Boulangerie et Patisserie Expanding | Inside Universal Forums

Boulangerie et Patisserie Expanding

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jakemeister

V.I.P. Member
Feb 1, 2008
Central, Fl
While nothing is yet confirmed by Disney directly on this, we’ve got some GREAT potential news for those who love the France Boulangerie et Patisserie in Epcot.

In a Notice of Commencement filed with Orange County on February 23, 2012, Walt Disney’s Operations Development department indicates that the bakery in Epcot’s France pavilion will be undergoing an expansion! Let’s hope for a more efficient queue as well as ample seating!

Proposed Improvements

The description of improvements specify that the France bakery will involve two floors, an over 3000 sq. ft. kitchen, Cast rest rooms and a break room, and relocation of the QSR. (I’m guessing this means Quick Service Restaurant).

Source: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/02/25/update-france-bakery-expansion-in-epcot/

Sounds good to me.

Reactions: BJCool
I really love that Disney is continually trying to make efforts to improve World Showcase, despite not dropping the capital spending for a new attraction. It shows that at least they care about keeping things fresh and giving a better guest experience.

And for me, food is definitely one the best factors of World Showcase, and all of the improvements made recently have been awesome. Between this, the work done to the interior and menu of the Katsura Grill in Japan, and the complete renovation of Tutto Italia with the addition of Gusto wine bar in Italy, it's great to see all the upkeep of these areas for guest enjoyment!

Orlando Theme Park News takes a look inside the Boulangerie et Patisserie in their latest trip report.

ibvC6uvO7fH44g.JPG

ibfL7dJ0FbHtDO.JPG

The Disney Parks Blog has posted a Q&A with Jerome Bocuse, president and owner of the company that runs Bistro de Paris, Les Chefs de France, and Boulangerie Patisserie in the France Pavilion.

The interview reveals that an overhaul is on the way for Bistro de Paris, including new decor, new staff uniforms, new menu, and a "less stuffy" atmosphere. Also of note is changes currently happening to Boulangerie Patisserie, which includes additional seating for 90, a new Glacier ice cream parlour, and salads and sandwiches being added to the menu.

mfp209816SMALL.jpg

It’s all happening behind the scenes, but by early December, Bistro de Paris in the France Pavilion at Epcot will have a whole new look plus a new name, and by mid-December, a new bakery will be open. Guests may not even notice the construction, as the downstairs Les Chefs de France remains open, as well as the Boulangerie Patisserie bakery and pastry shop.

We talked with Jerome Bocuse, president and owner of the company that runs all three – and son of world-famous Chef Paul Bocuse – about the upcoming changes:

What’s the biggest change guests will see in the new upstairs restaurant?

Jerome Bocuse: It’s all new – new name, new dining room, new costumes for the servers, new menu. We’re still aiming for haute cuisine, but with a less formal atmosphere. Guests are in the park with their families, so we want to create an elegant, nice ambience, but not stuffy. Our guests want to experience true French cuisine.

Tell us a little about the new décor.

JB: Servers will be in less formal attire – no more tuxedoes – and the room colors will be fresh and bright. The theme is our family history, as we’ve been in the culinary business for two centuries. We have a long tradition of French chefs in the Bocuse family.
And cuisine?

JB: We want to offer a taste of the true cuisine of France – classical, but with an approachable, affordable twist. We brought a chef over about a year ago from a Michelin 3-Star restaurant in France, so he’s ready to go.

Bistro de Paris has lots of fans, why change the restaurant now?

JB: We’ve never changed the restaurant since it opened more than 25 years ago, and it’s time for a new look and new theming based on our family’s history.

How about the Chefs de France downstairs, any changes?

JB: It is a classic brasserie, and will stay the same.

Tell us about the new bakery.

JB: We have a new building under construction at the back of the pavilion [the theater exit area]. We’ll have a bread oven, and do baking for all three restaurants there in a show bakery.

Are you changing the Boulangerie Patisserie menu?

JB: We are expanding the menu to add salads and sandwiches so our guests can have a meal in the bakery, with about 90 seats.

And what happens to the old pastry shop?

JB: It’s our new Glacier ice cream parlor!

Stay tuned for more details.

I have to admit, an ice cream shop in WS is pretty brilliant--one of those things I didn't realize it needed until just now. And more table space for the patisserie is a definite plus.

A bistro (French: [ˈbiːstrəʊ]), sometimes spelled bistrot, is, in its original Parisian incarnation, a small restaurant serving moderately priced simple meals in a modest setting. Bistros are defined mostly by the foods they serve. Home cooking with robust earthy dishes, and slow-cooked foods like cassoulet are typical.

I didn't know that Bistro de Paris was moderately priced. I also didn't know they served crock-pot casseroles. They've been wearing tuxedoes all this time; in a bistro? *rolls eyes*

Hmmm "more affordable". Will the food be as good? I had an amazing dinner at the Bistro a couple years a go.

I sure hope it stays good. I haven't eaten at Bistro de Paris yet, but did eat at Chef de France and the food was amazing. Should stay the same at Bistro, I imagine.

The Boulangerie Patisserie is probably my favorite place to go catch a snack while walking in Epcot. So this is fantastic news. I love their chocolate croissants.

Bistro de Paris's new name is officially.......Monsieur Paul. :look:

From Orlando Theme Park News

Epcot's "Bistro De Paris" to Reopen with New Name
If you have picked up one of the newest park maps of Epcot, you have surely noticed some new additions, like the fact that the December 6, 2012 grand reopening of Test Track is now officially acknowledged, or that the flags representing the various World Showcase pavilions have been moved to the right of the country's name.

Of all the changes in the park map, one definitely stands out the most. In fact one of the restaurants in the France pavilion of the park is soon going to reopen with a new name. We are referring to the former Bistro de Paris, an upscale French restaurant that was closed some months ago to be completely renovated. The new name of the restaurant will be "Monsieur Paul", which means Mister Paul, of course. Now, what has changed inside the restaurant itself? It looks like we will find out very soon, as the restaurant is slated to reopen early next month. We will continue to keep you up-to-date.

From OTPN's Facebook:

ibdr9N7ai2Tpqs.png

From Disney Parks Blog

‘Monsier Paul’ Restaurant Debuts December 11 Upstairs at Epcot France Pavilion
“Monsieur Paul restaurant introduces the culture and the authentic taste of French cuisine that Chef Paul Bocuse introduced to the world,” says Jerome Bocuse, son of the famous French chef and president and owner of the company that runs the new restaurant re-opening December 11 in the France Pavilion at Epcot World Showcase.

Upscale but less formal than the former Bistro de Paris, the new decor captures classic French architecture with fresh colors and a touch of modernism. “The newly renovated restaurant inherits the air of hospitality of my father’s restaurant as each staff member goes above and beyond to offer the warmest, most inviting service possible,” says Jerome.

iblGyyij8movzm.jpg

Monsieur Paul will be decorated with mementoes of Chef Paul Bocuse’s extraordinary culinary honors – he achieved three Michelin stars for 48 straight years at his famous Lyon restaurant, Auberge du Pont de Collonges. The Bocuse family has an important place in the culinary world, most recently with Paul Bocuse being named “Chef of the Century” by The Culinary Institute of America. “Monsieur Paul” was the name cooks used in the 1950s to address a young Paul Bocuse in the kitchen to differentiate him from his father George Bocuse, also an established chef—and the nickname has stuck throughout Paul’s life.

“My father, Paul Bocuse, first opened Les Chefs de France here at Epcot in 1982 with Chefs Gaston Lenôtre and Roger Vergé – it was the first and only Bocuse-affiliated restaurant in America,” says Bocuse. “Things have now come full circle, with me having the opportunity to open a restaurant here bearing my father’s name – I’ve seen the dining scene change and we are evolving with it.”

iRAi4ftOuvPnO.jpg

The aim is not to replicate the dishes from the Lyon restaurant, but to serve both classics and interpretations of them in a setting that’s more contemporary.

