Boba Fett Anthology Film (Cancelled) | Inside Universal Forums

Boba Fett Anthology Film (Cancelled)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
LucasFilm has rer that James Mangold (“Logan”) will direct a Boba Fett Anthology Film.

The film is likely to be released in 2020, after Star Wars Episode IX, currently scheduled for release December 2019.

The Star Wars Boba Fett Movie Is Happening — James Mangold to Direct | Hollywood Reporter

Mangold's work at Fox with Logan was some of the best in the past decade for comic films, and that's not even mentioning 3:10 to Yuma.

I can instantly see this as his take on a sci-fi spaghetti Western, and to go in a somewhat darker direction for Star Wars (like 1313 dark), so color me really amped for this one of it happens.

Reactions: HereWeGo

Mangold's work at Fox with Logan was some of the best in the past decade for comic films, and that's not even mentioning 3:10 to Yuma.

I can instantly see this as his take on a sci-fi spaghetti Western, and to go in a somewhat darker direction for Star Wars (like 1313 dark), so color me really amped for this one of it happens.

I'll be amped if we see Kathleen Kennedy kicked to the curb after Solo winds down. I just don't see how a movie like you described gets made in the current structure. Especially since they finally did take a bit of chance with RJ on Last Jedi, and the fanbase basically revolted. I'm not terribly worried about Ep 9 since we've seen JJ succeed under these circumstances before, but I just don't see the current regime handing over the reigns to someone to make "their" film again anytime soon.

So they'll make a bland movie ablut an extremely overrated character. Meh.

I'll be amped if we see Kathleen Kennedy kicked to the curb after Solo winds down. I just don't see how a movie like you described gets made in the current structure. Especially since they finally did take a bit of chance with RJ on Last Jedi, and the fanbase basically revolted. I'm not terribly worried about Ep 9 since we've seen JJ succeed under these circumstances before, but I just don't see the current regime handing over the reigns to someone to make "their" film again anytime soon.

(Edited as realized you mean Rian Johnson)

I was talking with a few individuals, and we do agree that Solo should do the ripple effect that causes anything post IX to be handled more in lines with Marvel than by Kennedy's.

I think they need someone who can steer the franchise into a direction that'd be exciting and unique, but I do think that Kennedy needs to be let go of Lucasfilm (atleast, for Film).

If the option would ever come open, I would love to see Dave Filoni take on live-action, as he has killed it with The Clone Wars and Rebels.

Reactions: jtsalien
Reviving this thread since James Mangold revealed his pitch for Boba Fett. It's too bad this never happened:

“At the point I was doing it I was probably scaring the poop out of everyone,” Mangold said. “I was making much more of a borderline R-rated, single planet spaghetti Western. They probably would never be able to embrace Baby Yoda if I had made that. It didn’t really belong in the world I was kind of envisioning.”

Reactions: Nico