Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Captain EO closing permanently December 6

Thanks goodness! But kind of shocked. With Frozen coming next year they are going to have some capacity issues in that park. Even a third theater is not going to solve all of it. Hoping they quickly do something here. There is some empty buildings that they could do something first with.

Thanks goodness! But kind of shocked. With Frozen coming next year they are going to have some capacity issues in that park. Even a third theater is not going to solve all of it. Hoping they quickly do something here. There is some empty buildings that they could do something first with.
Yeah, as much as I want a complete Imagination redo, next year will be rough with Soarin down, Frozen not open yet, TT likely going 101 due to rain a lot and now this. Not to mention an entire side of Innoventions has been shuttered since March or so.

I do suspect they'll continue using this as the new place for showing movie previews for the time being (instead of at the Sounds Dangerous theater) as they did with Tomorrowland and Inside Out earlier this year.

Yes, the show is so very dated and needed to go sometime. But I question the timing due to the huge capacity issues that all of the WDW parks are dealing with. All of these years of attendance gains have suddenly caught up with the lack of enough new openings. I've seen that Touring Plans line time rating system is now so out of whack that they're revising most of their projections amidst an uproar from very vocal upset subscribers.

the water fountains outside of the theater were more entertaining anyway.

This... I sat there for about 30 minutes with the kids one day watching the fountains because we were doing some stuff at the time. It entertained all of us.

I hope something is shown in that theater until they decide to redo that whole place. I hope it doesn't sit empty like so many other buildings in Epcot.

Sadly, it probably will.
Nah, that theatre will be rented to the Movies division for movie previews. In that theater they can even add effects to go along with the preview!

I'd lock up on a Finding Dory preview in there, probably around F&G or a little after.

Captain EO was a real special case of wasted talent though. With so many talented people involved from Francis Coppola, George Lucas and renowned choreographer Jeffery Hornaday to Michael Jackson and Anjelica Huston. The score was even done by James Horner!

Yet even with all of that high-profile talent on-board, the project still somehow turned out to be a trainwreck.

Captain EO was a real special case of wasted talent though. With so many talented people involved from Francis Coppola, George Lucas and renowned choreographer Jeffery Hornaday to Michael Jackson and Anjelica Huston. The score was even done by James Horner!

Yet even with all of that high-profile talent on-board, the project still somehow turned out to be a trainwreck.

Eh, that might be a little harsh. It was a product of its time, just didn't age very well.

So sad to hear this, yes it was dated and yes it wasn't technically good but this was my favorite thing in all of Epcot. Such a bummer to see it finally go because it's just a glorious sight to see. Long live EO and long live MJ

Eh, that might be a little harsh. It was a product of its time, just didn't age very well.
I'll admit I love watching it every now and then, but only for the pure cheese factor. It's pretty much the 80's completely encapsulated in 17 minutes of film.

It cost about 23.7M back then though, which would be about $50M today. That's just insane for a 3D theme park movie.

On the other hand, pixar shorts are really really funny... It would be the first time I ever entered that theater if just to cool off and giggle.
Paperman is my favorite. And that was actual a pretty emotional journey for just a few minutes.