Camera Equipment Questions and Recommendations | Inside Universal Forums

Camera Equipment Questions and Recommendations

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Andy

aka Hatetofly
Platinum Member
Mar 16, 2010
Thought we could use a thread like this and I'm gonna take advantage of just that lol.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a Rokinon 35MM 1.4 Wide Angle Lens for Canon Cameras? I want to purchase a new prime for low light hand held situations like HHN street scenes, walking in the parks at dusk and most specifically dark rides. I've never used a lens that is all manual so I was just wondering if anyone here has and mastered the art of focus. The reviews I've read online all rave about the sharpness as well.

My other two options I'm considering are the 50mm 1.4 Canon Prime or the Canon 28mm 1.8 lens. I have the budget really for any of the three but given what I like to shoot does anyone have any recommendations or ideas for me? I've been using the plastic wonder 1.8 for about a year now and have outgrown it so to speak and am ready for something a little more "capable." I will also say my biggest complaint of the 50mm 1.8 plastic wonder is the fact it's a 50mm and once you figure in the crop factor it's cutting quite a bit out. Hence why I'm considering the 28mm 1.8.

For those who wouldn't mind I would appreciate any feedback on this $500 investment please.

Rokinon 35mm 1.4
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/35mm-f-...3.p?id=1218420234306&skuId=3611083&st=Rokinon 1.4 35mm&cp=1&lp=8

Canon 50mm 1.4
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-e...lack/9979969.p?id=1218204947964&skuId=9979969

Canon 28mm 1.8
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-e...lack/4192879.p?id=1218463155980&skuId=4192879

Htf, you know which lens I recommended but it's a little too pricey but is a beast :lol:

I say the Rokinon lens. And it's funny cause after these few nights at HHN I'm in the same boat as you with trying to find a better lens. There is an older Sigma also that might be worth checking out.

I don't really have any advice, just a comment. I do use the auto-focus feature, but it always ask myself why. Personally, I do not know why I do not take over the focus myself. I just feel the camera Sheldon knows where the focus point is and I hate when I have to fight the thing to focus at the correct point.

I did not read up on the lens, but can you play around with your current lens in a manual focus mode to get a feel for it?

I think I am saying you seem to have a good eye and I think it is something you would get comfortable with rather quickly. For me, I find in a theme park setting, there are often items in the field of view that you really aren't trying to focus on anyway and the auto focus can easily pick the wrong subject.

just to give an example, in this shot, I just snapped it real quickly to capture the bird flying by. If I had set the focus, I would have used the barrel up by the bird, my camera picked the green jar thing closes to me. This was shot with a Prime 35/2 on my good ole Rebel Xs....man I need a camera body with a better processor before I think of any new lenses...

I don't really have any advice, just a comment. I do use the auto-focus feature, but it always ask myself why. Personally, I do not know why I do not take over the focus myself. I just feel the camera Sheldon knows where the focus point is and I hate when I have to fight the thing to focus at the correct point.

I did not read up on the lens, but can you play around with your current lens in a manual focus mode to get a feel for it?

I think I am saying you seem to have a good eye and I think it is something you would get comfortable with rather quickly. For me, I find in a theme park setting, there are often items in the field of view that you really aren't trying to focus on anyway and the auto focus can easily pick the wrong subject.

I've found shooting manual focus takes longer than using the AF in most circumstances for me anyways. The only time ill shoot manual is on dark rides, using my fisheye (which is a MF lens anyway) or shots using the tripod where im not so much focusing on moving object. I just find im not as fast as AF when it comes to capturing for the most part.

I have a question that has to do with deciding between two cameras, either the Cannon 70D with 55-200MM lens, or the Nikon D5200 with 55-300MM lens. Any thoughts?

I have a question that has to do with deciding between two cameras, either the Cannon 70D with 55-200MM lens, or the Nikon D5200 with 55-300MM lens. Any thoughts?

On paper its hard to tell if Canon 70D looks better than the D5200 although its more pricey. Looking at the advantages of the D5200 I would almost say those would benefit me more than the advantages the Canon has

Id look around the net for some sample pictures from both to see how well they do. There is a a few hundred dollar price difference so that might influence your decision also.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-70D-vs-Nikon-D5200

Guys, currently running a Sony a230 with kit 18-55mm lens. I'm looking for something a bit wider, maybe fisheye.

Any recommendations or tips for buying?

I have a question about lenses.
I am new to slr photography and have a Nikon d5100.
I want to expand my lens collection and want a few lenses including a fisheye.
I have seen a couple of fisheye lenses for as little as £50 which is obviously much more attractive to me than a £200 one... However I am a big believer in you get what you pay for... Are the £50 ones terrible and a false economy?

No Problem, send a PM with camera questions to Hockeyman. We have many great photographers here at OU and Mike is my go to guy for all camera related questions.

Figured I'd ask this here as it's at least somewhat relevant to the topic.

Anyone have any experience with data recovery services, specifically from impact/fall related drive failure? I knocked my external drive off the TV stand while I was adjusting my TV, it was powered on, and now it shuts itself down automatically after about 30 seconds of attempting to spin up. I know it's going to be in the $1k+ range, so nothing I could afford anytime soon, but I want to have an idea of if anyone's had to deal with data recovery like this, unlikely as it is. This sucks.

Figured I'd ask this here as it's at least somewhat relevant to the topic.

Anyone have any experience with data recovery services, specifically from impact/fall related drive failure? I knocked my external drive off the TV stand while I was adjusting my TV, it was powered on, and now it shuts itself down automatically after about 30 seconds of attempting to spin up. I know it's going to be in the $1k+ range, so nothing I could afford anytime soon, but I want to have an idea of if anyone's had to deal with data recovery like this, unlikely as it is. This sucks.

I wish I could help you with this one but I have no experience with this. Hopefully it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg

What kind of drive is it SSD or typical drive? When it is powered on do you hear any noises prior to it shutting back down?

If an SSD fails there isn't anything to retrieve data from. If it is the old platter based style you may have a chance. First thought would be to take it to a repair shop that my be able to look at it rather than data recovery.

I'd say, first of all connect it to a different computer and see what happens.
Is it a drive with a separate power connector? Otherwise what Adonis says, try a repair shop, could be that it is just the power unit in it that is damaged.
Also, if you do get it to work, do a full scan automatically detect and repair mechanical errors.

The power supply is fine, it's a WD My Book network drive. I listened to it when I tried to get it to start back up and could hear some unusual clicking and maybe grinding noises. It tries to spin up, but shuts itself off after 2 or 3 tries.

I may try a repair shop just to see what they say.