The white linen tablecloths and tuxes for servers are gone, creating an upscale-but-less-formal approach to French dining. Crisp white shirts, purple ties and long black aprons give the servers an “elegant-but-approachable look,” says Bocuse.

i7U8Yev9VU6Hd.jpg

The new menu, created by Chef Francesco Santin who worked with Chef Bocuse in his restaurant in Lyon for 15 years, is built on the Bocuse tradition of French classical cuisine with “the freshest ingredients, the perfect temperature and just the right seasoning,” says Jerome.

“Chef Santin brings invaluable experience from Lyon to the restaurant, including his knowledge of the classic dishes, techniques, and flavors of France,” says Bocuse. “ However, it is still important for us to showcase American ingredients.” For instance, a classic Bocuse fish entrée prepared in France with rouget (red mullet) is re-imagined at Monsieur Paul with red snapper from Florida.

i4vg8KO81q55V.jpg

Guests can expect dishes such as Soupe aux Truffles V.G.E. (black winter truffle and beef broth soup), Homard du Maine à L’Armoricaine, riz Pilaf (Maine lobster, vegetable brunoise, bisque, rice Pilaf) and Carré d’Agneau en croute d’herbes, pissaladière Niçoise, cassolette de flageolet (herb crusted rack of lamb Niçoise style tart with goat cheese, onions, arugula cassoulette of flageolet beans). For a sweet finish, Soufflé chaud au grand Marnier (warm Grand Marnier soufflé) and Entremet au trois chocolats (triple chocolate cake) are just two of the desserts.

“We want guests to experience authentic French cuisine – but they don’t have to dress up and spend a lot of time,” says Jerome. “We’ve thoughtfully adapted Monsieur Paul to our guests’ vacation experience. ”

Monsieur Paul will be open seven days a week for dinner beginning at 5:30 p.m. Reservations can be made by contacting 407-WDWDINE or online at http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/reservations/dining/.

Bon Appétit!

From @easywdw

iA3YDOEIcoPcF.png

Last edited:
Scott Joseph posted a review of Monsieur Paul: http://www.scottjosephorlando.com/index.php/reviews/recent-reviews/56-french/1976-monsieur-paul

Additionally, Disney Food Blog posted the full menu of Monsieur Paul....

Appetizers

Raviole d’escargots, crème au persil
Escargot raviole, cream of parsley $16

Saumon mi-cuit mariné, salade de concombre
Lightly cooked marinated salmon, blinis, cucumber salad $17

Soups and Salads

Soupe de Moules safranée, crème légère aux fenouils
Mussel soup with saffron, light fennel cream $15

Salade Gourmande Monsieur Paul
Dry aged ham, braised leeks, Parmesan crisp, celery cream $14

Soupe aux Truffes V.G.E.
Beef broth, oxtail, vegetables, black winter truffle, puff pastry $29

Homard du Maine à L’Armoricaine, riz Pilaf
Maine lobster, vegetable brunoise, bisque réduction, rice pilaf $29

Fish

Rouget Atlantique en écailles de pommes de terre, fenouil, sauce romarin
Red snapper in potato “scales”, braised fennel, rosemary sauce $41

St. Jacques Parfum d’Hiver, émulsion de crème au rhum
Seared scallops, black truffle spaghettini, romanesco cabbage, rum cream emulsion $42

Meat

Poulet aux Morilles, cromesquis, jus bruns
Roasted free-range chicken breast, carrots, jumbo asparagus, morel jus $38

Magret de canard aux épices, navet confit, pommes paillasson, compote vierge
Roasted duck breast, oriental spices, turnip confit, grated potatoes $41

Filet de bœuf grillé forestier, purée de pomme de terre, sauce Bordelaise
Grilled beef tenderloin with mushroom crust, mashed potatoes, Bordelaise sauce $43

Menu Classique (Pre Fixe Menu — $89)

Soupe aux Truffes V.G.E.
Beef broth, oxtail, vegetables, black winter truffle, puff pastry
or
Homard du Maine à L’Armoricaine, riz pilaf
Maine lobster, vegetable brunoise, bisque, rice Pilaf
Note: this item is also available as a main entree.

Côte de Bœuf pour deux, Haricot Vert, Pommes fondantes, sauce au poivre
Roasted bone-in rib eye for two, green bean and fondantes potatoes, black pepper sauce
or
Carré d’Agneau en croute d’herbes, pissaladière Niçoise, cassolette de flageolet
Herb crusted rack of lamb Niçoise style tart with goat cheese, onions and arugula cassolette of flageolet beans

Desserts

All $13

Moelleux au chocolat noir et amandes, croquant feuilletine, glace pralinée
Warm chocolate and almond cake, feuilletine, and praline ice cream

Soufflé chaud au Grand Marnier, sauce à l’orange
Warm Grand Marnier soufflé with orange sauce

Vacherin glace vanille, sorbet framboise, crème chantilly
Vanilla ice cream and raspberry sorbet in a meringue with whipped cream

Millefeuilles aux Fruits rouges
Red Berries Napoleon with light lemon cream and strawberry sorbet

Entremets aux trois chocolat, glace au chocolat
Triple chocolate cake with chocolate ice cream

Crème Caramel, macaron, glacè au caramel fleur de sel
Crème caramel served with a sea salt caramel ice cream macaron

From @WDWNT

Eating at Monsieur Paul tonight, just opened last week

ibluBXUVWTGvOe.jpg
Very fancy

imOPJHzsBx13b.jpg
I had the tenderloin, it was very, very good.

ibc78nazDZ0UXf.jpg
Scarlett had the duck, it was better

ibiLSkoPsHQWSl.jpg
Monsieur Paul was good. So many good restaurants at Epcot, not sure it ranks in my top choices.
I would come for wine and dessert, not much else.

From @TouringPlans

Checking out the new Monsieur Paul in France in Epcot.

iTtdT7dqzLWCP.jpg
Escargot Ravioli

iGMBga6WC2yRo.jpg
Duck, Beef, and Vegan entrees at Monsieur Paul.

iiyXWIXPEOEIv.jpg

iLF9DiVrk4dgZ.png
Grand Marnier souffle.

ipHOwxe4v9Iy6.jpg
I would definitely go there for wine and desserts. Probably would have dinner there again but not in a hurry to go back.

Last edited:
One of the things they said when changing the restaurant was to make it more mainstream and easier for people to enjoy. The prices are just as high and the prefixe menu is around double of the Bistro. I just dont understand the change, the Bistro was fantastic. :shrug:

Boulangerie Patisserie les Halles is now open for business, including breakfast before the rest of World Showcase opens. The bakery/cafe has moved into a much larger space where the gift shop used to be. The former location will reopen as a gelato shop.

From Disney Parks Blog

New Bakery Opens at France Pavilion at Epcot at Walt Disney World Resort
What a treat! The big, new Boulangerie Patisserie les Halles at the France Pavilion opens each morning at 9 a.m. – ahead of the 11 a.m. opening of World Showcase – so you can sip a latte with a chocolate croissant to start the day . . . or a cappuccino with a chaussons au pomme (apple turnover) . . . or an espresso with an éclair. And that’s just a taste of the expansive new menu that offers classic French goodies all day long.

iscYCAHdAACP8.jpg

The new bakery is “at least 10 times” larger than the former sweet shop, says manager Eric Weistroffer, which soon will become and Glacier, an ice cream shop. Located in the space adjacent to the France movie theater exit, Boulangerie Patisserie les Halles offers sweets, soups, sandwiches, salads and authentic French dishes such as quiche, Croque Monsieur (grilled ham and cheese) and pissaladiere, the pizza-like dish from the South of France, this version with tomatoes, olives and Gruyère.

iYcQzNm49yPsY.jpg

The Lyonnaise salad is another classic, with frisee, bacon, eggs, croutons and light vinaigrette. Add pumpkin soup or lobster bisque for a satisfying meal. Plenty of choices are on the Disney Dining Plan.

ib0JfZLw6WDMLy.jpg

You can imagine the wonderful aromas with French artisan bakers in the beautiful onstage bakery. Grab a seat in the courtyard and watch the world go by as you sip a Champagne and share a cheese plate and baguette. La vie est belle (life is beautiful)!

