Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Best of 2017 (Entertainment)

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
After some thought, I decided to create this thread so that we can not only say our favorite films of 2017, but also what is best from television this past year. Hopefully this change works out, as I think it may be for the best.

As far as lists go, here's mine..

Film
1: Dunkirk
2: Coco
3: Baby Driver
4: Logan
5: Get Out
6: Thor Ragnarok
7: Jumanji - Welcome to The Jungle
8: The Last Jedi
9: The My Little Pony Movie
10: Murder on Orient Express

Television
Still working out my list on that, but I do have Series of Unfortunate Events, MLP, and Stranger Things 2 in my top 3.

Interesting list. Really wasn't expecting the My Little Pony movie.

My favorite thing on TV was Twin Peaks, but I don't think you should watch it.

Film (in no particular order):
- Baby Driver
- The Disaster Artist
- Lady Bird
- The Florida Project
- The Last Jedi
- Dunkirk
- Blade Runner 2049
- The Big Sick

Bold = Top 3

I don't watch near as much TV so the only things I would list would be Master of None, Stranger Things and maybe a few others. Anyone seen The Marvelous Ms. Maisel? Been meaning to check that out.

Interesting list. Really wasn't expecting the My Little Pony movie.

My favorite thing on TV was Twin Peaks, but I don't think you should watch it.

It's more of fond memories with the community that pulls it there. And that while I did really like Lego Batman, age hasn't been kind IMO.

That said, this year was not kind to animation, outside of a few films.

And that's not considering that I wanted to really see films like Shape of Water, I Tonya, Blade Runner, and a few others; but couldn't get the chance to do so.

I've considered watching TP, but that it's more of a hesitation thing for me on that front.

Movies:

1. mother!
2. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missorui
3. Get Out
4. The Big Sick
5. Coco

Still have a lot of expanding limited movies to see like The Shape of Water, Phantom Thread, Call Me by Your Name, The Post, etc.

TV:

1. The Leftovers
2. Twin Peaks
3. Big Little Lies
4. Master of None
5. Better Call Saul

1. Your Name
2. Coco
3. A Silent Voice
4. Spider-Man Homecoming
5. The LEGO Batman Movie
What can I say, I'm a very big animation fan and saw very little non-animated movies this year. I'm sure Get Out, Logan, Disaster Artist, or Shape of Water would be on there if I had the chance to see them though.

Movies

5) Jumanji
4) Dunkirk
3) Thor: Ragnarok
2) Guardians of the Galaxy 2
1) Baby Driver

Honorable Mention: John Wick 2, the second act of Coco

(haven't seen Darkest Hour or Shape of Water yet)

TV

5) Mr Robot
4) WestWorld
3) American Gods
2) Stranger Things 2
1) The Good Place

Honorable Mention: Game of Thrones, The Americans (both good but lost a step), Vice Principals

Bonus for those in Orlando since I did it on Twitter already--Live Theater

5) "The Producers"-Bay Street Players
4) "The Roast of Batman"-Geek of Comedy
3) "The Hamlet Project"-Orlando Fringe
2) "A Christmas Carol"-Phantasmagoria
1) "The Chains of Fire"-Phantasmagoria

Honorable Mention: the final AP performance of "Bill & Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure"

1. Your Name
2. Coco
3. A Silent Voice
4. Spider-Man Homecoming
5. The LEGO Batman Movie
What can I say, I'm a very big animation fan and saw very little non-animated movies this year. I'm sure Get Out, Logan, Disaster Artist, or Shape of Water would be on there if I had the chance to see them though.

There are two reasons why I don't place YN in the 2017 list, mainly more due to how Your Name wasn't really released in 2017. It was a 2016 movie, released first in Japan in August of that year.

Regardless of if the dub was released this past year, I only credit a film by it's original release date.

Bonus for those in Orlando since I did it on Twitter already--Live Theater

5) "The Producers"-Bay Street Players
4) "The Roast of Batman"-Geek of Comedy
3) "The Hamlet Project"-Orlando Fringe
2) "A Christmas Carol"-Phantasmagoria
1) "The Chains of Fire"-Phantasmagoria

Honorable Mention: the final AP performance of "Bill & Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure"

Fascinating to see that Theater got love this year from yourself. Never considered that before.

Changing the thread title to be more inclusive of 2017 media.

Regardless of if the dub was released this past year, I only credit a film by it's original release date.

The dub was released in 2016 but didn’t get wide spread distribution till 2017, I’d count it in 2017 myself.

Anyway, my 2017 GOTY:
1) Persona 5 (duh)
2) Super Mario Odyssey
3) Roller Coaster Tycoon Classic
4) Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
5) Mario + Rabbids
6) Golf Story
7) Cuphead
8) Night in the Woods
9) Horizon Zero Dawn
10) Sonic Mania

Last edited by a moderator:
Fascinating to see that Theater got love this year from yourself. Never considered that before.

