Avoid Parking Fee for First Time AP? | Inside Universal Forums

Avoid Parking Fee for First Time AP?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Dec 30, 2012
I hate to sound like a cheapskate (though I guess I am) but does anyone have a good method, after buying a new AP online, to avoid paying parking the first time before you pick up the pass? Either somewhere nearby to park free and walk, or is there a pick up/drop off area where two of us could take turns leaving the car do get our pass? Thanks in advance for advice

There is a passenger pickup/drop off area... I guess one could go and use the AP while the other sat in the car. You'd only need one to get the free parking...

Thanks for responding. I think what I'm trying to do is find a way to get to the ticket booths without pulling into the parking garage. I thought I remembered an area near the mini golf where there is a staircase and what looks like a loop for drop off/pick up. I'm thinking of having each of us walk to the gate one at a time to collect/activate our ticket.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a passenger pickup/drop off area... I guess one could go and use the AP while the other sat in the car. You'd only need one to get the free parking...

Thanks! I was typing it out just as you were! I hoped this was possible.

I thought they gave your money back after? Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like years ago they did.
That used to be the case but the policy was changed a few years ago. I did not know of the policy change, so I went to Guest Services and they offered me some one time use Express Passes and a few coupons for food.

That used to be the case but the policy was changed a few years ago. I did not know of the policy change, so I went to Guest Services and they offered me some one time use Express Passes and a few coupons for food.

Any sort of compensation is fairer than none. I wouldn't be surprised if they still would do something.

Yep, no longer free or reimbursed. From Universal's site, the benefits on Preferred and Premiere APs: "Free self-parking (after first visit)"

Your best (or only) bet is for one of you to be get off at the Drop Off Area, activate an AP, return to the car and then go to the parking structures. Don't leave your car there, though. You're not supposed to park in this area and you may get in trouble. Drive around and come back to pick up the other person activating the AP.

My fiancé went without me one time when it was time to renew her AP and the parking attendant directed her to a 30 min parking area. Unfortunately I do not know where it is located.

Sometimes if you're lucky and somehow you can relate to the attendant they will just let you park for free. A long time ago before having an AP I showed up to park in a Gators shirt and the parking attendant just happened to be a Gator fan and let us through complimentary. :thumbs:

I do believe that if you bring your receipt, they will reimburse you after proof of AP.

This is incorrect.

Go here, tell the attendant that you need to return something you purchased from citywalk and will need temporary parking. DO NOT mention that you are picking up an annual pass.

Last time I bought a pass online, I parked at TGI Fridays, walked over and processed my pass, entered USF to activate/link the pass. Walked back over and picked up my car and moved it into the parking garage. I asked the TGI Friday's people first, and they said it was OK.

I just stayed at days inn on caravan ct (in walking distance) and walked the first day.
Now that this thread is out and they clearly state not good on first visit .
I think they may block first day in the computer.
or you could go the night before and get the after 6 parking rate
Can the after 6 rate be refunded if you eat at a citywalk Restaurant?

I like Disney's parking situation much better. The first day I bought my AP, I told them I was going to buy one and they let me right through no questions asked.

They're MUCH less picky about it. I don't know what the exact situation is now, but the fact that Universal won't reimburse the AP holders for their first day of parking is pretty ridiculous.

I like Disney's parking situation much better. The first day I bought my AP, I told them I was going to buy one and they let me right through no questions asked.

They're MUCH less picky about it. I don't know what the exact situation is now, but the fact that Universal won't reimburse the AP holders for their first day of parking is pretty ridiculous.
They could at least reimburse the parking fee with a Universal Gift Card.

Funny, the one time I let my AP lapse I ordered another online and they sent it to me. I expected to pay parking but the attendant told me the system was telling her that the parking was free. I didn't argue. Perhaps they attached the new pass to my old account?

It's crazy how ridiculous universal is with their parking they're the only one.
Disney is obviously the easiest place to get free parking at.
Busch/Sea World scans tickets like Universal but their AP voucher is scannable and gets you free parking with it.

Well the nice thing about Disney too is that there is a way to get free parking no matter what :lol:

I discovered how to park for free at Disney's ticket and transportation by accident. We went to Magic Kingdom once and drove thru Visa Blvd which is the road Ft Wilderness is and it dumps you out right past the toll plaza and if you circle round past Poly and Hess there is a turn around point on the left that will dump you into the lanes for parking that are past the toll plaza as well. :thumbs: