Building Disney's Animal Kingdom | Inside Universal Forums

Building Disney's Animal Kingdom

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 16, 2009
30 Rock
Disney Parks Blog posted the article seen below, which got me thinking. So here is a thread you all can post in if you find any interesting pics/plans/stories from the early stages of WDW's fourth and largest gate. One of the more interesting stories surrounding Animal Kingdom has always been the plan for Beastly Kingdom and how it never came to fruition.

To start off, here is a short article of the construction of the park's icon, the Tree of Life!

In honor of 14 years of wild times at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park, I thought it would be fun to take a closer look at the park’s icon, The Tree of Life.

btl238951SMALL.jpg

This 145-foot tall tree is covered with approximately 103,000 leaves and has more than 325 animals intricately carved into its trunk. More than 8,000 branches spread foliage 160 feet wide over the park below.

[video=youtube;SiXOrERXxKM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiXOrERXxKM[/video]​

The Tree of Life is home to the attraction “It’s Tough to be a Bug!” showcasing the stars of Disney·Pixar’s film “A Bug’s Life.” Even though I’ve seen the show a few dozen times, I still jump every time Hopper sends the stingers to attack – you’d think I’d be prepared.

I went the first month this park was open. The park really changed from the original vision. Me and my nephew did the boat ride which didn't last to long as a ride. When the park opened if I am not wrong opening time was either 7:30 or 8:00 and we took the safari out to see the animals when they where first let out. I will never forget my first ride on Countdown to Extinction the ending is so different wish i had bought that picture. Still a great park.

^ yep, for a theme park 'how did that do it', there are not a few pictures in the book that I have stared at for great lengths of time. I could go on and on about each of them.