I realize it's somewhat limited--most tourists are never going to see a live show off theme park property, and even if you did, would be a small sample at best--but Orlando as a whole has a great theater scene, always try to promote that. If you're coming down for HHN/HoS anyway, for example, I can't understand not taking a night to catch Phantasmagoria.

My games of the year:
1) Super Mario Odyssey
2) Persona 5
3) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
4) Nier: Automata
5) Sonic Mania
6) Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
7) Metroid: Samus Returns
8) SteamWorld Dig 2
9) Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment
10) Splatoon 2
Honorable Mentions: Cuphead and Horizon Zero Dawn. I have played very little of these two games but I know if I played them more they'd definitely be in my Top 10.

Top 5 Game of 2017
-Persona 5
-Breath of the Wild
-Cuphead
-Super Mario Odyssey
-Bomberman

Top 5 Films of 2017:
-Your Name (Foreign Film)
-Get Out
-Along with the Gods (Foreign Film based off a comic)
-Shape of Water
-Split

Top 5 Songs of 2017
-As If Its Your Last-Blackpink
-Supermodel-SZA
-Humble-Kendrick Lamar
-Shape Of You- Ed Sheeran
-Believer-Imagine Dragons

Top 5 Television Shows of 2017
-The Good Place
-Mr Robot
-Goblin (Foreign TV show)
-Happy!
-Riverdale

Top 5 theatre shows of 2017
- Death Note The Musical
- Hamiliton
- Mean Girls the Musical
- M Butterfly
- Miss Saigon

Top 5 books of 2017
-Monkey-Translated version of the Chinese book Journey to the West
-School of Good and Evil Series
- The Handmaiden Tale
- Mortal Engines Series
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a (expletive)

Film (in no particular order):
I don't watch near as much TV so the only things I would list would be Master of None, Stranger Things and maybe a few others. Anyone seen The Marvelous Ms. Maisel? Been meaning to check that out.

Marvelous Ms. Maisel
Oh yea I've seen the entire season. Its fantastic with no dull moment in the entire 8 episodes. Would be in my top 10 shows. Some moments are a little heavy so its harder to binge.

Last edited:
I don't get to the movies as much as I wish but I caught a few..

Film
-Get Out
-Split
-IT
-Logan
-Guardians of the Galaxy 2
-Baby Driver

TV
-Search Party (Don't sleep on this show)
-Black Mirror
-Stranger Things 2

I’ll narrow it down to my top 5 entertainment related things, too hard for me to do a top 5 for every category.

5. Thor Ragnarok- Another solid entry into the MCU. I was let down/underwhelmed by the other releases of the year, GOTG2 and Spider Man. Not so much Spider Man but I was tremendously let down by Guardians

4. Star Wars The Last Jedi- I only became a Star Wars fan 2 years ago in the lead up to Force Awakens. Watched the Original Trilogy and liked them, but I loved Force Awakens. Also really liked Last Jedi. It was a tad too long but I liked it enough where I can’t see where all the outrage from the hardcore fans is coming from.

3. Stranger Things Season 2- Not as good as the first season but a solid entry. Can’t wait for Season 3

2. Super Mario Odyssey- Mario is probably my favorite game franchise/character so I was heavily anticipating this. Bought the Switch the first chance I had so I can play this at launch. Loved the game. Not sure where it ranks among Mario titles for me but it’s up there. So much to do after the main story too.

1. Nintendo Switch- I’ve always considered myself a Nintendo guy so it’s great to see Nintendo back up there with Sony and Microsoft. The Wii Years were rough. Looking forward to see what Nintendo has in store for 2018.

Honorable mention- Game of Thrones. Finally bit the bullet and started watching it. Liked it but didn’t love it. The early seasons were confusing for me because there are so many characters/storylines. I’m still bummed like the rest of the fans that it’s not coming back until 2019.

Movies:

1. mother!
2. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missorui
3. Get Out
4. The Big Sick
5. Coco

Still have a lot of expanding limited movies to see like The Shape of Water, Phantom Thread, Call Me by Your Name, The Post, etc.

TV:

1. The Leftovers
2. Twin Peaks
3. Big Little Lies
4. Master of None
5. Better Call Saul

We’re pretty similar on TV. Witherspoon was fantastic. And the leftovers is my clear favorite for #1 as well.

I’m glad you, me and 200 other people got to see it :)

GoT- my love/hate for that show. I almost quit after the Jump the shark moment- when Jamie and Bron somehow didn’t drown or get spotted while wearing full armor and swords (and a gold hand) and swimming across an entire giant lake with an army and dragons surrounding them. But Somehow I still tuned in the next week.
But hey, I stuck through 5 seasons of walking dead and 4 seasons of sons of anarchy before quiting so I guess I’m just a glutton for punishment.