Avatar 3 scheduled for December 17, 2021.

Avatar 4 & 5 are dependent on the success of 2 & 3.

https://www.comicbook.com/movies/amp/2019/01/14/avatar-2-disney-fox-production-jon-landau/

SeventyOne likes this.
  2. Andysol

Andysol Veteran Member

I’m nervous for the first sequel. Considering they filmed both at the same time, I’m fearful it will have “middle movie syndrome” and have an unresolved ending that doesn’t fully satisfy anyone.
    Either way, I think this will be one to see at the movies and I wouldn’t expect anything other than the most visual pleasing movie we’ve had since, well, Avatar.

Here is an interesting theme park note from the interview:
    Not to mention the massive ~15% attendance boost.
    Of course he’s thrilled.

3. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

With his recent public comments I bet he’s more happy the park is drawing a larger dinner crowd (and the alcohol sales that come with it and after it).

4. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Veteran Member

no doubt it did wonders for AK.

I think it's wise they are "waiting" on 4&5. I really think 3 is more then enough.

5. Andysol

Andysol Veteran Member

No doubt. There were quite a few skeptics on this board, but Pandora: World of Avatar was an unabashed success.

It was also a picture perfect way for Disney to expand their park:
    -Add new and expand existing areas
    -Add new and expand existing shops
    -Add new and expand existing restaurants
    -Add new nighttime show and nighttime elements like Tree of Life
    And THEN open their brand new incredible land that they had been building and knew was coming.

It was flawless.

Then, you have DHS. What a sht-show. Yes, we have MMRR and TSL. But overall, it’s basically:
    -Close a bunch of stuff
    -Open Star Wars

6. Nick

Let’s try and keep this more as a movie thread and discuss Avatar in the parks in the appropriate thread.

7. TheGentTrent

TheGentTrent Member

Avatar 2 will have so much good will and hype from the first film that there's no way it can flop. Even some of the its critics will show up out of curiosity.

After that is where things may start to go south.

8. Nick

Easily a billion dollar earner too as long as the international market plays anywhere close to how it did in 2009. Even half as well.

Andysol and TheGentTrent like this.
  9. TheGentTrent

TheGentTrent Member

And that international market's expanded a hell of a lot more than it did 10 years ago (to the point where a guy who talks to fish can join the billionaire's club).

Andysol likes this.
  10. Brian G.

Brian G. Staff Member Administrator

I am done doubting Cameron - but part of the appeal, or draw, from the first movie was the whole "you need to see this in theaters because of the 3D and the film tech we used". I don't think it'll be the all-timer but I'm sure it'll make money - but I wonder what the goal line is for them.

Andysol, Joe and SeventyOne like this.
  11. HereWeGo

HereWeGo Member

From what I've been hearing, the second one will most likely still have that "need to see in theaters" feel to it because of the new underwater tech they're using for the film.

12. Nick

I’m sure the budget for these two films was incredibly high, but I can’t imagine it would be so high that the movie won’t be significantly profitable.

13. belloq87

belloq87 Veteran Member

The middle ground between light and shadow...
    Even if they're successful, I hope Cameron stops after 3. I would hate for him to be stuck making AVATAR movies for the rest of his life, and would much rather see him get to direct other things before his career ends.

Andysol likes this.
  14. Nick

If they’re successful, sequels will definitely happen. I get what you’re saying, but Disney is gonna own Fox when these movies are released. If they’re hits, you know Disney will milk it until they stop being profitable.

15. belloq87

belloq87 Veteran Member

The middle ground between light and shadow...
    I'm aware.

I would just like to see another non-AVATAR movie from Cameron before he's dead.

16. Andysol

Andysol Veteran Member

Just because something is successful and future Avatar films will be made does not mean that Cameron will be the director behind it. Possibly a producer in name only.
    This is true with any brand, but in particular Disney.

17. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

On twitter I made a joke about why they’re not making a “live action” Pocahontas but now I realize why not.

Scott W. likes this.
  18. Scott W.

Scott W. Premium Member

He seems quite involved with the new Terminator film and I pray that it's a worthy sequel.

I missed Avatar in the cinema and after watching it not that long ago, I kind of regret that so I won't make that mistake again.

I think it could be highly likely that Avatar will return to the big screen before Avatar 2 hits, if it does, would this add to it's box office?

Andysol likes this.
  19. Nick

To be clear here, Disney (well, Fox) only has the distribution rights to Avatar. Cameron owns the Avatar brand. Meaning if Cameron wants to direct, he’s gonna direct.

20. Nick

More info coming out of Alita:Battle Angel press rounds from Jon Landau on Avatar sequels. The most interesting bit being that the sequels... aren't sequels at all? Well, according to Landau at least, each movie designed to be a stand-alone movie, so Avatar isn't required viewing before Avatar 2. Basically, it sounds like they are fully aware of everything people have been saying about the movie for years about the characters being forgettable and never gaining a following. Full quote from Landau:

Each movie is a standalone movie that we would wanna go see. You don’t need to have seen the first Avatar to see Avatar 2. It sits there and we’re gonna take people on a visual and an emotional journey that comes to its own conclusion. Okay, step back. Is that a movie we would wanna make just as a standalone story? Yes. Now we do the same thing on Movie 3, Movie 4, and Movie 5. What we have the luxury of on Avatar is the world of Pandora. We get to keep it there but everything can be new, we’re not treading new ground.

The Avatar Sequels Will Be Standalone Movies, According To The Producer