Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Car Hire

Jan 23, 2019
Any recommendations for which company to use for hiring a car from the airport in Orlando?

Used Dollar once before in California and they were absolutely awful.

I’m a fan of Alamo, they’re reasonably priced, you can check in online, and you have the option of “skipping the counter” and going straight to the car. The cars are all in parking garage and easy to get to.

I usually use thrifty. I've gotten as like as like $13 a day with taxes clicking the best deals button on the thrifty site. Same company as dollar but never found prices as good booking from the dollar site. I find them to be acceptable quality and efficient in Orlando. I would definitely not use them in a number of cities as the experience in other locations can vary a lot more vs the less budget focused companies.

Misunderstood that it was a rental. I would suggest checking the prices across all of them, a lot of times there will be some pretty big differences based on the time and day.

Biggest piece of advice is to use gas buddy or something like that when you're refilling the tank on the way back. We have a few gas stations that gouge pretty hard and one of them is right next to the airport.

I’ve been using Sixt for my last few visits. It can be a little pricy on the lower end but cheaper if you want something a little nicer like a bmw, or a Mercedes or Land Rover.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I decided to go with Alamo because they were offering a free GPS which would cost an extra £120 to add on.
Now, which side of the road do you drive on again....?

Kinda off topic but don't really want to start a new thread. Does one really need a car? I am planning on going to Disney and universal in September and staying at Wilderness Lodge. Just plan on Disney transportation and the Uber to Universal.

Now that Disney implemented parking fees renting doesn't really make much sense for the average person.​

Kinda off topic but don't really want to start a new thread. Does one really need a car? I am planning on going to Disney and universal in September and staying at Wilderness Lodge. Just plan on Disney transportation and the Uber to Universal.

It depends. I love the freedom my last trip when I crashed at friends places and did an airbnb. My next trip to UOR only and staying on site I’m just using Lyft to/from airport.

It really depends on what you are looking to do. Wilderness Lodge has some good food and is also practically one of the Monorail resorts so you should be ok from that standpoint.

If you aren't trying to do anything other than theme parks, I would say just use Lyft. You'll save some money in absurd parking fees (both parks and resorts) and also some sanity not having to deal with the traffic and trying to figure out how to get where you need to go. Orlando roads can be confusing and I-4 is not a fun road to drive on.

With the amount of driving about I did, I figured it would be about $100 cheaper to use uber by the time that the rental, parking charges and fuel are accounted for but $100 is more than worth the cost for being able to go when I want and not having to wait about to get picked up plus that $100 would have been spent way over with the ability to drink every day by not driving.