Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

Side note, "Black Panther 2" is just the working-title for now. It will eventually get a subtitle.

Marvel Studios is moving ahead on Black Panther II, with a production date slotted to begin in July of 2021.

Tenoch Huerta (Narcos: Mexico) is in engagements to play one of the antagonists, as Letitia Wright, Lupita Nyong’o, Winston Duke and Angela Bassett are all expected to return. Out of all the returning actors, Letitia Wright's character will possibly be getting more attention, in the absence of Chadwick.

Additionally, indications have poised that they have no intention to fill the void of Chadwick with a CG Body double.

I don't envy the filmmakers trying to figure out how to proceed. I don't think there's a good option.
The hardest part will be how to handle the transition from T’Challa to whoever takes the Black Panther mantle. Shuri would work perfectly as it’s how the comics go, but handling the death will be difficult.

The hardest part will be how to handle the transition from T’Challa to whoever takes the Black Panther mantle. Shuri would work perfectly as it’s how the comics go, but handling the death will be difficult.

I'm not fully convinced that Shuri -- as we've seen her -- can carry a movie as a lead. She works as a fun, comedic-leaning supporting character.

I'm also not sure she brings anything unique to the table, personality-wise, in the eventual future team-up movies. We've got the young, wisecracking, tech-literate bases covered already with Peter Parker. T'Challa supplied a uniquely stoic, noble energy to the lineup, and while he wasn't totally humorless, he was definitely one of the more serious heroes (by design, and that's a good thing).

I'm not fully convinced that Shuri -- as we've seen her -- can carry a movie as a lead. She works as a fun, comedic-leaning supporting character.

I'm also not sure she brings anything unique to the table, personality-wise, in the eventual future team-up movies. We've got the young, wisecracking, tech-literate bases covered already with Peter Parker. T'Challa supplied a uniquely stoic, noble energy to the lineup, and while he wasn't totally humorless, he was definitely one of the more serious heroes (by design, and that's a good thing).
In the future team-up movies, we're looking at...
  • Kate Bishop as Hawkeye
  • Falcon as Captain America
  • Shuri/someone else as Black Panther
  • Peter Parker (and potentially Miles Morales?)
  • Doctor Strange
  • Scarlet Witch
  • Captain Marvel
  • Thor
  • Ant-Man & Wasp
  • GotG
  • Blade
Then after that, we probably dive deep into the X-men.

I think it's best that they recast the role of T'Challa and then transition to Shuri. One of the things I was really looking forward to was the potential route of bringing Storm into the Black Panther Universe to start introducing the X-Men.

I'd much rather Marvel fast-track the Fantastic Four (and, more specifically, Doctor Doom, who is a goldmine of potential if they finally just do the character the way he's supposed to be) before they reboot the X-Men.
For my part, I have zero interest in FF as a straight property. What I would do with it is a semi-comedic period series set in the mod sixties (think Austin Powers less over the top and fewer Swedish pumps.) You could use Howard Stark and Agent Carter, and introduce another big Macguffin for the movies.

For my part, I have zero interest in FF as a straight property. What I would do with it is a semi-comedic period series set in the mod sixties (think Austin Powers less over the top and fewer Swedish pumps.) You could use Howard Stark and Agent Carter, and introduce another big Macguffin for the movies.

I could definitely see a period take on the FF that is lighter and snazzier in tone.

I'd want Doom taken seriously, though. There's so much you can do with him, and he's a natural antagonist for several of the MCU heroes (a head-of-state like Black Panther, a sorcerer like Doctor Strange, a technological genius like Stark, Banner, Peter Parker, Shuri, etc.) in addition to the animosity with Reed Richards.

I think it's best that they recast the role of T'Challa and then transition to Shuri. One of the things I was really looking forward to was the potential route of bringing Storm into the Black Panther Universe to start introducing the X-Men.
I just really, really doubt Marvel is going to recast unless it’s in a way similar to Paul Walker and he has a brother that can step-in. I think it’s better to just move on.

If anything, I think the dude from up on the mountain may have a chance at this spot before Shuri. But I’d bet money on them not actually recasting.

Last edited:
I could definitely see a period take on the FF that is lighter and snazzier in tone.

I'd want Doom taken seriously, though. There's so much you can do with him, and he's a natural antagonist for several of the MCU heroes (a head-of-state like Black Panther, a sorcerer like Doctor Strange, a technological genius like Stark, Banner, Peter Parker, Shuri, etc.) in addition to the animosity with Reed Richards.
Yeah, I'd keep Doom out of my take. Beyond the fact that it would break timeline logic in terms of making him a big bad in the MCU, FF at its core is a nonsense story about a dysfunctional family. I'd keep worldbeater villains out of their orbit, the same way I feel about Spider-Man.

Yeah, I'd keep Doom out of my take. Beyond the fact that it would break timeline logic in terms of making him a big bad in the MCU, FF at its core is a nonsense story about a dysfunctional family. I'd keep worldbeater villains out of their orbit, the same way I feel about Spider-Man.
MODOK would be fun in a 60s era superhero movie...

Puppet Master and Mad Thinker would work too.

I am sooo confused by how this film is filming in July

Actors months ago said they have no interest in a sequel because of the main characters actor death,,,but they already are going to film it? They either are replacing him (gross) or somehow changed the entire script in 2 months?

I am sooo confused by how this film is filming in July

Actors months ago said they have no interest in a sequel because of the main characters actor death,,,but they already are going to film it? They either are replacing him (gross) or somehow changed the entire script in 2 months?
The actors literally have no choice since they are contractually obligated to film another movie and Disney is filling their pockets.

I get Chadwick's death was too early and out of nowhere since he didn't tell anyone about his cancer, but Black Panther is a fictional character. It's an unfortunate circumstance that Marvel needs to work around. But the Black Panther dates back to 1966 and there have been many iterations of him - Chadwick is just one of those iterations. Stan Lee died within the past few years. When he died did people say to stop making Marvel movies because he created a ton of the characters? Nope.

Obviously it's not exactly the same, but my point is, his death is unfortunate, but we also need to move on. Do you think Chadwick would've liked BP2 to be cancelled because he died? We'll never know, but I highly suspect the answer to that is no based on how he conducted himself.

Obviously it's not exactly the same, but my point is, his death is unfortunate, but we also need to move on. Do you think Chadwick would've liked BP2 to be cancelled because he died? We'll never know, but I highly suspect the answer to that is no based on how he conducted himself.

In addition to which - I agree by the way - what Chadwick would have wanted is irrelevant in any meaningful way.