Photo update from WDWMagic

ibydOcMvPbP66v.jpg

ibzp2Mn9qwahVL.jpg

i6gdn3HZL9Rol.jpg

ipQAOeMalpnGx.jpg

iqhU2NM5XiuK8.jpg

Additionally, WDWMagic posted the full menu:

Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie menu

VIENNOISERIES

Croissant - plain 1.95
Pain au Chocolat 2.85
Brioche au Sucre - sugared brioche 3.50
Sacristain - pastry with chocolate chips and cream 3.65
Frangipane - almond filling between puff pastry 3.70
Chaussons aux Pommes - apple turnover 3.85

TARTES

Fraises - vanilla cream, topped with strawberry 4.75
Citron - lemon cream topped with meringue 4.25
Chocolat - caramel cream and chocolate mouse 4.50
Pommes - puff pastry dough with caramelized apple 4.25

DESSERTS

Napoleon - puff pastry layered with cream 4.25
Eclair - vanilla or chocolate cream 3.85
Creme Brulee - caramalized vanilla custard 3.75
Parfait aux fruits - yogurt mousse with berries 3.25
Mouse au Chocolate 4.25
Duo Au Chocolate - white and dark chocolate mousse cake 5.75
Exotique - mango and coconut mousse cake 5.85
Framboise - raspberry mousse cake 5.50
Biscuit Chocolate - chocolate chip cooke 2.95

SOUPES

Soupe de Potiron - pumpkin soup 4.25
Bisque de Homard - lobster bisque 4.90

SALADES

Marche - lettuce, vegetables, lemon dressing 5.50
Nicoise - tuna, potato, egg, beans, tomato, dressing 9.25
Lyonnaise - frisse, bacon, egg, croutons, vinaigrette 8.25

SANDWICHES

Cold

Jambon Beurre - ham and cheese, dijon mustard butter on a demi baguette 6.25
Dinde BLT - turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato and garlic ailoi 8.50

Warm

Croissant Jambon Fromage - ham, cheese and bechamel in a croissant 4.75
Poulet au Pistou - chicken breast with cheese, tomato, red onion and pesto 9.00

SPECIALITES

Quiche Lorraine - ham, gruyere quiche 5.20
Ficelle au Lard - mini baguette, bacon and herbs 3.50
Roule au Fromage - baguette, garlic and cheese 3.95
Baguette half 1.85, full 2.95
Quiche Florentine - spinach, goat cheese quiche 6.20
Pissaladiere - tomatoes, olives and gruyere cheese 4.50
Croque Monsieur - toasted ham and cheese 8.75
Fromages - imported cheese plate 9.25

BOISSONS

Espresso - regular or decaf 3.00
Cappuccino or Latte - regular or decaf 3.75
Cafe - coffe, regular or decaf 2.50
Chocolat Chaud - hot chocolate 2.50
The - hot tea, regular or decaf 2.25
Eau - Dasani bottled water 2.50
Perrier - sparkling water 4.25
Soft drinks 2.59 - 2.99
Jus D'Orange 2.39
Lait, Lait au chocolat, milk, chocolate milk 1.29
Limonade - premium French soda, lemon or blood orange 5.10
Cappucino Glace - ice cappuccino 4.25
Granite a la Fraise - strawberry smoothie 4.25

VINS AND BIERE

Champagne 12.21
Bourgogne Blanc 6.85
Chardonnay 5.87
Bourgogne Rouge 7.25
Bordeaux 7.98
Kronenbourg 1664 6.57

Oooh, I like this very much. It needed the extra space and definitely the seating area. Fantastic upgrade for the Patisserie.

Now, doesn't Impressions de France unload into the space? Anyone know what became of the right side of the old gift shop?

I dig this, so much. From the extra seating, to all of the food that looks :drool5:icious, to the reasonable pricing. And even the fact that they've added an ice cream shop at the previous location :thumbs: World Showcase is one of the few things that make me want to go to Disney.

Now, doesn't Impressions de France unload into the space? Anyone know what became of the right side of the old gift shop?

I think the gift shop is still there, just smaller. Look to the right in this pic:

ibzp2Mn9qwahVL.jpg